Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talbot Hall/Irish Life apartments

• 07-09-2020 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

Is anyone around here living in Talbot Hall or Irish Life apartments ?

I would like to hear some opinions about the noise from the neighbors, how are the apartments, management fees etc.

Many thanks for helping here....

Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Don’t do it, gardiner street a load of hostels are let out to some less than savoury characters, the whole area is overrun by feral youths , drug addicts and alcoholics. Underground carparks regularly broken into by homeless people looking to steal from cars. The intersection between talbot and gardiner street is a petty crime blackspot.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Yes walk through Talbot Street pretty much any time of the day and you will see an absolute kip of a place populated by "the unwell".

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Wouldn't recommend it. Methadone Clinic close by leads to some horrific sights at times around there. Not passing judgement, these clinics have to be somewhere, just had horror stories told to me by my mother on a weekly basis who. worked in Irish Life and saw some horrific things on her lunch breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Used to have an apartment in that area, my motorbike got set on fire somehow one time (in the so-called private underground car park). A few months later the whole underground car park was set on fire, resulting in nearly all cars destroyed and the mains gone for a couple of days as the mains fuse box must have been in the car park. A car was rammed into the apartment block another time directly below my second floor apartment.
    It was not a safe place to walk around after dark, I wouldn't recommend the area one bit despite its proximity to the city center.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I got the off/on the bus every day for 10 years there, it is easily the worst part of the city centre IMO. I have seen some things there I wouldn't care to describe at this time of the day for fear of putting people off their lunch.

Do not touch that place with a 10 foot clown pole

• Advertisement

I think this is one of the few times everyone has resoundingly agreed with each other in a boards thread. Terrible idea OP, everyone in agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I think this is one of the few times everyone has resoundingly agreed with each other in a boards thread. Terrible idea OP, everyone in agreement

Pretty crazy that somewhere so central and on land worth so much would be such a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Its crazy alright. I also rented an apartment in the Kingscourt apartment building on Parnell street in the 00's and loved it, never any issues in the five years I was there before the landlord wanted to sell it, central to everything and safe enough out at night and it's barely one km from where the OP is asking about. Local knowledge is everything when buying near the city center it would seem.
    Also rented on Mountjoy street beside the "Black Church" in the late 90's where the Paddies day parade starts from and no issues there either.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Ush1 wrote: »
    Pretty crazy that somewhere so central and on land worth so much would be such a kip.

the social housing blocks around what used to be 'the Monto' are almost incapable of gentrification or regeneration. sean mcdermott street / foley street etc.. will always be absolute holes. The only people who take flats there are the descendants of current residents.

The Georgian preservation society is to blame for problems further up the road, mount joy square and its surrounds have all been left to rot divided up as 'apartments' no better than tenements , some businesses and a lot vacant. It houses a lot of Roma gypsies and other immigrants the government either has no knowledge of or has turned a blind eye to. Any attempt to modernise or regenerate and its the aul GPS in to tell builders they have to use heritage paints and traditional ways of renovation etc... meaning the project is completely unprofitable.

Supercell wrote: »
    Its crazy alright. I also rented an apartment in the Kingscourt apartment building on Parnell street in the 00's and loved it, never any issues in the five years I was there before the landlord wanted to sell it, central to everything and safe enough out at night and it's barely one km from where the OP is asking about. Local knowledge is everything when buying near the city center it would seem.
    Also rented on Mountjoy street beside the "Black Church" in the late 90's where the Paddies day parade starts from and no issues there either.

Dublin is mad like that, you can be on a street thats lovely and no issues, turn a corner and its practically a warzone. Dublin 8 is very much like that now. Couldn't pay me to walk the canal at dolphins barn at night, 1km up the canal and its million quid properties, latte sipping and thoroughly middle class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 alanoprita

Thank you guys, this is very useful.

Still wanted to see if someone lived in those apartment on Talbot Hall or Irish Life area.

I would be interested if you can hear your neighbors through the walls or what problems you faced when you rented or owned apartments in those buildings.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

alanoprita wrote: »
    Thank you guys, this is very useful.

Still wanted to see if someone lived in those apartment on Talbot Hall or Irish Life area.

I would be interested if you can hear your neighbors through the walls or what problems you faced when you rented or owned apartments in those buildings.

Thanks

Honestly you will, you won't need anyone that lives there to tell you that as Irish apartment are built to a shocking standard....

You will hear toilets, pumps, doors, people above etc etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 slavicap

YOU CAN HEAR THE NEIGBOURS, NOT AS BAD AS SOME OTHER PLACES. YOU CAN ALSO HEAR LOTS OF DIFFERENT MACHINERY NOISES AND THE MANAGEMENT COMPANY DOEST REALLY DO MUCH OTHER THAN PAINT HALLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

^^ It must be very bloody loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

If you have the money doing nothing then maybe buying and hoping that sometime in the next 20 years the place gets a makeover as then it would have potentially to double/triple in price. However buying to live in it now would be a no no

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Phoebas wrote: »
    ^^ It must be very bloody loud.

WHAT.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The Georgian preservation society is to blame for problems further up the road, mount joy square and its surrounds have all been left to rot divided up as 'apartments' no better than tenements , .

What could the Georgian preservation society have done about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Friends of my partner live in the very same area, whenever she visits I really feel I should go with her as it's not safe for her to be strolling around. And in fairness I don't feel safe when walking with her....
    On the flip side, her friends own the apartment there and love it.... Baffling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

And in fairness I don't feel safe when walking with her....

Are you worried she will attack you? Sounds more like a post for personal issues!

That area is Dublin's Skid Row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 slavicap

it is. correct reading of the caps. its more so constant humming and non-reactive management. you can hear the neighbors but mine are quite low key. most of them are Asian and inherently polite.

There is humming that comes on with the heating in my apt only that management does nothing about. this is loud high pitched and stops with the heating at 11pm.

however the block over, block a (im in block 5 west oriented) has a backup generator and this is on 24/7.

now.. its not super loud but after a month it drills into your brain. it is non stop buzzing.

i am quite literally going mad.

Advertisement