Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GPS watch for 55 year old eyes

• 09-09-2020 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Any recommendations for a GPS watch for my 55 year old eyes. Now need reading glasses for phone, laptop etc so could do with a watch with a larger readout. Don't need anything too expensive. Need to have distance, pace & stopwatch. All on separate screen readout is file. Heart monitor would be a bonus but not totally necessary. Any recommendations from you older runners.

Thanks,

T.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

My close up vision has become dreadful recently!

I use a MI Band 5 - and it has the option to change screens so you can find one that suits your eyesight. Cheap as chips too - I think I paid 25 euro. I have been using Mi Bands since the first one, Im a bit of a "watch breaker or loser" so I didnt want an expensive one. Also waterproof and the battery life is excellent.

Has heart rate monitor, sleep monitoring, stopwatch, distance - not sure it has pace? (I dont tend to use it for that).

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

You could also check out some of the Amazfit range of smart watches. They are at the lower end of the price point and have some very good options covering GPS, HR and multiple activities with some larger watch faces like the 47mm GTR/GTS. The Huawei watches are also nice and well priced but don't work with Strava in case that is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

If you go the Garmin route, any of the the forerunner series watches I've used allow you to customise the available screens to show up to four pieces of data - if you limit each screen to one or two, the readout is large enough to see without glasses for many of us aul lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

I need reading glasses, +2.
    I have a Garmin, vivoactive music 3, have it set to display 3 lines of text, it's readable with a squint, you can change it to 2 or even 1 line for greater readability. You can set it to cycle through multiple stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

You can use some Garmin watches to do audio prompts to your headphones. Like lap pace etc. So say you were doing intervals it can announce what pace you did last lap at etc.

I only this year realised that I needed glasses for distance. I would not feel save not running with them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭pm9999

+1 for the Amazfit GTR 47mm. I've just bought one for logging long distance/multi – day walks, but the metrics are the same as for running. The screen is huge and display very readable – info is much more quickly assimilated by me than from my wife's Forerunner 45.

Some photos at http://tinyurl.com/y5ax6cdq for you to judge.

When walking (or running, or several other activities), screen swipes toggle you between A, B and C. Screen D is a pace screen that pops up at a (selectable) distance interval. (Screen D disappears a bit too quickly for my liking and there's an anomaly in the firmware. The “1km” at the top of the screen is wrong – I'm set to Imperial measure- but the mph reading is correct for last mile speed).

Your tick list (including heart rate) is covered with the exception of a manual stopwatch. All you get is an activity timer that auto – pauses when you do.

It's also quite handsome as a watch – see photo.

App is a bit clunkier than Garmin Connect, but gets there. The cheapest Amazfit 47 on Amazon today (stainless steel case) is GBP 126.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Garmin 920xt. Screen is huge and easy to read. Bit old now but you should be able to get one cheap with a bit of searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Thanks for all the replies. Was talking about it at work & a colleague has a Garmin Forerunner 405 with a damaged strap & she bought a new one. I've got that 405 from her & have being playing around with it. Looks like it will do what I need once I repair/replace the strap. One display per screen & 3 different screens available so can do time, distance & pace. Can see it fairly well when on in daylight. Will give this a go.

Many thanks for all the replies,

T.

Advertisement