Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone Courses

• 27-08-2020 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,170 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

Heading to Athlone for a few days in September, mid-week, and I'm looking for two good courses in the area. Staying in Athlone town but don't mind driving within say 30 minutes. Any suggestions? I see Athlone Golf Club, Glasson and Mount Temple. Any others or would you recommend any of these? All players would be pretty new with high handicaps

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

This is it wrote: »
    Evening all,

Heading to Athlone for a few days in September, mid-week, and I'm looking for two good courses in the area. Staying in Athlone town but don't mind driving within say 30 minutes. Any suggestions? I see Athlone Golf Club, Glasson and Mount Temple. Any others or would you recommend any of these? All players would be pretty new with high handicaps

Thanks.

Moate is a lovely course worth visiting not too punishing and some great holes, best par 3 in Ireland I believe (my opinion) great food in a lovely clubhouse afterwards. BTW I'm not a member just an occasional visitor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,170 ✭✭✭This is it

I don't get out much on full courses, usually squeezing in a par 3 of an evening, so I'm hoping to play two full courses. I'll definitely keep that as an option though, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭kyleman

I don't get out much on full courses, usually squeezing in a par 3 of an evening, so I'm hoping to play two full courses. I'll definitely keep that as an option though, thanks :)

Moate is a full course.

kyleman wrote: »
    Moate is a full course.

Ah, apologies. I took it that it was a par 3 course, like Balheary in Swords. Thanks for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Evening all,

Thanks.

You didn't say anything about squeezing in Par 3 courses here in your post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

-AZb9puzBc-f2hCkS5KS-ouwne5N29eBD11mwQYfVIVPV-8Lyi7NAy9znmevdnNAq5zqS2m2Pn6sa8K06R7ThXo5Y60ZYorDFpQ

I am a member in Moate and it is most DEFINITELY a full course. :D:D:D

You'll find Athlone and Mount Temple are too but Glasson is currently reduced to 12 holes (and maybe less at times I hear) as they are doing a major redevelopment over there.

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    You didn't say anything about squeezing in Par 3 courses here in your post

When you said "best par 3 in Ireland" I thought you meant it was a Par 3 course, a misunderstanding, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Athlone GC is a fine course, well wort a round if in the area.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Forget about Glasson for starters, down to 12 holes until improvements works finished next yr.
    As new to golf I’d discount Esker Hills which is a shame, probably Athlone too as it’s tough enough.
    Given new golfers I’d go Tullamore and Moate, both forgiving enough, I’d skip Mount Temple, bland place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Fully recommend Roscommon GC. 30 mins from Athlone, 18 hole parkland with water features on some holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 wazabru

I was told locally that following the press up group acquisition that Glasson are removing those picturesque 6 holes and replacing them with further developments to accommodate weddings.....they talked about a stand alone barn like structure, possibly a glamping development. A mix of modern accommodation and entertainment venues. Their view was that Glasson would not become an 18hole course again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

wazabru wrote: »
    I was told locally that following the press up group acquisition that Glasson are removing those picturesque 6 holes and replacing them with further developments to accommodate weddings.....they talked about a stand alone barn like structure, possibly a glamping development. A mix of modern accommodation and entertainment venues. Their view was that Glasson would not become an 18hole course again.

I was out there Monday night and find that hard to believe, the 13th is still there and so is the 15th and 18th. It looks like they are redeveloping the 16th and 17th - the 16th green is being rebuilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

I've heard it will go back to 18 holes alright but it will be in a condensed space and it sounds like the practice / driving range area will be no more due to increased wedding / catering / accommodation facilities. Apparently they want to have an island green as their feature hole.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I've heard it will go back to 18 holes alright but it will be in a condensed space and it sounds like the practice / driving range area will be no more due to increased wedding / catering / accommodation facilities. Apparently they want to have an island green as their feature hole.

crikey, the practice area / range isn't long built.

Back to the OP, I'd play Athlone / Moate / Tullamore and if you fancied some tough courses add in New Forest and Esker Hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

New Forest outside Tyrellspass is a nice course.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

Would Portumna be too far? Maybe 40 minutes? I'd avoid Glasson given the restrictions and it's tough and hilly anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Would Portumna be too far? Maybe 40 minutes? I'd avoid Glasson given the restrictions and it's tough and hilly anyway.

Glasson down to 12 holes at the moment too

Booked Moate for one day, one to go. Thanks for all the recommendations so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The open day in athlone is on the wednesday and its a great course. Tough but built on the shores of Lough Ree its very picturesque with views of the lake on all holes (if you're tall enough to see it from the 15th :D)

I would definitely play Athlone if I was in the area on holidays for a week :)

Rikand wrote: »
    The open day in athlone is on the wednesday and its a great course. Tough but built on the shores of Lough Ree its very picturesque with views of the lake on all holes (if you're tall enough to see it from the 15th :D)

I would definitely play Athlone if I was in the area on holidays for a week :)

Athlone showing mostly booked for the day I've left bar a few very early tee times. Will ring and see if they have anything just in case

• Advertisement

Athlone showing mostly booked for the day I've left bar a few very early tee times. Will ring and see if they have anything just in case

Do ring because looking in through the member side of things, there's plenty of space on the sheet

Played Mount Temple on Thursday and Moate on Friday. I'm very new to golf but I thought Mount Temple was fantastic. Arrived early and met Michael, I think that was his name, from the club shop. An absolute gent. Brought carts down to the car to load up our gear. Talked us through the first 9 before heading out. Had a bit of a chat, dished out free tea and coffee after the front 9, gave us the low down on the back 9 and we were on our way again.

Someone mentioned earlier the best par 3, I presume it was the 8th they were talking about? I hit a driver on it and landed about 8ft from the pin :D if I hit it 10 times again I couldn't do it. Only got a par but was delighted with the tee shot. Fantastic looking hole. Anyway, finished on 104 which was by far my best ever score. We were playing off 28, will need to sort out the points when I get a chance.

Really enjoyed Moate too but the weather was tough for the first 12 or so holes. I don't mind a bit of light rain but that heavy rain isn't for me. Once it cleared up I started to play a bit better but over all not a good round. Finished on 119 there. Lovely food in the club house after.

Thanks for all the suggestions, at the very least I'll definitely be returning to Mount Temple in future.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Had my first ever round of golf in M Temple, never played the game before, a lovely 129.
    Haven’t played there in years and playing it tomorrow morning.
    Small world

• Registered Users Posts: 48 faffingaround

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Moate is a lovely course worth visiting not too punishing and some great holes, best par 3 in Ireland I believe (my opinion) great food in a lovely clubhouse afterwards. BTW I'm not a member just an occasional visitor

Which hole is the best par 3 in Ireland as a matter of interest?! The second hole I presume... not in anyways easy either

• Registered Users Posts: 48 faffingaround

Played Mount Temple on Thursday and Moate on Friday. I'm very new to golf but I thought Mount Temple was fantastic. Arrived early and met Michael, I think that was his name, from the club shop. An absolute gent. Brought carts down to the car to load up our gear. Talked us through the first 9 before heading out. Had a bit of a chat, dished out free tea and coffee after the front 9, gave us the low down on the back 9 and we were on our way again.

Someone mentioned earlier the best par 3, I presume it was the 8th they were talking about? I hit a driver on it and landed about 8ft from the pin :D if I hit it 10 times again I couldn't do it. Only got a par but was delighted with the tee shot. Fantastic looking hole. Anyway, finished on 104 which was by far my best ever score. We were playing off 28, will need to sort out the points when I get a chance.

Really enjoyed Moate too but the weather was tough for the first 12 or so holes. I don't mind a bit of light rain but that heavy rain isn't for me. Once it cleared up I started to play a bit better but over all not a good round. Finished on 119 there. Lovely food in the club house after.

Thanks for all the suggestions, at the very least I'll definitely be returning to Mount Temple in future.

Michael is a real character! He put me off playing a lot more regularly in Mount Temple over the years after standing about six feet away from all of us as we tee'd off.
    He told me they were twinned with Pinehurst in the US too this summer. Not sure how that works! Would think there is a real difference in the green fees!

I think it's
    Athlone
    Mount Temple
    Moate

and in that order. Nothing against Moate though. We are very lucky in the midlands for golf!

Which hole is the best par 3 in Ireland as a matter of interest?! The second hole I presume... not in anyways easy either

Ah, I got confused between Moate and Mount Temple. Still thought the 8th in Mount Temple was brilliant.

Enjoyed the second at Moate. Another par 3, the forth, was tough. Valley between tee and green, huge bunker across the whole front, big slope off the left. I tried to go straight at it but went off to the right which was safe for a chip on

Michael is a real character! He put me off playing a lot more regularly in Mount Temple over the years after standing about six feet away from all of us as we tee'd off.
    He told me they were twinned with Pinehurst in the US too this summer. Not sure how that works! Would think there is a real difference in the green fees!

I think it's
    Athlone
    Mount Temple
    Moate

and in that order. Nothing against Moate though. We are very lucky in the midlands for golf!

I tee'd off first and all I heard was "ah, is he the hurler?". I should sort my grip :D

I'd say the 4th is the one being considered the best par 3 in the country. 100 yards of pure torture

Rikand wrote: »
    I'd say the 4th is the one being considered the best par 3 in the country. 100 yards of pure torture

Yep, one of the lads looked to be landing just on the left edge of the green, but it drifted at the end and took a wicked bounce way left. The bunker just looks like an absolute wall of sand, huge and seriously steep. Thankfully none of us landed there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

You'll find Athlone and Mount Temple are too but Glasson is currently reduced to 12 holes (and maybe less at times I hear) as they are doing a major redevelopment over there.[/QUOTE]

I'm currently a member in Glasson but would considering moving due to the redevelopment plans and the uncertainty over what that entails. Athlone or Moate would be my preferred options as they are within 20 minutes of where I live.

I'd appreciate some feedback from members of those clubs on how easy or difficult it is to get a slot on Saturday or Sunday timesheets.

Advertisement