Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why do people still go to gaelic football games?

• 10-09-2020 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭

its not the same game as it was, 99% of games are horrible to watch, 30 men in 1 half of the field, frees going backwards, players running out of options at midfield as the 1 half of the pitch is so crowded. club games are the same now as well. the rules have to be changed, you shouldnt be allowed have your whole team in your own half.

I played the game for over 20 years btw, the only games i would go see are ones involving mayo, dublin or kerry, the rest you couldnt pay me to go watch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

pgj2015 wrote: »
    its not the same game as it was, 99% of games are horrible to watch, 30 men in 1 half of the field, frees going backwards, players running out of options at midfield as the 1 half of the pitch is so crowded. club games are the same now as well. the rules have to be changed, you shouldnt be allowed have your whole team in your own half.

I played the game for over 20 years btw, the only games i would go see are ones involving mayo, dublin or kerry, the rest you couldnt pay me to go watch.
    Different strokes for different folks I'm alot less fond of soccer than I used to be with the money taking away alot of the sole and character, to many mercenaries these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Different strokes for different folks I'm alot less fond of soccer than I used to be with the money taking away alot of the sole and character, to many mercenaries these days.

Then i would suggest getting into the league of Ireland, real football not ruined by money. I prefer a league of ireland game now over most gaa championship matches.

Then i would suggest getting into the league of Ireland, real football not ruined by money. I prefer a league of ireland game now over most gaa championship matches.
    I would enjoy a local game of junior soccer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

A dire viewing experience.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've given up playing the game altogether. It's just not fun any more. Too "professional" at Senior level, and too many atrocious referees ruining games at Junior level.

• Advertisement

another change i would make would be that you can not be tackled by more than 2 players at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I've given up playing the game altogether. It's just not fun any more. Too "professional" at Senior level, and too many atrocious referees ruining games at Junior level.
    What would you do to change/improve refs? Is it the rules of the game or how refs are trained?

it was always too professional at senior level, too many games, no nights out, drinking bans, running you into the ground for the sake of it etc

1 rule which I believe would improve football is no backwards or sideways hand passing except within 45 metres of the opponents goal, team holding possession around midfield and defence running down the clock is a complete eye score, handpassing can be used as a positive like the famous Meath goal against Dublin in 1991.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭tastyt

I remember a couple of years ago there was talk of them changing it to 13 on 13 but they never tried it, I think it would be worth ago at least to see would more space help the game open up a bit.

A shot clock might be an idea too, maybe 60/90 seconds to shoot once you get possession or you lose it. Problem with this is that it’s grand on big championship days, very hard in a junior b game .

I also think there needs to be 2 refs , one in each half. Pitch is too big, players too fit and all sorts going on off the ball for 1 ref to expect to control things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

For the hang sangwiches and hot cupa tay at half time.

another change i would make would be that you can not be tackled by more than 2 players at the same time.

Who gets penalised?... the defenders?
    All an attacker would have to do while being chased is to chase after a defender to make it two against him.
    How would the defenders know when to change over tackling rights mid flow?

tastyt wrote: »
    I remember a couple of years ago there was talk of them changing it to 13 on 13 but they never tried it, I think it would be worth ago at least to see would more space help the game open up a bit.

A shot clock might be an idea too, maybe 60/90 seconds to shoot once you get possession or you lose it. Problem with this is that it’s grand on big championship days, very hard in a junior b game .

I also think there needs to be 2 refs , one in each half. Pitch is too big, players too fit and all sorts going on off the ball for 1 ref to expect to control things
    Don't know if it would be feasible but for 2 refs to work well you might need particular refs to work as a partnership all year and build up an understanding. If you had a scenario where a ref in 1 half of the field is very strict while at the other end a ref is letting alot go it could lead to issues.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

it was always too professional at senior level, too many games, no nights out, drinking bans, running you into the ground for the sake of it etc

I was happy to train and skip nights out for Senior football, but the tactical aspects of my own position (goalkeeper) just keep changing too much. It's almost irrelevant whether or not you can stop a shot now.
    What would you do to change/improve refs? Is it the rules of the game or how refs are trained?

It's just the same old lads reffing every game here. Nobody else is willing to do it. The rules of the game don't really matter to these guys any more. I'd like to think the newer generation will be better, but anyone who's decent gets promoted above Junior games anyway!

I would agree with 13 v 13 but not the other 2 ideas.

what baffles me is most people act like the game hasn't changed beyond all recognition, its horrible to watch, its not worth paying good money to see.

Who gets penalised?... the defenders?
    All an attacker would have to do while being chased is to chase after a defender to make it two against him.
    How would the defenders know when to change over tackling rights mid flow?

im saying two against 1 is ok but no more than that. if there are 3 defenders clearly tackling the forward then its a free to the forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

At the moment you have ref, two linesmen and 4 umpires and they still can't control things.. Umpires need to have the power or balls to make calls for refereee

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

1 rule which I believe would improve football is no backwards or sideways hand passing except within 45 metres of the opponents goal, team holding possession around midfield and defence running down the clock is a complete eye score, handpassing can be used as a positive like the famous Meath goal against Dublin in 1991.
    I dont think that is the problem though maybe trial it in some competition

2 refs isnt a good thing when there is so many issues with rules and you already have 2 linesmen and 4 umpires to manage a game with the ref. Give the other officials more power and train them better before adding an extra official on top of things.
    It's just the same old lads reffing every game here. Nobody else is willing to do it. The rules of the game don't really matter to these guys any more. I'd like to think the newer generation will be better, but anyone who's decent gets promoted above Junior games anyway!
    What training do refs receive? Improve the training and development systems for refs.
    Its the same refs at all levels over and over no matter what sport.

afro man wrote: »
    At the moment you have ref, two linesmen and 4 umpires and they still can't control things.. Umpires need to have the power or balls to make calls for refereee
    As a commentator said in a game I watched last weekend, are alot of umpires there just to watch the match?

I dont think that is the problem though maybe trial it in some competition

2 refs isnt a good thing when there is so many issues with rules and you already have 2 linesmen and 4 umpires to manage a game with the ref. Give the other officials more power and train them better before adding an extra official on top of things.

What training do refs receive? Improve the training and development systems for refs.
    Its the same refs at all levels over and over no matter what sport.
    On your 1st point regards handpassing, I think pedestrian handpassing is a big issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The Galway hurling team that lined out in the 2017 AI had an average height of 6"1 and average weight of 90kg if I remember correctly.

The only way to negotiate those stats is to reduce the player numbers and open up space.

I believe the Dublin footballers have similar stats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I was happy to train and skip nights out for Senior football, but the tactical aspects of my own position (goalkeeper) just keep changing too much. It's almost irrelevant whether or not you can stop a shot now.

Played in goal in football myself for a good few years during the 1990s and 2000s. It's definitely changed a lot since then. Not sure I'd fancy it now, since my big "just give it a hoof anywhere at all" kick-outs wouldn't be acceptable any more!

I was always much more of a hurling man though, and that remains the case. Don't watch very much football any more at all, outside of what my own club is involved in.

Would still rather watch it than soccer (at any level) though. And I used to be big into soccer when I was younger, so this is not an old-fashioned "GAA man just hates soccer" thing. But by God, it's boring, when you're used to hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Looking at the old games it was real catch and kick stuff, no real tactics, hoof it in the general direction of your player and hope he wins it. More entertaining and unpredictable but it was only a matter of time before some tactics came into it. The main thing now is that no team wants to waste possession or take risks, which makes sense but obviously reduces the spectacle unless you are fascinated by the tactical end of things.

I don't think any rule change will force a team to throw caution to the wind and revert to a reckless (but exciting) way to play

Looking at the old games it was real catch and kick stuff, no real tactics, hoof it in the general direction of your player and hope he wins it. More entertaining and unpredictable but it was only a matter of time before some tactics came into it. The main thing now is that no team wants to waste possession or take risks, which makes sense but obviously reduces the spectacle unless you are fascinated by the tactical end of things.

I don't think any rule change will force a team to throw caution to the wind and revert to a reckless (but exciting) way to play

There would still be a lot more chances created if you couldnt have your whole team in your own half.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Is the pitch too big?

Are the balls too heavy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I don’t know what everyone goes on about tbh. Watched some of the older games on on tv and it’s brutal. Kick and hope stuff everywhere. No tactics no game plan other than kick it towards the biggest player for the kick out and hope for the best etc

I’m playing football 20 years now and still love it. That being said I wouldn’t be a great watcher of games much rather be playing.

heroics wrote: »
    I don’t know what everyone goes on about tbh. Watched some of the older games on on tv and it’s brutal. Kick and hope stuff everywhere. No tactics no game plan other than kick it towards the biggest player for the kick out and hope for the best etc

I’m playing football 20 years now and still love it. That being said I wouldn’t be a great watcher of games much rather be playing.

The game has got very slow, no space on the overcrowded pitch. players walking around, and terrified to loose possession when in control of the ball, very little kicking of the ball. I think it has become very cynical and dirty as well, then you hear about the sledging etc

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

People complain about hoofing the ball aimlessly into the forwards being not nice to watch. Is handapssing the ball out of defence attractive to watch? At least a hoof refers to a foot kick. Gaelic football resembles basketball more than any other sport I know. The ball just gets handpasses up and down the field until such time as someone is close enough to kick for a score or the opposition wins it back and repeat.
    The hanspass is the rot of Gaelic football and to a lesser extent hurling. Its too easy, allows players to run all day long and is desperate to watch and does liitle to engage you. The term 'slick handpassing' makes me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Gael85

There would still be a lot more chances created if you couldnt have your whole team in your own half.

This is the root of the problem-blanket defences. People complaining about teams closing games playing keep ball. Why doesn't opposition press instead? Nothing worse seeing a team losing with 15 bodies behind the ball and making no effort to get ball back. The blanket defence was executed perfectly by Tyrone and brought to the next level by Donegal. What is overlooked is both teams teams had brilliant inside forwards. Now you see bluffers at county and club level copying and pasting same game plan when don't have the quality of player to carry out the task.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'd sooner see 13 v 13 than all sorts of situational and positional rules that would turn it into rugby, a bit more space for players to run into might open it up more for foot passing

as for the "handpass" that players get away with now in hurling, its turning into rugby with sticks, you might as well ban the forward handpass and be done with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement