Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a D4 in Waterford

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Surely Castlewoods, not the city obviously but close enough.

New Money Trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Surely Castlewoods, not the city obviously but close enough.

Horrendous in my opinion. Like something you'd expect to see in New Jersey or somewhere. Poor location also.

The houses are on steroids and way too in your face, it's like they had loads of space and didn't know what to do with it.

'So number 28 has big 3m high windows do they, I guess we'll just have to put in 5m high windows! That'll show them.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

hardybuck wrote: »
    Horrendous in my opinion. Like something you'd expect to see in New Jersey or somewhere. Poor location also.

The houses are on steroids and way too in your face, it's like they had loads of space and didn't know what to do with it.

'So number 28 has big 3m high windows do they, I guess we'll just have to put in 5m high windows! That'll show them.'

CastleWoods and Kings Channel are both the same ,big soulless houses with no character just big for the sake of being big.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Snorlaxx wrote:
    Jesus lads, yea leave the interweb for a day and look what happens

Leave it for a week, we ll surely have broken the Internets by then

• Registered Users Posts: 13,756 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The Waterford Quakers were something else though weren't they? Not enough history about them.

Quakers are non religious really but have a great sense of work ethic and looking out for each other. That's impressive.

Sorry to mention Dublin on a Waterford thread, but my granny worked for Jacobs in Bishop Street making the Jacobs cream crackers. Seriously. She always said the Quakers were great employers. Very kind to the workers. I won't say what years I'm talking about but a good time ago.

You know Jacobs and cream crackers originated in Waterford?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ships biscuits, cooked oatmeal and the blaa are Waterford's culinary gifts to the world

Ships biscuits, cooked oatmeal and the blaa are Waterford's culinary gifts to the world

Don't forget about Henry Denny and the bacon rasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭JohnC.

And Sudocrem. Technically not food, but tell that to a baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

You've disgraced yourself - a quiche is a tart not a pie.

Would a rose, by any other name, still have a pleasant-but-bland flavour of eggs and pastry?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

JPA wrote: »

Well I do now! Just looked up Waterford Quakers yesterday on foot of this thread, and found that out. But they had a factory in Bishop Street that is now an office block.

Mad fact, I had to go there once on business, and on the open floor of the offices were the Dumb Waiters preserved from the time of the Jacobs factory. Thought of granny putting the packets in there to be taken away by the trucks, vans horse and carts whatever.

I love social history like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Great thread you Waterfordonians. Or whatever your moniker is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

The Waterford Quakers were something else though weren't they? Not enough history about them.

Quakers are non religious really but have a great sense of work ethic and looking out for each other. That's impressive.

Sorry to mention Dublin on a Waterford thread, but my granny worked for Jacobs in Bishop Street making the Jacobs cream crackers. Seriously. She always said the Quakers were great employers. Very kind to the workers. I won't say what years I'm talking about but a good time ago.

Absolutely, incredible for a group that its height only represented about 1 percent of the population yet had a huge influence. They had breweries, shipyards, mills, etc. They were an industrious people yet always took care of their workers. I believe Porlaw was a planned town created by the Quaker Malcomsons in the 19tth century.

Rosamund Jacob was an early Quaker Suffragette and Irish nationalist from Waterford. There was also Mary Strangman who was the first woman to be elected to the council.

I've been to their meetings a couple of times and can say they are the most welcoming and conscientious group of people I have come across. They also don't believe in oaths because they people you should hold a high standard of truthfulness in every action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

JPA wrote: »

Cream crackers originated in Wexford ;)
    JohnC. wrote: »
    And Sudocrem. Technically not food, but tell that to a baby.

Sudocrem was invented by a Dublin pharmacist in 1931 and is still made in Baldoyle Dublin,nothing to do with Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭bullpost

Absolutely, incredible for a group that its height only represented about 1 percent of the population yet had a huge influence. They had breweries, shipyards, mills, etc. They were an industrious people yet always took care of their workers. I believe Porlaw was a planned town created by the Quaker Malcomsons in the 19tth century.

Rosamund Jacob was an early Quaker Suffragette and Irish nationalist from Waterford. There was also Mary Strangman who was the first woman to be elected to the council.

I've been to their meetings a couple of times and can say they are the most welcoming and conscientious group of people I have come across. They also don't believe in oaths because they people you should hold a high standard of truthfulness in every action.

They feature heavily at the time of the famine. Revived the fishing industry and helped feed a lot of people - The following is a good read for anyone who wants to learn more:
    https://www.amazon.com/Famine-Waterford-1845-1850-Teacht-Bpratai/dp/0906602602

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Portlaw still looks and feels like its back in the 19th century (and not in a good way) :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Flow Motion

New Money Trash.

:pac::pac: Where's the castle BTW? I took a peek in there once on the way out to Tramore and I could not believe the looks I got FFS! Felt like a criminal. But a smooth one:cool:. I was gonna roll down the window and exclaim in a posh D4 affected accent "Cool yer boots, I am not here to rob you guys". Notions in extremis :rolleyes: WLRfm should do a podcast "The Housewives of Deise Shore".

Funny topic. They say that there is not an upper class in Ireland per se but some folk just love to self promote their successful lives. Look @ me, aspire to me, be me :pac: Its a load of BS. It amazes me when I see some fella driving around the town in a Jag or Beemer and only drives to & from work and out to the golf club @ the weekend. Probably only does 5,000 miles a year. All for show.

:pac::pac: Where's the castle BTW? I took a peek in there once on the way out to Tramore and I could not believe the looks I got FFS! Felt like a criminal. But a smooth one:cool:. I was gonna roll down the window and exclaim in a posh D4 affected accent "Cool yer boots, I am not here to rob you guys". Notions in extremis :rolleyes: WLRfm should do a podcast "The Housewives of Deise Shore".

Funny topic. They say that there is not an upper class in Ireland per se but some folk just love to self promote their successful lives. Look @ me, aspire to me, be me :pac: Its a load of BS. It amazes me when I see some fella driving around the town in a Jag or Beemer and only drives to & from work and out to the golf club @ the weekend. Probably only does 5,000 miles a year. All for show.

While I'd agree that many people are overly concious about their image and displaying the trappings of wealth, I'm curious as to why you would begrudge someone for having something that they can afford?

Would you have the same attitude towards people who fritter away money on thinks like booze and gambling that they can't afford?

While I'd agree that many people are overly concious about their image and displaying the trappings of wealth, I'm curious as to why you would begrudge someone for having something that they can afford?

Would you have the same attitude towards people who fritter away money on thinks like booze and gambling that they can't afford?

I don't begrudge anyone anything friend. Its just seems like an absurd fantasy to behave like a gentrified Lord of the Manor in a small town such as Waterford. Its usually the folk who, forgive the terminology, come from nothing who flaunt their new found wealth with abandon. I'd almost expect them to go the whole hog a wear a crown:pac:. I am certainly not envious on the lifestyle. Money is the root of all evil so they say. Personality and a kind outlook is everything in life. I put no trust in the philosophy of one-upmanship. Many childhood friends drifted down that path. They feel I have "missed out". One or two distanced themselves from me for not conforming! Whilst they played golf I travelled the world. I would not change a thing. Those experiences far outweigh staid material possessions.

I don't begrudge anyone anything friend. Its just seems like an absurd fantasy to behave like a gentrified Lord of the Manor in a small town such as Waterford. Its usually the folk who, forgive the terminology, come from nothing who flaunt their new found wealth with abandon. I'd almost expect them to go the whole hog a wear a crown:pac:. I am certainly not envious on the lifestyle. Money is the root of all evil so they say. Personality and a kind outlook is everything in life. I put no trust in the philosophy of one-upmanship. Many childhood friends drifted down that path. They feel I have "missed out". One or two distanced themselves from me for not conforming! Whilst they played golf I travelled the world. I would not change a thing. Those experiences far outweigh staid material possessions.

If someone wants to flaunt their wealth that's very much their own business. It's their money to spend however they wish.

I pull into the golf club carpark with a car valued at circa 0.5% of my annual income so I definitely wouldn't be someone who is throwing it around.

However I'm sometimes bemused to see the person who can't really afford the car they're driving in.

If someone wants to flaunt their wealth that's very much their own business. It's their money to spend however they wish.

I pull into the golf club carpark with a car valued at circa 0.5% of my annual income so I definitely wouldn't be someone who is throwing it around.

However I'm sometimes bemused to see the person who can't really afford the car they're driving in.

are we confusing 'wealth with debt'!

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    are we confusing 'wealth with debt'!

I'm not, no.

I'm not, no.

oh i think we are, and in a big way, and the data more or less confirms this

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭azimuth17

A lot of the "comment " on this thread has turned into almost toxic begrudgery and juvenile "class" envy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

azimuth17 wrote: »
    A lot of the "comment " on this thread has turned into almost toxic begrudgery and juvenile "class" envy.

Indeed!
    Can we go back to abusing us snobs that live in W4 please.

Like for instance, do any of us even know where the hypermarket is?
    Fcukd if I do!

kuang1 wrote: »
    Indeed!

Like for instance, do any us even know where the hypermarket is?
    Fcukd if I do!

whats a hypermarket?

kuang1 wrote: »
    Indeed!

Like for instance, do any us even know where the hypermarket is?
    Fcukd if I do!

I'm aware of its location but haven't been brave enough to go in there.

I've never recovered from the loss of Superquinn either.

i think its a mythical world, im not sure it even exists

Its a supermarket ffs. SQ was only a dream! A cretin like you must be pining for an M+S to pop up in Waterford. No different to any other "foodstore" IMO. I was actually popped in there recently and was surprised by the large range of products. The Hyper as its colloquially known was opened by Gay Byrne in a fanfare in the early 70's so I am told.

Its a supermarket ffs. SQ was only a dream! A cretin like you must be pining for an M+S to pop up in Waterford. No different to any other "foodstore" IMO. I was actually popped in there recently and was surprised by the large range of products. The Hyper as its colloquially known was opened by Gay Byrne in a fanfare in the early 70's so I am told.

Fortunately Ardkeen upped their game and they are a credit to the city.

M&S is tack. I'd much prefer a Donnybrook Fair, Fallon & Byrne or Avoca store - far superior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Snorlaxx

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    whats a hypermarket?

It's more hyper than your average market

Advertisement