Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Extension idea - a possibility or not

• 07-09-2020 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi, Just sketching out some ideas. In the sketch at this link A is the status quo and B is one of the ideas we liked best after a bit of thinking over different options (measurements are very rough/approximate).

We have a few questions:

1. If we keep the min 25m squared of back garden and stay below the 40 m squared of new space, would we require planning for this design. I'm guessing the main concern would be permission to build the full length of the boundary, but if the neighbour was cool with that are there any other planning concerns here to think about. I just want to be clear it's even possible before I approach them.
    2. What price roughly would we be looking at - would we get out for 50-60k ish here.
    3. Is it madness to even think this way for a semi-detached - should we sell up and find somewhere bigger. Been here 20 years and it's a great location for us and not much we like nearby.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Inkers92 wrote: »
    Hi, Just sketching out some ideas. In the sketch at this link A is the status quo and B is one of the ideas we liked best after a bit of thinking over different options (measurements are very rough/approximate).

We have a few questions:

1. If we keep the min 25m squared of back garden and stay below the 40 m squared of new space, would we require planning for this design. I'm guessing the main concern would be permission to build the full length of the boundary, but if the neighbour was cool with that are there any other planning concerns here to think about. I just want to be clear it's even possible before I approach them.
    2. What price roughly would we be looking at - would we get out for 50-60k ish here.
    3. Is it madness to even think this way for a semi-detached - should we sell up and find somewhere bigger. Been here 20 years and it's a great location for us and not much we like nearby.

Thanks. :)

Has all the hall ,arks of a granny flat/self contained unit.
    What’s the use of the room at the end?
    How will the garden get sun, if that’s what you like?

Other than some design considerations, from a planning point of view ;

1. No planning required for this design. Even running it the full length of the boundary/garden.
    2. It looks to be about 38 Sq. M so I would budget 60k subject to detailed design and finishes.
    3. Extensions are there to improve existing houses. The exemptions are there for all to enjoy too. You could move, but will the area be what you want? If you like it there and can see yourself there for the foreseeable then nothing wrong with your plans to extend and stay put.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Inkers92

Couple of reasons we like this route:

1. Provides a downstairs loo and proper utility which we have always wanted (currently a small space under the stairs).
    2. Two teens - one of whom is in box room - would provide another room and free up the box as a "study/workspace".

I'm surprised - so you think that there would be no issue here - just inform the neighbour as a courtesy?
    Yeah the sunlight I was thinking about - That kind of new centre space in the garden would get great light in the morning (but maybe not so great for neighbour although there wouldn't be a huge difference as would only be 1-1.5m higher than what's currently there) - sun comes from the opposite side. All good until early afternoon when the sun is at the front of the house (usually good at the back of the garden in summer). The corner of the garden around the A and the B in the image is where we sit on a sunny evening etc as that's the best light usually good from 5-9 pm in summer which is ideal time really. I don't know if the height of the loo/utility part would impact that far across. I guess we would need to check that. Ideally would like at least some sun in there in the evening time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Inkers92 wrote: »
    Couple of reasons we like this route:

1. Provides a downstairs loo and proper utility which we have always wanted (currently a small space under the stairs).
    2. Two teens - one of whom is in box room - would provide another room and free up the box as a "study/workspace".

I'm surprised - so you think that there would be no issue here - just inform the neighbour as a courtesy?
    Yeah the sunlight I was thinking about - That kind of new centre space in the garden would get great light in the morning (but maybe not so great for neighbour although there wouldn't be a huge difference as would only be 1-1.5m higher than what's currently there) - sun comes from the opposite side. All good until early afternoon when the sun is at the front of the house (usually good at the back of the garden in summer). The corner of the garden around the A and the B in the image is where we sit on a sunny evening etc as that's the best light usually good from 5-9 pm in summer which is ideal time really. I don't know if the height of the loo/utility part would impact that far across. I guess we would need to check that. Ideally would like at least some sun in there in the evening time.

I know someone who did this and still have a courtyard garden .
    It was for disabled access and an accessible bathroom and bedroom .
    Lovey job , had an architect do up the plans .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Just be sure of your measurements. Has the kitchen already been extended, or was it always like that? It's easy to think you are a couple of SQM under and end up being a couple over.

Option "A" is similar to mine, except I have a raised pond in the sunny area.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Inkers92

No extension previously - kitchen was always L shaped, but you are right. I underestimated. I made a metre stick and went out and actually measured. The garden is longer than I thought - It means if we want to connect the two we would have to really narrow the connecting part and we would only get a room roughly 4x3 which doesn't really do it for us. I think we would be looking at 55-60 sq m :-( We could do it as 40 but it would be a bit half arsed we feel so thinking now we will just go the whole hog and go for planning. A friend of a friend is a planner so thinking this is the process:

1. Talk to planner about potential hurdles objections etc
    2. Inform neighbour - owner no longer lives there house is rented - to suss out the likelihood of problems later
    3. If all is good, proceed to drawings and submit application

Question: Would you speak to the neighbour first (or at all) or just go ahead and get drawings done and proceed with the application.
    My concern is that realistically how much will planning and additional sq m add to the project. I'm afraid that the overall cost is growing significantly before we can even turn a sod. Getting nervous that cost will outweigh benefit.

• Advertisement

I really like your idea, OP. I think it's how I'd do an extension, too, as I like the courtyard thing (which I sort of have in my house, but it's not connected up properly, to the house).

What I'm curious of, is, do you really need to apply for planning if you're going to go marginally over the size requirements? I presume the council will make you apply for retention if anyone complains, but at the end of the day, I would imagine that the Council insist on planning so people aren't completely taking the piss altogether.

Like the family that built a house and said nothing (although they seem to have gotten away with it), would the OP really get any hassle for the extension he is planning?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi,I am proposing to Build a Granny Flat, it will be under 40 Sq Metres.It will be attached to the House.We built a Large extension with PP granted in 1978/79. Does this mean we have to apply for Planning Permission for this new project? Or are we exempt on being under the 40 Sq Metres?Also are measurements taken from outside perimeter,or is it internal floor size.
    Many Thanks in advance
    taffey wrote: »
    Hi,I am proposing to Build a Granny Flat, it will be under 40 Sq Metres.It will be attached to the House.We built a Large extension with PP granted in 1978/79. Does this mean we have to apply for Planning Permission for this new project? Or are we exempt on being under the 40 Sq Metres?Also are measurements taken from outside perimeter,or is it internal floor size.
    Many Thanks in advance

Yes planning permission required.
    You cannot avail of the exemption to the full amount following previous extensions.

Advertisement