Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

House Hunting & Essential Travel

• 10-09-2020 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Looking for advice, we are moving to Ireland from UK. We have accepted offer on our house and need to step up house hunting in Ireland. The big obstacle is the 14 day quarantine travelling from UK to Ireland. But could trying to find a home be classed as essential travel? We would make sure we were tested prior to flying to Ireland but just don't want to cause any issues.

All advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Wally

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,014 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It does not matter whether you class your travel as essential or inessential; the requirements are the same.

As a person arriving in Ireland from a country not on the green list, the requirements are:

- On or before arrival, complete the CV19 passenger location form (which says where you will be spending the next 14 days). The only exemption is for air crew, ship crew, hauliers and accredited diplomats.

- Restrict your movement for 14 days, which means

(a) Do not use public transport if possible but, if you must, wear a mask.

(b) Do not visit others, or receive visitors.

(c) Do not meet face-to-face anyone who is at elevated risk from CV19 (e.g. elderly persons, the immunocompromised, etc)

(d) Do not go into shops unless absolutely necessary. If you have to, wear a mask.

(e) You may go outside for exercise, but keep at least 2m away from others

(f) Generally, avoid contact with other people and avoid social situations as much as possible.

So, basically, a quiet life at home alone or in rented accommodation. It's not really compatible with going out to meet estate agents, view properties, etc. But if you've done all this for a fortnight and have no symptoms, you no longer need to restrict your movements.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I doubt house viewings are essential travel, particularly from England to Ireland.
    There is also a possibility Dublin will be locked down, preventing travel between it and other counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Nermal

Dividing all human activity into the twin spheres of essential and non-essential is a favourite pastime among fruitcakes here.

The government have avoided defining what's 'essential' in law, because quite simply, it's too difficult.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/covid-19-experts-call-for-travel-advice-to-be-made-into-law-1.4350595

They've instead adopted the rather devious strategy of deliberately blurring the line between law and advice.

Don't fall for it. If you consider it essential, it's essential.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As already mentioned by Peregrinus, whether travel is essential is not the point regarding quarantine. Whatever the purpose of travel quarantine is required unless you are based in Northern Ireland (which I suspect from your username is not the case) or a country on the "green list"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,014 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Worth pointing out that in the list of measures that I gave earlier, the only one that is legally mandatory, and has penalties attached, is the completion of the passenger location form. The others are all advisory.

But, although there may not be fines or imprisonment, that doesn't mean that you can ignore them without penalty. You are exposed to strong social disapprobation, and other people will feel - and will tell you - that you are being disrepectful or dishonest if you interact with them in ways that breach the advice; if they know the situation they may simply decline to meet or deal with you. The consequences can be quite severe; just ask Dara Colleary or Phil Hogan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Looking for advice, we are moving to Ireland from UK. We have accepted offer on our house and need to step up house hunting in Ireland. The big obstacle is the 14 day quarantine travelling from UK to Ireland. But could trying to find a home be classed as essential travel? We would make sure we were tested prior to flying to Ireland but just don't want to cause any issues.

All advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Wally

It is expected that there will be a new policy announced next week (Perhaps on Monday). This new policy may allow the possibility of a negative test to avoid the advisory 14 day restriction on movements - this is part of the EU recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 londonCabby17

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Worth pointing out that in the list of measures that I gave earlier, the only one that is legally mandatory, and has penalties attached, is the completion of the passenger location form. The others are all advisory.

But, although there may not be fines or imprisonment, that doesn't mean that you can ignore them without penalty. You are exposed to strong social disapprobation, and other people will feel - and will tell you - that you are being disrepectful or dishonest if you interact with them in ways that breach the advice; if they know the situation they may simply decline to meet or deal with you. The consequences can be quite severe; just ask Dara Colleary or Phil Hogan.

Exactly what I thought. I just wanted to ask. Although we are moving to a town where we have a lot of family I do not want to get off on the wrong foot. Imagine if by some terrible quirk of fate there was a case in the town. Who are people going to blame? I just want this move to go as smoothly as possible and if it means 14 days watching NETFLIX then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

Looking for a house would be an essential activity in my book, but the guidelines are a bit of a fudge and its a judgement call yourself for the reasons outlined above.

Considering Ireland is now above the UK in the cases per 100,000 the whole idea of locking foreigners up for 14 days in ridiculous. Maybe for your own protection you should isolate from us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I would hold off until next Monday or Tuesday as that is when the big announcement from the government is coming. Leo Varadkar has said we will be opening up to Europe on travel.

I would fully expect that GB travel will be allowed. Most are ignoring it anyway, and if you wanted to you could travel via NI as many do as well to avoid the form filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 londonCabby17

bikeman1 wrote: »
    I would hold off until next Monday or Tuesday as that is when the big announcement from the government is coming. Leo Varadkar has said we will be opening up to Europe on travel.

I would fully expect that GB travel will be allowed. Most are ignoring it anyway, and if you wanted to you could travel via NI as many do as well to avoid the form filling.

The only thing is the worrying rise in cases here? But I have everything crossed

• Advertisement
Advertisement