Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lucid Air

• 02-09-2020 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭

Surely this car deserves its own dedicated thread? Finally a company that really can match up and even beat the best that Tesla has to offer

Just to give people an idea, here it is doing a quarter mile vs the fastest Tesla saloon and it clocks a 9.9s

This is insanely fast, only one production car has done it faster ever (by 0.1s) and that was a €2 million hyper car 2 seater from Porsche. The fastest ever Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini, etc are a bit slower like that all just in the 3 figures, as is the Tesla. Now this record will be broken the day the Tesla Roadster is released but still

The Lucid also has a real life range of over 800km. And it won't be cheap :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The proposed pricing seems to be all over the place. The normal model seems to overlap with the top end of Model 3 pricing, I guess a bit like the Polestar 2.

I guess all will be revealed in a week or so.

Has any American car in the modern age been well-finished and put together to European standards? Aside from Tesla I only have experience of a six cylinder Mustangs convertible which was plasticky but adequate and an Oldsmobile Intrigue rental, which is possibly amongst the most depressingly awful vehicles ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Ben Sullins had a close up look and shares some info we haven't seen yet, as in prices, schedule, etc. Well worth a watch. Base model USD80k before incentives, which is cheaper than I expected, but not out until 2022. The most expensive models coming first half of next year.

They have successfully reverse engineered Tesla's worst selling car, and somehow made it uglier and more expensive,

It will struggle in the US with no proprietary fast charging network, struggle in Europe with that C pillar and unpopular form factor, and struggle everywhere else with that price.

The electrical engineering is impressive, but not a defensible advantage.

Drag strip performance will not save them. That strategy is almost a decade out of date.

Lumen wrote: »
    They have successfully reverse engineered Tesla's worst selling car

You must have missed who the Lucid CEO is and what he used to do in Tesla? :p

To me it looks like he did what he did before, but now better. I agree with your other comments though, but if you want a halo EV, this might be it, rather than Tesla. Don't underestimate the demand for that.

unkel wrote: »
    You must have missed who the Lucid CEO is and what he used to do in Tesla? :p
    No, I got that, but it seems like they've created a better S (or at least different S), and the S doesn't currently sell well. It sold well when it had the entire premium EV market to itself, but that time is gone.

Where is the evidence for current global demand for $80-150k US-built electric saloon cars?

• Advertisement

Oh no, I take your point alright. The pricing of the cars (the halo models) is such that they should have a huge margin on them though, even with small production figures the company should be profitable quickly enough. The only way to start a new car manufacturing business is to start high end, high margin. That's what Tesla did too. And Tesla wanted to be a mass main stream manufacturer from day 1. Not sure what the long term strategy is for Lucid. Stay high end niche or go the Tesla way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Exactly, Tesla will keep the S and X forever but it was all about the X and Y, that's where their money is and they are fine as it inevitably eats into S/X volume

Unfortunately it really is a sedan only with what looks like a fairly small boot opening. So that rules me out as a (future) owner :(

This promo link has more details:

Excellent technology which I expect will trickle down to mass market.

We are at near the 1930s stage of Car Manufacturer where many Manufacturers were trying out different approaches to see if they gain traction in the market.

Must watch for any EV enthusiast. Mainly Rawlinson speaking

And what impressed me most? The CEO of a company launching the EV with the biggest battery pack (113kWh) and range (830km) talking passionately about a mainstream budget EV of the future needing no more than a 30kWh battery pack. How right he is.

• Advertisement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lpRdq2h7Vs

One hour long interview with the designers of the Lucid Air, one of whom also developed the Model S ten years ago.
    Seems impressive but I have little interest in this size of car.
    the drag coefficient, motor design and running gear cooling sounds interesting. The percentages which the low drag and motor efficiency add to range are interesting.

Advertisement