Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friend tested positive

• 10-09-2020 7:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering what is the process atm.

A friend of mine tested positive three days ago and has been told to go home and isolate for 14 days. He hasn't been asked by the HSE who he has been in contact with etc, who's onus is it to do that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭manlad

mikeoc85 wrote: »
    Hi all,

A friend of mine tested positive three days ago and has been told to go home and isolate for 14 days. He hasn't been asked by the HSE who he has been in contact with etc, who's onus is it to do that?

Personal responsibility, only he knows who his close contacts have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭mikeoc85

manlad wrote: »
    Personal responsibility, only he knows who his close contacts have been.

Ok, I'm surprised to hear that. I assumed the HSE would be in touch with people. One friend that spent a lot of time with him in the past week still won't isolate, we're all furious with him...he plays gaelic football and they have an importnt championship match this weekend so he doesn't want to miss that. His excuse is he's not showing any symptoms. What are the guidelines around that?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Ok, I'm surprised to hear that. I assumed the HSE would be in touch with people. One friend that spent a lot of time with him in the past week still won't isolate, we're all furious with him...he plays gaelic football and they have an importnt championship match this weekend so he doesn't want to miss that. His excuse is he's not showing any symptoms. What are the guidelines around that?

The guidelines are he should contact hse and tell them he is a close contact with a positive case and get tested himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭headtheball14

The first call where he was told he was positive was the start of the contact tracing process. This should be followed shortly by a separate call which will go through his contacts and determine who is a close contact. Then those close contacts will be followed up by contact tracing, they won’t identify him in these calls. Did he have the contact tracing app installed?

Kimbot wrote: »
    The guidelines are he should contact hse and tell them he is a close contact with a positive case and get tested himself.

Yea that's what we were telling him but he's refusing to as he has a game coming up and is showing no symptoms. He's been training and coming into contact with 30 other lads every other day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Yea that's what we were telling him but he's refusing to as he has a game coming up and is showing no symptoms. He's been training and coming into contact with 30 other lads every other day.

Report him to his club.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

He is a fool
    He is also very selfish and should be reported too his club about risking 30 plus others plus there family's

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭rom

I would tell him you can either isolate or I will report you to the club. It is up to you the way you want this to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭harr

I would definitely give him option of doing the proper procedure and self isolate or I would report to his club . Plenty of people have no symptoms and are testing positive. The likes of his attitude could potentially infect not only his team but the team is up against at the weekend. We definitely won’t be mr popular if he is reason half the team become infected.
    In reality anyone he has been in close contact with now also needs to self isolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lucalux

I would try asking him once more about isolating, and if he brushes you off? I'd go straight to the club manager.

There is no excuse for b*llsh1t like that, for the sake of football. Championship or no.

People are trying to do things safely, and GAA is important for communities alright, but a club where team members are knowingly and willfully endangering every single team mate and their families? Outrageous, and the club manager should be switched on enough to realise they cannot allow it to slide.

I'm actually mad thinking about that tbh, my brothers are playing championship football at the moment, (hope their game this weekend isn't against your buddy's team!) and my parents are both somewhat at risk. If they brought Covid home from some eejit (putting it very mildly) it would be very hard to forgive a person so irresponsible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

mikeoc85 wrote:

A friend of mine tested positive 4 weeks ago (terrifyingly she still has no idea where she got it from, and she would be very careful). She had a HSE contact tracer call her the day she found out to gather details of close contacts. Very worrying to hear the contact tracing system may be breaking down with the increase in cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Hi all,

Really? I thought this was standard?
    The HSE should take the lead here within 24 hours. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Contact the HSE and club, state there is a person training there that has tested positive, don't even have to name.... Leave it to them then...

He can get a nice fine for been so thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Really? I thought this was standard?
    The HSE should take the lead here within 24 hours. Strange.

He has no symptoms, HSE aren't really concerned with people with no symptoms, close contacts are only people you've been with in the 48hrs before symptoms appeared.
    He may have tested positive through contact tracing if he has and has no symptoms his contacts won't be traced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭HBC08

Contact the HSE and club, state there is a person training there that has tested positive, don't even have to name.... Leave it to them then...

As i read it he (the GAA player) hasnt tested positive,a close contact has

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

https://www.gaa.ie/news-archive/news/guidance-for-clubs-dealing-with-positive-or-suspected-covid-19-cases/
    Fergal McGill, GAA Director of Player, Club, and Games Administration, explains the approach to be adopted by clubs.

"It is quite simple, if someone in a club gets the symptoms of Covid they should contact their GP," McGill says.

"If their GP thinks they need to then they will arrange testing. Public health then take over. If it is a negative test the player can return to activity, if it is a positive test and the player has Covid, public health will then take over.

"Public health will do an assessment on the player's movements in the previous days and will make a decision as to who should be considered a close contact or a casual contact in a GAA context."

Close Contact
    Will be Tested
    Will undergo active follow up from Public Health
    Should be contacted every day
    Telephone GP immediately if unwell
    Don’t leave home unless necessary
    Avoid Travel (within or outside of Ireland)
    GAA INVOLVEMENT – None until medical assessment and clearance to return

Casual Contact
    Passive Follow Up for 14 days
    Will be advised about their risk
    Should ring GP immediately if any symptoms
    develop
    GAA INVOLVEMENT – As normal as long as symptom free

HBC08 wrote: »
    As i read it he (the GAA player) hasnt tested positive,a close contact has

Thread title and 1st post states different

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

DONT do that please. The whole team will be checked. The team have a big game coming up which will be either cancelled or worse, forefit.... You'll ruin the game for all the players (in both clubs)

If you contact the club, make sure they know specifically who it is you're referring to. Don't say someone tested positive because nobody has yet. One player who you know to be a close contact of a positive case is not isolating

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Nothing in the first post states that the gaa player tested positive. The gaa player was a close contact of the positive case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lucalux

DONT do that please. The whole team will be checked. The team have a big game coming up which will be either cancelled or worse, forefit.... You'll ruin the game for all the players (in both clubs)

If you contact the club, make sure they know specifically who it is you're referring to

Wow. GAA cultism still alive and well in some quarters :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭HBC08

Have a look at the 2nd post from the op.

If you contact the club, make sure they know specifically who it is you're referring to. Don't say someone tested positive because nobody has yet. One player who you know to be a close contact of a positive case is not isolating

Do any of you actually read what you write, he has been playing and knows he tested positive, this in itself is reckless and irresponsible.

Very selfish attitude, no wonder the numbers are rising.

Can the op clarify because there seems to be a lot of confusion here....
    Is he tested positive or is it he was close contact because I'm going by the thread title and 1st post.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Nothing in the first post states that the gaa player tested positive. The gaa player was a close contact of the positive case

There won't be any contact tracing done on his contacts then, 25% of close contacts aren't turning up for testing and 50% aren't turning up for their second test 7 days later.
    It's all anonymous so the GAA won't know, he's morally obliged to tell them but there is no legal basis for it.

Thanks all.

Yes we tried to tell him this and we even told him to just get tested, it takes 24 hours to hear back and then he can return to training if it's negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Do any of you actually read what you write, he has been playing and knows he tested positive, this in itself is reckless and irresponsible.

Very selfish attitude, no wonder the numbers are rising.

Can the op clarify because there seems to be a lot of confusion here....
    Is he tested positive or is it he was close contact because I'm going by the thread title and 1st post.

No confusion,just read the 3rd post in this thread,the op's second post

Just to clarify, our friend the GAA player, hasn't tested positive yet because he hasn't been tested, but has been in close contact for large periods with another friend who has tested positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

lucalux wrote: »
    Wow. GAA cultism still alive and well in some quarters :o

I’m not a GAA player or involved in any club. Can’t even be considered a fan for that matter. I’ve seen the chaos that Covid had done to businesses, clubs and more .... leaving an anonymous message that a player on team A is positive will almost certainly lead to the cancellation of the game. How does that help anyone??

One player who was a close contact of a positive case should not be training. He should be taken aside

If this was someone in an restaurant doing same, would you call the restaurant and say a member of staff is positive? You know what would happen if you do

Common sense and honesty has to prevail or we’ll never learn to live with Covid

And yes, people need to listen and adhere to contact tracing advice and restrictions, or if they don’t, then I agree fully with reporting them

I’m not a GAA player or involved in any club. Can’t even be considered a fan for that matter. I’ve seen the chaos that Covid had done to businesses, clubs and more .... leaving an anonymous message that a player on team A is positive will almost certainly lead to the cancellation of the game. How does that help anyone??

One player who was a close contact of a positive case should not be training. He should be taken aside

If this was someone in an restaurant doing same, would you call the restaurant and say a member of staff is positive? You know what would happen if you do

Common sense and honesty has to prevail or we’ll never learn to live with Covid

And yes, people need to listen and adhere to contact tracing advice and restrictions, or if they don’t, then I agree fully with reporting them

Yes I would, the person infected needs to think of others, I'm doing everything I possibly can to stay safe and more so for my dad as he is in his 70s and if I passed this on it would kill him...

People need to be responsible for their actions.

Also sorry about the confusion to everyone I read it that the friend was the gaa player.
    Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Get a new friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭headtheball14

Some of the issue may be if this player knowing he is a close contact just doesn’t engage, answer his phone to contact tracing etc then there is no way to schedule testing for him.
    I imagine that is what is happening since he seems determined to ignore the risk he presents . It is very selfish attitude, you can’t legislate or regulate for this. The only effective action is through the informal and peer networks such as his friends and club members. I think his club members would be furious if they knew and as recommended I would tell him that the manager would be informed .

Advertisement