Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marking Cards

• 08-09-2020 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

I am turning into a real curmudgeon. Over the last few weeks when I have been recording other players' scores I have found it increasingly frustrating and annoying that when I putt out I call out my score and the stableford points, when appropriate, and have to ask the other player his score. What is even more frustrating is that often this person has no idea what he scored and I have to wait while he tots up his shots. How can you not be aware what score you're putting for when standing over a four foot putt? These people shouldn't be allowed onto golf courses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭srfc d16

Some people may do this in a sort of "take one shot at a time" way so that they don't panic over a birdie putt.
    It really wouldn't bother me in the slightest though. I mark the card on the next tee box so if it takes my playing partner an extra 10 seconds to figure out what they had I am not going to get het up about it.
    I presume you are being tongue in cheek with the last sentence?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭benji79

What are you calling out the Stableford points for?

If you are going calling out your score then just call the shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

benji79 wrote: »
    What are you calling out the Stableford points for?

If you are going calling out your score then just call the shots.

A full answer, that's why.

srfc d16 wrote: »
    Some people may do this in a sort of "take one shot at a time" way so that they don't panic over a birdie putt.
    It really wouldn't bother me in the slightest though. I mark the card on the next tee box so if it takes my playing partner an extra 10 seconds to figure out what they had I am not going to get het up about it.
    I presume you are being tongue in cheek with the last sentence?

That's a laugh. It's usually for a 6 or 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭benji79

A full answer, that's why.

A full answer? What’s that mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I just expect the number of strokes, the computer will handle the points, though most of the time I know will what the person had, unless it was a large number.

Whats more annoying is the person who stands over the hole counting their strokes out loud while the rest of you are waiting to play, they then typically shout out "SIX, I had a SIX" during your backstroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

benji79 wrote: »
    A full answer? What’s that mean?

It's where you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Seems we're over the "just glad to be back playing " phase
    Was nice while it lasted

GreeBo wrote: »
    I just expect the number of strokes, the computer will handle the points, though most of the time I know will what the person had, unless it was a large number.

Whats more annoying is the person who stands over the hole counting their strokes out loud while the rest of you are waiting to play, they then typically shout out "SIX, I had a SIX" during your backstroke.
    I think we've been playing with the same people, some of whom are on here explaining this away

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

What is even more frustrating is that often this person has no idea what he scored and I have to wait while he tots up his shots. How can you not be aware what score you're putting for when standing over a four foot putt? These people shouldn't be allowed onto golf courses.

Some people find it hard to count to 10 :D

But in all seriousness.......... get a grip will ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Daniel son

The machine counts the points. Just mark the shots on the card. Why bother worrying about totting up stableford points.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

As someone who has run and marked cards for society outings 20+ years you would be amazed with the amount of folk that can't add or work out stapleford.

You got to remember golfers come from all parts of society and also not everyone has a maths brain or still in the prime of their youth with quick thinking and clear vision

• Registered Users Posts: 21,078 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

slave1 wrote: »
    As someone who has run and marked cards for society outings 20+ years you would be amazed with the amount of folk that can't add or work out stapleford.

You got to remember golfers come from all parts of society and also not everyone has a maths brain or still in the prime of their youth with quick thinking and clear vision

After 20 years... it's worth noting that its stableford! :)

Glad you spotted the deliberate demonstration of my point:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭blue note

I like putting in the points as a cross check to make sure I've the right score in. Or even when getting the score from someone after a hole, if they give me their points as well it's a way of verifying you heard them right.

I certainly don't see an issue with someone giving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭thewobbler

slave1 wrote: »

Sorry, but as someone who has done the same, this is a complete cop out.

This isn’t advanced maths. A seven year old would do more complex calculations every day in school.

They all got better at it on one trip when I refused to take their cards.

Naa, don't think a complete cop out, I don't want to go into it in on a public forum but there are golfers that never made it through secondary school you know and simply have a zero math brain, also society members hitting and past 70 who can just about write their scores on what is to them a tiny piece of paper with their sight and who's memory etc is fading.
    Wait until you hit later age and you don't have all your faculties

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Ive marked the card the last few weeks.. its not to bad and i have told the lads im not going to be adding the points the machine can do it after.

Find people are happy with that and its on them to keep a tally of their points and can check the card if they want..

Advertisement