Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Career change from finance to outdoorsy work in mid 40s

Options
2»

Comments

tdf7187 wrote: »
    .............. Does anyone have any practical suggestions regarding moving to outdoorsy type work? Landscape gardening, bricklaying, etc. I am in my mid 40s so no spring chicken but physically fit.

Landscape gardening you should be able to get a poorly enough paid job with SAP or someone like that just cutting grass...... see where it leads if you are so inclined. Some outdoorsy experience is always a start. If you are in Dublin the GDA has lots of studs etc that you might get into............. again pay likely not great.

Bricklaying is a trade that no one would take up in their mid 40s unless they were loony IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

What about stonemason, tree surgeon etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Hi. I am just throwing around some ideas. After a career break I have no motivation whatever to return to any form of office job. Does anyone have any practical suggestions regarding moving to outdoorsy type work? Landscape gardening, bricklaying, etc. I am in my mid 40s so no spring chicken but physically fit.

You could do it, you dont have to be a superhero fitness wise but it is rough and tough work, id slow your roll with the stone masonry tho!

Have you thought about welding? there are plenty of courses, its not crazy physically demanding and is a really rewarding job theres some high paying jobs to be had aswell if your good. I think it d be a good blend for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

What’s your current role in finance?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

So I’d imagine your looking at a serious drop in potential earnings making the career move you speak of.

My suggestion would be stick at your current role but reduce your hours to a level where your financially comfortable.

Spend the extra time living, do new things, meet new people, spend more time with family and friends. Life is for living not working, working is a mere tool to enable the life we want.

I’m late 40’s and my physical health is shot but I work the hours that suit me and spend time doing stuff I actually like and enjoy that aren’t working.

• Advertisement
Advertisement