Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boardsies Decide : Greatest FIFA World Cup Goal

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Cahill is a title contender. Brilliant technique.

I think Josimar just takes second for me - very similar to the Ronaldinho goal actually; the trajectory and the keepers' reactions in particular.

Love the unexpected angles in the Borgetti goal, but just gets squeezed out for me

• Registered Users Posts: 84,995 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Josimar 1st
    Tim Cahill 2nd
    Jared Borgetti 3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Just over 5 minutes remaining

Tim Cahill 5
    Josimar 5

- - - - -
    Jared Borgetti 2

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Drat! Missed out on a few there.

That Cahill goal is seriously underrated in the pantheon of great World Cup goals. The technique is outrageous. Easily the best goal of 2014 for me.

• Advertisement

Plenty more group stage action to go so no worries if you missed the opening evening. We’ll be back tonight with more belters.

Hopefully get this one going before 8:30pm

Ray Houghton (Ireland vs Italy, 1994)

VS

Hans Krankl (Austria vs West Germany, 1978)

VS

Robbie Keane (Ireland vs Germany, 2002)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'm going with Robbie. Have that commentary and memory baked into me.

I'm going with Robbie. Have that commentary and memory baked into me.

Just a reminder that it's top two progressing. So rank them in order of preference. Who's your runner-up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,680 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Oh this is impossible. Should we vote with the heart or try to be impartial?
    That Krankl goal is a gem but Houghton's is a cracker too, and Robbie's stirs so many emotions...

Controversial - two Ireland goals together!

I like the Keane goal. Football is great when a goal comes out of absolutely nothing. The surprise of a direct goal at its best beats a 20-move pass.

So Keane for me, ahead of Krankl, and Houghton unfortunately isn't at the races. Though like an ugly child, I still love it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Omackeral wrote: »
    Just a reminder that it's top two progressing. So rank them in order of preference. Who's your runner-up?

You can tell I'm a blow-in who didn't read the rules.

I shall pretend to be impartial and have Krankl's excellent strike second, I don't remember 94 so much :pac:

1. Keane
    2. Krankl
    3. Houghton

• Registered Users Posts: 10,680 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

OK, I'm going to vote on the quality of the goal, with a little bias added into the mix

1. Houghton - nips in to steal it from the defensive masters, sees the keeper off his line and calmly lifts it over and in. It's majestic
    2. Krankl - beautiful hit, but he's falling so it has some fortune to it, unlike Houghton
    3. Keane - breaks my heart. I remember that moment, still gives me goosebumps, but the goal itself isn't as good as the other two (not that it needs my vote by the look of it!)

Oh this is impossible. Should we vote with the heart or try to be impartial?
    That Krankl goal is a gem but Houghton's is a cracker too, and Robbie's stirs so many emotions...

I anxiously await your shout!

10 minutes remaining in Group E

Number one would be Krankel: the initial control of the first touch is pretty nifty in its own right, but to get that power and placement on it, all in one movement, without it hitting the ground, while falling at an angle is, all in all, pretty amazing. Something very satisfying about the angles involved.

Number two would be Ray Houghton: he gets a bit lucky, with the keeper being completely out of position, but you make your own luck sometimes. The way he chests the ball into his stride is underrated, great anticipation, and even though it eventually floats into the net he has to angle his body and get power on it to make it happen. It's a more difficult strike then it looks at first glance

Number three is Robbie Keane: it's an iconic goal and in terms of pure drama it has the other two beat, but it's just not as good objectively as the other choices. Long ball, textbook flick on, in fairness Keane does well - he reads what's going on before the defenders and his speed fools the defender into slicing at nothing as he runs through and there is instinctive cleverness in the way he angles the ball above Kahn who has spread himself - well is more like a boulder in mid flight. Bit fluky too all the same, Kahn nearly gets his body in the way. Not a bad goal, certainly dramatic, but we've all seen similar goals down through the years.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Keane
    Houghton
    Krankel

Heart over head here admittedly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

1. Krankl
    2. Houghton
    3. Keane

Krankl 13
    Keane 12

Houghton 11

• Advertisement

That was our closest group yet, the order changed so many times but Reberetta's votes are the one that seal the positions. Stay tuned for Group F...

Close!

That was tighter than it should have been! Always thought Pagliuca should have easily saved Houghton's shot tbh.

Roberto Baggio (Italy vs Czechoslovakia, 1990)

VS

Benjamin Pavard (France vs Argentina, 2018)

VS

Giovanni Van Bronckhorst (Netherlands vs Uruguay, 2010)

Pavard video not working.

Gio's goal is a replica of the one he scored against us in 2000, so it gets downvoted for that

Pavard goal is technically superb (from recollection) and I'll shade it ahead of Baggio

Edit - Omack has fixed the video. All hail! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

1. Baggio
    2. Pavard
    3. van Bronckhorst

cdeb wrote: »
    Pavard video not working.

FIFA have it blocked off boards.ie :pac:

The video I've put up has annoying music on it but hold out for the second angle and judge from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

1 Pavard. technically perfect and good build up. And equaliser
    2. Baggio. makes it look effortless

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Baggio
    Van Bronckhorst
    Pavard

Out of the two longer range efforts I like Van Bronckhorsts a little bit more. Absolute screamer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

1. Pavard, outside of the foot, moving ball, superb
    2. Baggio, weak defence made it look good.
    3. van Bronckhorst, meh.

Advertisement