Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Belarus opposition leader kidnapped.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Her press officer confirmed her abduction but also himself disappeared about 40 minutes later.....
    The rest of her Press team is also missing along with her Coordination Council colleagues that were involved with talks with the Lukashenko the Dictator.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Random Account

What’s up with that part of the world. Leaders over there are mad ***** and there we thought Leo was bad

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

What’s up with that part of the world. Leaders over there are mad ***** and there we thought Leo was bad

Putin is the answer to your question

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Sounds a bit dodgy....

Sounds like one dodgy country

Corruption, poverty and serious inequality I'd say, I'd imagine most don't think Leo is bad, he's grand imho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Those are 3 brave women. Thatleader is a scumbag...only there cos of Putins support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Maria Kolesnikova is currently being held by Belarus security forces at the border between Belarus and Ukraine they are actually trying to expel her out of the country ,some of her staff were forced into Ukraine by security forces ,Maria apparently damaged her passport in an attempt to prevent her force expulsion

https://www.euronews.com/2020/09/07/belarusian-opposition-figure-maria-kolesnikova-missing-after-bystander-reports-abduction

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/maria-kolesnikova-prominent-belarus-opposition-leader-detained-on-ukraine-border-12066651

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Shes a brave woman resisting being removed from Belarus. Sky News showed lots of Belorussian protestors who got lifted off the streets and absolutely battered with iron bars by the police, there was huge bruises all over their bodies. She could have suffered the same fate.

I wonder where the movement goes next. She and the two other women can still influence it online provided Lukashenko doesnt switch off the internet. I think he is flying to Moscow soon to meet Putin and there is the promise of Russian special forces entering the country to put down the protests. Sunday coming will be the 5th weekend in a row with protests of over 100k on the streets but it could be the last if the Russians get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Shes a brave woman resisting being removed from Belarus. Sky News showed lots of Belorussian protestors who got lifted off the streets and absolutely battered with iron bars by the police, there was huge bruises all over their bodies. She could have suffered the same fate.

I wonder where the movement goes next. She and the two other women can still influence it online provided Lukashenko doesnt switch off the internet. I think he is flying to Moscow soon to meet Putin and there is the promise of Russian special forces entering the country to put down the protests. Sunday coming will be the 5th weekend in a row with protests of over 100k on the streets but it could be the last if the Russians get involved.

Two scumbags meeting up together. Sure they will get on like a house on fire. The World would be much better off with these two scumbags out of it

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Two scumbags meeting up together. Sure they will get on like a house on fire. The World would be much better off with these two scumbags out of it

The Russians already stated if the protesters crossed particular line they would be assisting the return to order ,or as we seen in Ukraine the annexation of Crimea and occupations of East Ukraine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Plenty don't think he's great but only idiots would compare him to a despot. And they do, bless their empty brains.

This country is utter paradise compared to many. Even compared to some other democracies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Former Soviet countries tend to be governed by despotic hard men with personality cults.

Usually ex-Communist senior officials.

Democracy is a Western concept that is lacking in many parts of the world.

In time, West may face direct conflict with East.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Plenty don't think he's great but only idiots would compare him to a despot. And they do, bless their empty brains.

This country is utter paradise compared to many. Even compared to some other democracies.

What Country are you talking about Ireland or Belarus? If it's the latter I doubt there is many over there at the moment that would see it that way.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I was there at a football match about 10 years ago. We were watched closely but I did not feel threatened. Minsk is not so bad - there were some half decent bars and eateries there. Living standard is poor. Absolutely zero chance of being harassed by a track suited Junkie or being robbed by some low life street gang. I can't say the same for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Belarus is very different to Crimea or Ukraine. There is no popular Russia support and Putin actually hates Lukashenko. Russia could just be happy if he goes and a popular leader takes over but keeps Russian economics interests in place. Worked in another place and so far so good.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The grass is always greener on the other side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

I'm talking about Ireland. When I see morons going on about wearing masks being a sign of dictatorship... some folk badly need a dictionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'm talking about Ireland. When I see morons going on about wearing masks being a sign of dictatorship... some folk badly need a dictionary.

Well thats just silly. Those folks cannot read.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I was there at a football match about 10 years ago. We were watched closely but I did not feel threatened. Minsk is not so bad - there were some half decent bars and eateries there. Living standard is poor. Absolutely zero chance of being harassed by a track suited Junkie or being robbed by some low life street gang. I can't say the same for Dublin.

I was in there last year for a week, and I work with a team based in Minsk. It is lovely. Nice people. Nice food. Quiet and peaceful. One of the girls I work with over there drives a BMW M3. There’s a KFC with a cool Communist relief sculpture over it. What’s not to like?

A cousin of mine spend some time in the rural south, in the area affected by the Chernobyl disaster. The poverty she described is appalling. The inhuman treatment of the children in the orphanages. They were watched and minded by officials everywhere they went. The corruption and the bribes needed to get through daily life.

Then you talk to the folk from Minsk in private. A very different story emerges.

Minsk is a facade. The acceptable face of a dictatorship who’s only purpose is to line the pockets of the corrupt elite. The safety one experience there is a side effect of a ruthless and corrupt police and security apparatus who’s main purpose is to keep the citizens in strict line.

I’ll take my chances with the junkies over the KGB any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I was in there last year for a week, and I work with a team based in Minsk. It is lovely. Nice people. Nice food. Quiet and peaceful. One of the girls I work with over there drives a BMW M3. There’s a KFC with a cool Communist relief sculpture over it. What’s not to like?

A cousin of mine spend some time in the rural south, in the area affected by the Chernobyl disaster. The poverty she described is appalling. The inhuman treatment of the children in the orphanages. They were watched and minded by officials everywhere they went. The corruption and the bribes needed to get through daily life.

Then you talk to the folk from Minsk in private. A very different story emerges.

Minsk is a facade. The acceptable face of a dictatorship who’s only purpose is to line the pockets of the corrupt elite. The safety one experience there is a side effect of a ruthless and corrupt police and security apparatus who’s main purpose is to keep the citizens in strict line.

I’ll take my chances with the junkies over the KGB any day.

I don't doubt your account. However, there are parts of our country that have become lawless, overrun with filth who drag anything or anybody decent down with them. And it is a growing problem. And it will get to the point were people here will vote for a party that will advocate for a police force with draconian powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Former Soviet countries tend to be governed by despotic hard men with personality cults.

Usually ex-Communist senior officials.

Democracy is a Western concept that is lacking in many parts of the world.

In time, West may face direct conflict with East.

yeah, without a doubt. Like Stalin killed way more people than Hitler and many were his own citizen. Yet Russian kids never read about that in their history books and he is venerated nationwide. There are statues of him everywhere across Russia to this day and he is affectionately known among the populace as 'Uncle Joe'. If you asked a Russian how many Russian citizens Stalin killed you would get a blind expression. Propaganda is a powerful thing.
    Belarus is very different to Crimea or Ukraine. There is no popular Russia support and Putin actually hates Lukashenko. Russia could just be happy if he goes and a popular leader takes over but keeps Russian economics interests in place. Worked in another place and so far so good.

Yeah was thinking that myself. Lukashenko could easily find himself removed from power when on his visit to Moscow to beg Putin for help. Only thing is who would be his successor, it was supposed to be Lukashenkos son who he has been grooming for years but obviously thats now a non goer. Putin could put the Belorussian generals in charge for a year or so until they have fresh 'elections' to anoint the next Russian puppet. Whatever happens they are not getting any proper democracy here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I see your point, there are somewhat similar protests going on in Bulgaria but as EU and NATO members they are good guys and aren't on the 'hit list' so the media gives these protests as little attention as possible.
    Big protests too in Montenegro but as they appear to be joining NATO soon so they are also the 'good guys' and not worth a mention on the 'news'.

I see your point, there are somewhat similar protests going on in Bulgaria

No not even close ,

Russian puppet fixes elections again and the people of Belarus want him gone.opposition leaders being detained and expelled from their own country

I'm sure the factory is peddling some nonsense about Nato as usual oh wait

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Muahahaha wrote: »

I'm always perplexed by the response of police or soldiers in situations like this or the protests in Hong Kong.

Like in anything there are good and bad people in uniform and some that honestly believe in what they do. The police in the riot gear are not all bad but why do the good ones do it. Are they afraid to say "I'm not hitting those students?"

EDIT: I meant protests and police all over the world because obviously yes in some places like Belarus, of course they'd be afraid

Russian troops will be arriving in Belarus later in the month for the military exercise Slavic brotherhood 2020 , which was supposed to have Belarus , Serbian ,and Russian military forces conducting joint military exercises inside Belarus ,
    Serbia publicly withdrew from the exercise Moscow is still sending troops thought ,
    If Lukashenko isn't removed in the next two weeks it's safe to say Belarus will be under russian occupation to maintain law and order

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Interesting name for a country. Bela - Italian for beautiful. Rus - Historical name for the traders that lived along the rivers.
    She is being held for now. They did'nt get her accross the border. Really, she should be released.

Smiles35 wrote: »
    They did'nt get her accross the border. Really, she should be released.

They told her either she went alive to Ukraine or be sent in pieces ,

I get the feeling she's in a very dangerous situation now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭seenitall

Smiles35 wrote: »
    Interesting name for a country. Bela - Italian for beautiful. Rus - Historical name for the traders that lived along the rivers.
    She is being held for now. They did'nt get her accross the border. Really, she should be released.

You’re joking, yes? :)

Belo, bela, bielo, biela and many variations thereof mean “white” in Slavic languages.

Belarus = White Russia

seenitall wrote: »

Belo, bela, bielo, biela and many variations thereof mean “white” in Slavic languages.

Belarus = White Russia

Does it not depend on how and who translates it , languages wouldn't be my best subject

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

seenitall wrote: »

Belarus = White Russia

No, I wasnt. Genuinly. It makes a little more sence it being more local than Italian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Sounds like one dodgy country

Corruption, poverty and serious inequality I'd say, I'd imagine most don't think Leo is bad, he's grand imho

What are you talking about? Leo is grand?? first of all, hes not taoiseach anymore and hopefully will never be again.

Secondly, you do understand we live in a democracy in Western Europe I hope?? Its not comparable at all how our leaders would act here over an ex soviet union country.

Seriously, some people will find any opportunity to lick that snakes ass. Sad

Advertisement