Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miroku

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paulireland

Oh and go to post office and pay for cert

Any thoughts/info on gun insurance
    Who does it and any recommendations
    Thanks as ever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Any thoughts/info on gun insurance
    Who does it and any recommendations
    Thanks as ever

Just put in on house contents insurance. All risks will cover outside the house.

What about the liability insurance you need to have if using ranges etc

The ranges will include insurance as a condition of membership. They will take it from either The NARGC or CAI. If you already have it you won’t have to pay twice.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I would ALWAYS advise you to have your own insurance Paul. It is very cheap and you renew it once a year. €40 a year is nothing for piece of mind. My club recommend all members to have their own cover.

https://countrysportsireland.org/individualMembership.php

Sound advice

Cheers ZiabR
    Just joined so another box ticked:)

Cheers ZiabR
    Just joined so another box ticked:)

Good stuff, you will get your membership card and other paperwork in the post in the coming days. I carry my card with my licence at all times.

• Advertisement

RFD just contacted me.Expecting my gun delivery tomorrow :)

A couple of questions regards gear(remember I am a complete novice)
    What to pay for a standard gun slip-nothing fancy
    Type of box to transport ammo in the car
    Bog standard ear muffs-are cheapos OK
    Same for eye protection
    Type of vest/gilet for clays
    Thanks as always for any informed info as you guys have done it all before:)

Standard shotgun slip will set you back anywhere from 35 to 50 euro.
    You can transport your cartridges in any container that is separate to your gun and that can be locked with a padlock.
    I would recommend you ALWAYS wear glasses, if you dont have shooting glasses then sunglasses will do for the moment. Shooting glasses can be 20 euro to 1000 euro.
    Dont buy super cheap ear defenders like the disposable ones. You could get a good enough set for 25-50 euro. No need to go mad either.
    Get a standard Skeet vest. It will cover you for shooting Sporting, OT and Skeet. Skeet vests are usually 65-100 euro.

Sportsden in Navan has a fantastic online shop, you could have all this bought today and it would be with you by Friday. Failing that, you can look at the shop in your gun club presuming they have a shop (not sure what club you are linked to)

And remember to keep a trigger lock on your gun at ALL times during transport to and from the range.

Cheers for that
    Local CPC is a range only so no shop.I like the idea of that as its no so commercial as some of the ranges I looked at.
    Plus its only about 10mins from me:)
    Son in law used to shoot so he has some fancy electronic defenders and nice glasses buried in storage as they are about to move house.
    I will get some reasonable ones in the meantime.

If i could offer you some other advise Paul. If you are completely new to the sport and have not really shot before, then I recommend you shoot 24 gram 7.5 cartridges. The 24 gram have significantly less recoil which allows you to practice, pull away, swing through and maintained lead better. Once you have a handle and are shooting regularly, you can increase to 28 gram if you wish but if you are only shooting Sporting Clays then there is little to no difference from 24 to 28 gram cartridges.

Also, I would also recommend you bring an oily rag in a ziplock bag with you, you can leave it in the car if you wish but for the days that you might be shooting in light rain, I would advise you wipe the gun down with the oily rag before transporting it home to be cleaned properly. It could be a few hours before you get to clean the gun and you dont want water sitting on the gun for long. Even taking it out of the slip when you get home and breaking it down is better than leaving it in the slip for hours. A happy gun is a clean/dry gun.

Yes I was thinking of 24g 7.5-dont want to end up flat on my back:)
    As a matter of interest is it better to buy a cleaning kit or get the bits separately.
    I see some kits dont have a jag-just brushes and a mop

In all my years i have never used a jag. I just use the brushes with bore cleaner and then and push kitchen roll through the barrels a number of times using the cleaning rods minus the brush head. Your call, but a jag is not necessary.

What type of bore cleaner do you use

There are so many types available Paul.

Hoppes No.9
    Phillips
    Bisley

etc

You can get them in liquid or aerosol form. I tend to go with the liquid but whatever you can get your hands on. Its not expensive.

I see basic kits with 3 piece rod and brushes and mop for €10
    You cant go wrong:)

• Advertisement

Thats all you need Paul. Will do the job nicely.

Just checking on postage

Darn postage is €12-a little too high:(

Darn postage is €12-a little too high:(

All the dealers will have the three piece kits for less than €20

Great-the Miroku wouldn't like a Berreta shoved through it anyway

€12 for cleaning kit from RFD.Also got slip,jacket,safe,ear defenders and Brunox gun cleaner and ammo box.All good prices.A one stop shop.
    Plus he threw in a lock for the ammo box,a brass jag(sorry ziabr:)) and some cleaning cloth

I take it you have the gun now aswell or are you still waiting for the licence to arrive in the post? Either way, best of luck with it.

I have the license and RFD is awaiting delivery of the gun-should be today:)

• Advertisement

Anyone any experience of safeguard devices 2 gun safes

Advertisement