Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRISH FERRIES - Covid Credit FRUSTRATIONS

• 29-07-2020 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

I hope this is in the right section I was trying to find Travel.Has anyone else here had trouble with Irish Ferries covid credit?
    I had to cancel a booking with Irish Ferries. I sent an email and got a generic email back saying they would take 13 days to respond. This would have been after the original ferry that I was cancelling had travelled . It says that you must cancel before the date of departure so I had to drive to the Irish Ferries office to cancel on time (200miles!). The woman there was extremrly grumpy but did cancel the ticket. But she would not give me any written receipt or acknowledgement that the money had been "refunded" as a credit. I asked if she could show me the credit anywhere on my Irish Ferries sign in or booking but she could not. So no proof of my credit.
    Eventually I got an email from Irish Ferries saying that the credit is attached to the original booking reference and that if I email in my new plans they will sort it out . I have done this and just recieved generic responses back but no acknowledgement of my new bookings.
    I have tried ringing Irish Ferries but all that happens is a long wait on an expensive phone number and then it cuts out. So I have inadvertently given Irish Ferries even more money through being kept on hold.
    The emails say that because of Covid there response times are long...but Stena is in a similar position and they can answer their emails ...and their phones (which cost less per call too)
    I am getting really frustrated now. They seem to be completely unaccountable.
    I have read the recent Irish Ferries reviews on Trust Pilot (Google Trust Pilot - Irish Ferries) and it looks like a lot of people are experiencing similar difficulties.
    If they cant provide the service they say they will surely they should just return the money so we can book with a company that is more transparent and can provide the service?
    Are Irish Ferries completely unaccountable or is their something that can be done about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Sorry can't help you with your credit. There is a web page called "Say no to 1890" where you can put in the 1890 No and in most cases it gives you the geographic land line number. A lot of businesses have a number on their site for people ringing from abroad, just drop the international and country code and dial the number direct. If you can find any number for them, it doesn't matter whether it's
    customer services or personnel or finance, get them to give you a number or put you through to the department you want. Hope this is of some use.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭daesal

Sorry can't help you with your credit. There is a web page called "Say no to 1890" where you can put in the 1890 No and in most cases it gives you the geographic land line number. A lot of businesses have a number on their site for people ringing from abroad, just drop the international and country code and dial the number direct. If you can find any number for them, it doesn't matter whether it's
    customer services or personnel or finance, get them to give you a number or put you through to the department you want. Hope this is of some use.

Thanks. That is really useful. Now if they would answer their phones too that would be handy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

1890 (and 1850, 0818 and 076) numbers have been standard rate and included in all call bundles since last year anyway.

L1011 wrote: »
    1890 (and 1850, 0818 and 076) numbers have been standard rate and included in all call bundles since last year anyway.

Just to save anyone else a fortune, not all 0818 calls are. I know for sure Irish Ferries are expensive because I've just paid my phone bill!

Only included in Bundles that INCLUDE LANDLINE calls.
    "From 1 December 2019, calls to 1850, 1890, 0818 and 076 Non-Geographic Numbers (NGNs) will cost no more than calling a landline number and will be included in your bundle of call minutes if your bundle includes landline calls.

You should note that all calls to these NGNs (including 1850) will be deducted from bundles on a per minute basis or, in the absence of a bundle, charged on a per minute basis. Calls to 1800 numbers from both landlines and mobiles remain free. This means that organisations that currently provide NGN services will be easier to access. [Source : Comreg]

No, calls to 0818 numbers are not free. 0818 numbers can cost you from 5c to 50c per minute depending on whether you're calling from a landline or a mobile. Click here to see what the cost of calling 0818 numbers from most phone (landline and mobile) companies in Ireland.
    [Source:Say no to...]

My calls to Irish Ferries were definitely not free,and definatly not included in any bundle. Best to check first. I hope this saves someone else my headachs.

Check out Irish Ferries recent reviews on Trust Pilot .com

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What mobile bundle doesn't include landline calls? If you don't have any call bundle at all its going to cost you the same as any landline call, which is what the non-0818 number is going to be anyway so there is zero difference.

I'd suggest your phone network buggered up, nothing else. There are no different classes of 0818.

• Advertisement

What mobile bundle doesn't include landline calls? If you don't have any call bundle at all its going to cost you the same as any landline call, which is what the non-0818 number is going to be anyway so there is zero difference.

I'd suggest your phone network buggered up, nothing else. There are no different classes of 0818.
    I would suggest that its unlikely my network and lots of other people's networks all buggered up. Compare Stena to Irish Ferries . Ring them both then check your phone bill. Just a warning.
    The phone is not really the issue.
    Its more the way they make the "credit" so difficult to use.
    They wont quote a clear price .
    They take 2 weeks plus to reply to emails.
    They have replied twice now about crossings that have already departed .
    Its a real shambles.
    Its not just my money. There have been a lot of people taken for a ride by this.
    If anyone needs to know more sesrch and read reviews at :Trust Pilot - Irish Ferries
    Or look at the amount of people on twitter who have been mislead too.
    Personally I had to go to UK to see a sick friend and Irish Ferries kept replying too late when I enquired about using my credit.
    Eventually I couldn't hold on any longer and had to make a completely new booking with Stena.
    But its too late . He's in hospice now and can have visitors outside his family.
    I explained to Irish Ferried that I really needed to make booking to see a sick friend and they didn't care at all. I have the screenshots of the conversation.
    Its a disgrace.
    And it seems no one can do anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Did you not put this on another irish website (now removed) as a warning to people and told everyone to checkout trustpilot.

daesal wrote: »
    I would suggest that its unlikely my network and lots of other people's networks all buggered up. Compare Stena to Irish Ferries . Ring them both then check your phone bill. Just a warning.

No, I'd still suggest its your network - you have nothing to suggest anything about other people being charged.

In fact, I'm absolutely certain its something relating to your network and/or your account with that network. There is absolutely zero ability for one 0818 number to be billed differently from another 0818 number. If you were actually charged differently, and were not out of bundle minutes at the time, you need to raise an objection with your operator and not imagine different reasons / read outdated information on a site that now does not need to exist to explain it.

If someone in your network tells you that one 0818 number can cost more than another - demand to speak to someone more competent. Because its impossible.

No, I'd still suggest its your network - you have nothing to suggest anything about other people being charged.

In fact, I'm absolutely certain its something relating to your network and/or your account with that network. There is absolutely zero ability for one 0818 number to be billed differently from another 0818 number. If you were actually charged differently, and were not out of bundle minutes at the time, you need to raise an objection with your operator and not imagine different reasons / read outdated information on a site that now does not need to exist to explain it.

If someone in your network tells you that one 0818 number can cost more than another - demand to speak to someone more competent. Because its impossible.

Here is a direct quote from another review (Trip Advisor) . And there are a lot more out there. I'm not too sure where your animosity is coming from I am just trying to help people not get stuck like the rest of us.....

TRIP ADVISOR REVIEW:
    "
    I tried to reach them again and again in the mean time, received a phone bill and was wondering why is it so much and then it turned out that IRISH FERRIES CHARGE €1,20 PER MINUTE PHONE CALL..
    I never managed to reach them again, waiting for over 30 or 40 minutes on the phone. I finally managed to reach them through a messanger and cancelled my booking"

That review is from July 2020 so its definatly not out of date. Here is the rest of it (with date):

"By the way, waiting for them to come back to me on my message took another day... and only got half of my deposit.."

Horrible! Never again...

Read less

Date of experience: July 2020

• Advertisement

0818 never cost 1.20 a minute

People make up stuff when angry.

Ask your network for your money back

0818 never cost 1.20 a minute

People make up stuff when angry.

Ask your network for your money back

We will just have to agree to disagree here.
    That was just one of MANY reviews.
    All I would recommend to anyone ringing Irish Ferries is to check the cost of the call. It definatly is not cheap for some.

But really. There are alternatives to calling
    When it comes to refunds or "credit" it is very difficult to use .So just be very very careful.

As I say its not just me . Try searching Irish Ferries on Trust Pilot and Trip Advisor.

You're right about making sure info is up to date so it is best to read the recent reviews. I

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭yiddo59

FWIW "The Say no to 1890" website lists 016075700 as an alternative

Irish Ferries
    0818300400 Call Instead – 016075700

It appears you need to talk to your network. The cost of the calls as you describe is not what you say.

Comreg mandate costs, and they say different.

https://www.comreg.ie/ngnreview/consumer/

I saw ads on adverts and donedeal complaining just like you are here. They are both gone now. Was it you there as well?

It appears you need to talk to your network. The cost of the calls as you describe is not what you say.

Comreg mandate costs, and they say different.

I saw ads on adverts and donedeal complaining just like you are here. They are both gone now. Was it you there as well?

Open letter to Irish Ferries:

"Please refund me my money.

I have 430.20 in "credit" from a journey I had to cancel due to covid.

I tried numerous times to book,to visit a terminally ill friend and you couldnt do it or quote me a price.

Your phone was never answered despite me paying to be on hold.

Your constant delays in emails and your refusal to quote me  a price on twitter ment that I had to use alternative transport.

It was too late,my friend was transferred to a hospice and your constant delays ment I got there too late to see him.

I offered that If you refunded me my money I could then book online and make it easier for everyone but you refused to even take this easy option.

I am very dissapointed in the recent service from Irish Ferries. I have been loyal to the company for years and always recommended them to everyone. "

Open letter to Irish Ferries:

"Please refund me my money.

I have 430.20 in "credit" from a journey I had to cancel due to covid.

I tried numerous times to book,to visit a terminally ill friend and you couldnt do it or quote me a price.

Your phone was never answered despite me paying to be on hold.

Your constant delays in emails and your refusal to quote me a price on twitter ment that I had to use alternative transport.

It was too late,my friend was transferred to a hospice and your constant delays ment I got there too late to see him.

I offered that If you refunded me my money I could then book online and make it easier for everyone but you refused to even take this easy option.

I am very dissapointed in the recent service from Irish Ferries. I have been loyal to the company for years and always recommended them to everyone. "

Am genuinely sorry to hear about your friend, but what has that got to do with the post you quoted about ads on two seperate websites berating Irish Ferries. You went very quiet when it as pointed out twice about these and also the apparently false information you quoted about call charges.

Am genuinely sorry to hear about your friend, but what has that got to do with the post you quoted about ads on two seperate websites berating Irish Ferries. You went very quiet when it as pointed out twice about these and also the apparently false information you quoted about call charges.
    Absoloute Rubbish
    I am just back from a fairly harrowing visit to england. Im very sorry if i didnt reply to you while i was over there but I had other things on my mind. Please accept my apologies. As for "false" information.that is absolutely not true. I have emails, records, video and twitter accounts to back everything up. Perhaps you work for Irish Ferries and are trying to discredit me. Everything can be backed up.
    Please don't make false accusations that you have no knowledge of. I am trying to get my money back and also save other people from the same thing happening to them.
    Once again sorry for not replying sooner.

Absoloute Rubbish
    I am just back from a fairly harrowing visit to england. Im very sorry if i didnt reply to you while i was over there but I had other things on my mind. Please accept my apologies. As for "false" information.that is absolutely not true. I have emails, records, video and twitter accounts to back everything up. Perhaps you work for Irish Ferries and are trying to discredit me. Everything can be backed up.
    Please don't make false accusations that you have no knowledge of. I am trying to get my money back and also save other people from the same thing happening to them.

In relation to call charges....different networks are different. Why would i make it up??? Im trying to save people an expense. Have a look at my phone bill if you want.

Absoloute Rubbish
    No apology required.

and I dont work for Irish Ferries.
    Placing ads on irish websites was silly
    You should consider requesting a review of charges from www.comreg.ie
    Sorry to hear about your friend

No apology required.

and I dont work for Irish Ferries.
    Placing ads on irish websites was silly
    You should consider requesting a review of charges from www.comreg.ie
    Sorry to hear about your friend

My aim is to stop other people loseing their money. The ads cost me money but it was worth it.The ads worked well. I got a lot of thanks for it. I also heard of a lot of similar stories.

Once again my apologies for not answering your previous questions sooner while I was in the middle of other things. I will prioritise properly in future.

In the meantine feel free to read Trust Pilot and Trip Advisor recent reviews on Irish Ferries

• Advertisement
Advertisement