Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cadetships 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 josh1010st

Borderland wrote: »
    I heard 50 too. I’m assuming it’ll be the usual 6 Maltese, maybe 7 or 8 navy, and then maybe 8/10 air Corp?

Maybe if you put in 60 army, you might get 25 from the other branches.

More the merrier as far as I’m concerned!

I was told 50 also by a Cpl at the fitness test but hopefully it’s the larger number and as you said the more the merrier. Best of luck to the lads getting their results on Monday! Hopefully they let us know about offers then too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dylant99

Ah yes sorry, I was talking about the army only so with all the navy/air corps could be around the 80 ish mark

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Dskell67

Does anyone know how much recruits get paid weekly

Just got an email this morning saying that I passed the medical didn’t say a start date just said keep monitoring your email in the future, delighted check your emails!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 galla92

Dskell67 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much recruits get paid weekly
    Have you applied for both enlistment and a cadetship?

• Advertisement

General pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 31 JohnBoy140

This isn’t really relevant for now but does anyone know how much of a choice you get in the corp you’re assigned to after commissioning?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Borderland

JohnBoy140 wrote: »
    This isn’t really relevant for now but does anyone know how much of a choice you get in the corp you’re assigned to after commissioning?

Yea so the way it works is that when you’re coming up to being commissioned you indicate a preference as to what Corp you want serve in. The amount of people going to each Corp depends on the amount vacancies but generally speaking there are a couple of positions for everyone in each of the areas. Unless you’ve applied for corp specific cadetship, like the ordnance Corps cadetship, then you’re going straight there. Once you graduate from the cadetship you get your letter from the GOC or whoever is giving out the letters and that’s the formal assignment to your unit, you won’t know for sure until that point. Usually the top 10/20 get their first preference no problem. Cav is very prestigious so only the top of the class get that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

You'll get to submit preferences but your eventual allocation will be determined by the requirements of the DF, availability of places in your chosen corps and location, and your class placing.

Yea so the way it works is that when you’re coming up to being commissioned you indicate a preference as to what Corp you want serve in. The amount of people going to each Corp depends on the amount vacancies but generally speaking there are a couple of positions for everyone in each of the areas. Unless you’ve applied for corp specific cadetship, like the ordnance Corps cadetship, then you’re going straight there. Once you graduate from the cadetship you get your letter from the GOC or whoever is giving out the letters and that’s the formal assignment to your unit, you won’t know for sure until that point. Usually the top 10/20 get their first preference no problem. Cav is very prestigious so only the top of the class get that
    Aside from cavalry being the most prestigious is there any order from most popular to least popular or are they all more or less equal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Aside from cavalry being the most prestigious is there any order from most popular to least popular or are they all more or less equal?

It will depend more on what people want to do with their careers. While the experience of a young officer is broadly similar regardless of their corps, they'll get some different exposures to specialities. You're more likely to be training inductees as an infantry officer than a transport officer, for example (Though that doesn't mean you won't be doing it either). You might have an idea of what you want going in and that might change over the course of sixteen months too. You'll get corps briefs in terms of what to expect from all of them towards the end of the course too, before you submit your preferences. The Cav thing hasn't always been the case, so corps are a bit like fashions, they come and go. Key is to figure out what works for you, and there's an awful lot of road to march before you make that decision.

I forgot to mention this last week but I did give them a call and I got through to 2 brigade recruitment, and he told me that all panels are full for the rest of the year and that anyone that done there medical in recent weeks will be on next year, I hope that’s not the case but will just mean more time to prepare. I hope it’s before Christmas ideally but for anyone that done the medical recently you can take it that you passed. At least there’s a bit more clarity which is the main thing

Dskell67 wrote: »
    I forgot to mention this last week but I did give them a call and I got through to 2 brigade recruitment, and he told me that all panels are full for the rest of the year and that anyone that done there medical in recent weeks will be on next year, I hope that’s not the case but will just mean more time to prepare. I hope it’s before Christmas ideally but for anyone that done the medical recently you can take it that you passed. At least there’s a bit more clarity which is the main thing

This is all for General Enlistment. We’re applying for the cadetship. The panel doesn’t roll over between competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 DannyMac23

Best of luck to all of ye getting results tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dylant99

Just got my offer there, starts on the 5th of October. Fingers crossed he get your offers guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 josh1010st

dylant99 wrote: »
    Just got my offer there, starts on the 5th of October. Fingers crossed he get your offers guys!

Congratulations man! I just got an offer there too! I’ll see you on the 5th!

Congrats lads, got the good news there meself, see ye in the Curragh in October!

Huge congrats lads! Still waiting but hopefully hear today

Huge congrats lads! Still waiting but hopefully hear today

I'm in the same boat, well done lads huge congratulations. Do you reckon rejection emails have gone out already?

Are all the offers given out at once or are the done in rounds?

• Advertisement

galla92 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat, well done lads huge congratulations. Do you reckon rejection emails have gone out already?

There probably won’t be rejection emails for a couple days/ weeks. They’ll want to see what the numbers are like and if people drop out during first week or two of training then they’ll need to be replaced.

Are all the offers given out at once or are the done in rounds?

Going by last year, I think they were given out in batches. Also I think the rejection emails went out first. Things could be different this year tho.

galla92 wrote: »
    Going by last year, I think they were given out in batches. Also I think the rejection emails went out first. Things could be different this year tho.

I reckon just stick the phones on airplane mode and enjoy the rest of the day lads. What happens will happen!

I reckon just stick the phones on airplane mode and enjoy the rest of the day lads. What happens will happen!

I’d say they are doing it per person, as the two lads that posted before me got word 20 mins before me, and I only heard an hour ago, so wouldn't sweat it lads I’m sure ye will hear later on in the day!

Congrats to all, I know this is mostly cadets but if there’s any lads for general service drop me a message. Don’t really know what’s going on for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bobbyb123

Weird, just got offers too and the engineering cadetship starts on the 14th October

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cadetirldub

Congratulations to everyone who got it and better lick next year to everyone else.
    Just wondering for those who were successful, what type of job or degree did you's have previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cadetirldub

And did you get into the army, navy or Air corps?

And did you get into the army, navy or Air corps?

I have a BA in English and History and a MA in Military History and Strategic Studies, and I’ve worked in a variety of places the last 5 years part time. I got the Army Line Cadetship.

• Advertisement

Anyone hear anything today?

Advertisement