Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Adult Braces Experience

1293031323335»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Hi I am looking into getting adult braces. Preferably Invisalign braces.
    Iv heard that it can be cheaper up in Northern Ireland.

Has anyone any experience getting work done up there. or someone to recommend.

Thanks

you'll be up and down quite a bit, so while the headline figure might be cheaper, you're paying for that in fuel/time etc

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Greven

Hello,

I'm already wearing braces that have been done abroad, but due to recent difficulties in international travel I'd like to move my treatment to a Dublin orthodontist.

Can anyone recommend a good orthodontist in Dublin city centre? Feel free to PM me if you know one.

Thanks a bunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Hi, I've very large gaps in my upper teeth. Between my two front teeth there's about a 4mm gap and 1mm gaps between the others. I'm wondering would fixing this be considered major dental work or straightforward?
    Did anyone ever answer your question of did you find out another way.
    Think I might be similar teeth as yourself so would be good to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I’ve just started Invisalign Go today, very excited!. I only have 9 trays so I hope I’m finished quickly. I had conventional braces (extractions etc) about 8 years ago but about a year or two ago my toddler stood on my retainer and broke it, and two front teeth shifted in a mad direction, despite also having fixed retainers. Wear your retainers folks!!!

May I ask how much this is costing you? I'm in a similar boat. Retainer broke and I didn't replace it.

If you want PM me the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Hi Guys,

I only discovered this thread today :eek:

I'll add my story in the hope it might help others.

28 year old here.

For years I have wanted to get my teeth done but always avoided it due to denial and fear of the slagging I might get for wearing braces as an adult. I also assumed the cost would be astronomical so I simply lived with my crooked teeth.

My two front teeth are extremely crooked/twisted with an extreme overjet. My bottom teeth are extremely crowded and also very crooked overall. Over time because of the position of my teeth they began to chip quite badly making them look even worse. In recent years I have become very self-conscious, embarrassed, and would hide my smile as best I could.

After a lot of research, and dozens of consultations with orthodontists all over Dublin I started my treatment with ceramic braces last Friday. The ceramic braces are very discreet (no one at work has noticed them yet). My first preference was Invisalign but my teeth require a lot of pressure for movement so Invisalign wasn't an option for me.

I face a long road ahead as the expected treatment time for me is about 2 years and possible teeth removal as my teeth are very crowded but for now, I'm happy that the first stage has begun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

Hi All,

I am about 4 months into my treatment but was in yesterday and the dentist for the first time said I would need to have 4 teeth removed.

Before I started my treatment I had one wisdom tooth removed and some filling to prepare my teeth for the braces,

Actually just shocked now 4 months in and the Dentist said about removing 4 perfect healthy teeth, If they mentioned this at the start I wouldn't have gone ahead with this.

Anyone else has experience with this? Now I do have crowding and I have one tooth I thought would be removed during the process but 4. Thinking of cancelling the treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

DaraDali wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am about 4 months into my treatment but was in yesterday and the dentist for the first time said I would need to have 4 teeth removed.

Before I started my treatment I had one wisdom tooth removed and some filling to prepare my teeth for the braces,

Actually just shocked now 4 months in and the Dentist said about removing 4 perfect healthy teeth, If they mentioned this at the start I wouldn't have gone ahead with this.

Anyone else has experience with this? Now I do have crowding and I have one tooth I thought would be removed during the process but 4. Thinking of cancelling the treatment

During my consultations the Orthodontists believed I may need to have teeth removed from my bottom arch to facilitate movement as the teeth are simply too close together.

My braces have been fitted but the Ortho has said I still may need to have teeth removed depending on how things go..

Teeth removal is apparently very common when getting braces.

If you look on Youtube it's actually not that bad but you will obviously have gaps until the teeth move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

carzony wrote: »
    During my consultations the Orthodontists believed I may need to have teeth removed from my bottom arch to facilitate movement as the teeth are simply too close together.

My braces have been fitted but the Ortho has said I still may need to have teeth removed depending on how things go..

Teeth removal is apparently very common when getting braces.

If you look on Youtube it's actually not that bad but you will obviously have gaps until the teeth move in.

Thanks for that, actually been freaking out a little at the thoughts of removing 4 of my teeth, but also the added cost of 600 more to my bill and only 4 months into a 2 year project,

They want to remove 2 from both archs, very little crowding on the bottom so going speaking with the treatment coordinator as want to know more about whats left to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Hi All,

Hoping someone can give me a dig out here.

I've an Invisilign on my 2nd week and advised that 4 hours a day max when removing the Inivis. Not ideal.

I can't drink or eat with it in unless it's water. Just wondering has anyone had a drink other than water with them in and what are the affects? I plan to have a few drinks on Saturday but not really ideal with the max of 4 hours.

I thought my consultant had said 6 originally but when getting them in a different person said 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Spideoige

Hoping to go down the route of fixed braces soon. Have been quoted 5250 euro in Cork which seems very high for metal braces, also been told 4 teeth will likely require removal which I can only assume will push the cost up to 6k. Does anyone here have any recommendations for orthodontic treatment in Cork that isn't as costly but is still from a reputable person? All posts on here are from some years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭patob

Have decided to get teeth straightened for new year via Invisalign. Doing bit of research for last few weeks. Upper teeth uneven on one side but lower teeth very bunched. Got quote of €4k from General Dental chain following free consultation, no extraction indicated. I have also contacted local Orthodondist who charges €50 for consultancy that includes full x-ray and 3D scan, so considering this. Any recommendations for Orthodondist in Dublin North/West/central from a positive Invisalign experience would be appreciated, by PM please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Hi all,

Getting braces very soon and have treatment plan through ortho. Just wondering what have people done regarding payment? I have the option of paying interest free per month, which is decent in itself, or paying in full for a 5% discount. Treatment is around 3500 so 160 or so saving. What would people do?

One issue I can see with paying all upfront is if I have any issues with the ortho, I will be in less of a position. What are your opinions?

Post edited by barry181091 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Anyone have experience with Clontarf Orthodontics?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

I am an old fart just finished a year of invisilign treatment. The trays discolour so easily. I changed mine after every 10 days and not the two weeks what my dentist has advised. Made for faster results and knocked a few weeks off the treatment over the course of that year.

I was advised to keep the trays in 22 hours a day! Which I did. I drank coffee and tea etc... which lead to discolouration in the trays.... I didnt personally give 2 hoots ... but the difference when they were replaced after 10 days was very noticable. I have my retainers in for a year (6 months in) and have found a fantastic products which cleans all the staining off the retaining trays (i know they are heavier than the moving trays).... it is polydent retainer cleaner. I use it morning and evening (when having a shower) and it takes about 10 minutes to clean them... Great product (not sure if available in Ireland though)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mariohourn

As an adult with braces, it is not that bad. Your never to old to have braces.

We want not just to look good but also add more confident in our smiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 djjdomahony

Dr Caroline O Dwyer working in Ballincollig is supposed to be amazing at Invisalign - my brother got it done with her and he couldnt say enough good things about her. Think this is the link to her https://odwyerorthodontics.ie/. - she does a lot of the fixed braces too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 relaed

I'm looking into getting invisalign, just at an early research stage. My teeth aren't too bad. Just there's a gap between my middle top two teeth and the adjacent teeth, they stick out more and I've always been self conscious of it. But I'm pretty shocked reading through this thread that nearly everyone is having to get teeth removed. That's enough to put me off.

I am very self conscious so would only be willing to do invisalign, not traditional metal braces.

I'm feeling like reading through the thread the invisalign are less effective?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

There is a limit to what can be achieved with Invisalign, because the plastic trays can apply less force than a metal wire, and are limited in what direction this force can be applied (although they are very capable to be fair).

I've had ceramic braces on top for the last 2.5 years, and it takes people a while to even notice them for the most part since they're clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ZeldaF

I'm told I need to get my bottom teeth straightened, can anyone recommend someone in either Dublin or abroad who does a good job at a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Similar stage myself, would love to hear if it's cheaper up north

• Advertisement

These prices are frightening, really thought most places offered payment plans!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

?

Monthly payments over 2 yrs = payment plan, the post you quoted was from 2018, and would be considered cheap now for treatment with an orthodontist.

Average payment in 2022?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If only there was a way of contacting Orthodontists to enquire about price.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Spideoige

I paid 6k for fixed braces for a short period followed by Invisalign.

Advertisement