Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rust removal

• 10-08-2020 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hello
    I am about to start preservation/restoration of a 50 year old car,an NSU
    the car is fairly solid ,but has twenty or thirty rust patches, none rusted through.

Good paint jobs cost quite a lot, perhaps 3,000 euro. i am reluctant to pay this . What i want to know now is whether to use sandpaper, or chemicals to sort out the rust spots. When de rusted I may just rust proof them prior to a re spray next year.

On Kadmans thread ,he used a chemical, and another was recommended to him.

Several other chemicals are often advertised.
    Can any one suggest a particular route to take

Firstly sandpaper v. chemicals
    what to use to prevent rust when down to clean metal

thanks in advance

Comments

Uff. Off the top of my head you need to visit a YouTube channel:
    He restored a serious rust bucket of an 1980s Volvo.

You need some steel sheet and cut them into various shapes.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

You basically have 3 choices when it comes to rust.

If its rusted through, then the only option is to cut it out and replace with new metal.

If its surface rust or rust with pitted craters . Either chemically remove the rust, or sand it out.

If you use a suitable chemical remover, then you need to use a protector afterwards.

Or you could brush off the loose rust, and apply a rust enscapulator to seal it in for spraying.

My number 1 option is always to remove it, and replace with new metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

rugbyman wrote: »
    Hello
    I am about to start preservation/restoration of a 50 year old car,an NSU
    the car is fairly solid ,but has twenty or thirty rust patches, none rusted through.

Good paint jobs cost quite a lot, perhaps 3,000 euro. i am reluctant to pay this . What i want to know now is whether to use sandpaper, or chemicals to sort out the rust spots. When de rusted I may just rust proof them prior to a re spray next year.

On Kadmans thread ,he used a chemical, and another was recommended to him.

Several other chemicals are often advertised.
    Can any one suggest a particular route to take

Firstly sandpaper v. chemicals
    what to use to prevent rust when down to clean metal

thanks in advance

€3000 for a good paint job would be considered cheap these days. To remove rust comprehensivly on car body panels is near impossible due to the thin sheet metal , 1.0mm,normally used in their construction . Cut it out and replace with good metal or it will come back and ruin any paint job be it a 3k job or 10k job.
    The person doing the repairs also needs to ensure any welded areas are protected properly or those areas will rust again also. .

You cant go from this,

522661.jpg

To this,

522662.jpg

With anything other than sheet metal. Sanding, chemicals or filler wont do it.
    So you need to be realistic in what you are trying to achieve. And any rust bubble on your car is never to far from a whopping hole when you start digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Thanks for all replies
    In the next week or two I shall get the rust removed. Whats the best product to apply to the then shiny bits to preserve it over the winter. it will live indoors
    Regards

• Advertisement

rugbyman wrote: »
    Thanks for all replies
    In the next week or two I shall get the rust removed. Whats the best product to apply to the then shiny bits to preserve it over the winter. it will live indoors
    Regards

Rattle can zinc primer that'll keep it healthy over the winter indoors.

I plan to do this rust removal in near future.
    Can anyone recommend a particular brand of rust remover than i can use

Thanks in advance

I use bilt hammer 80.

my friend just told me of devices ,air driven moving small rods, googled them, watched a video of one in use, but for my job ,perhaps chemicals is best

Needles air power driven tool.

Rapidly picks at the surface rust,

• Advertisement

You probably need to do a google to find out for yourself whether you need a
    rust removal chemical, or a rust convertor chemical. As there is a difference between the 2.

There are also rust enscapulators that cover and trap the existing rust.

So do the due diligence.

Personally I have used Vactan, Fertan and Genolite. Plenty of google info on them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

What about a wire brush on the end of drill, sand area to cut feather in, chemical treatment, very good clean, tack cloth the rust preventive primer, filler, top coat and clear coat.

Advertisement