Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

[Article] Elon Musk met with Volkswagen's CEO while in Germany and test drive

• 04-09-2020 8:57pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-elon-musk-met-volkswagen-chairman-diess-test-drive-id3-2020-9

Tesla CEO Elon Musk met Volkswagen's chief executive, Herbert Diess, for a courtesy visit during which Musk took a test-drive in Volkswagen's new electric car, a source familiar with the matter told Reuters on Friday.

According to local media, whose reports were confirmed by Bloomberg and Reuters, Musk flew to the Braunschweig, Germany, airport near Volkswagen's headquarters in Wolfsburg after departing Berlin. There, he test-drove the company's ID.3 electric car during a two-hour meeting with Diess.

A spokeswoman for Volkswagen declined to comment on the meeting. A spokeswoman for Tesla could not be reached for comment. Musk was also scheduled to meet with Germany's economic minister, Peter Altmaier.

https://twitter.com/VWGroup/status/1301878864520589312

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,679 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'm not surprised. Two fairly open minded captains of industry with a similar goal. Both companies will do well going forward. Many other car giants.....not so much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

unkel wrote: »
    I'm not surprised. Two fairly open minded captains of industry with a similar goal. Both companies will do well going forward. Many other car giants.....not so much.

Would be good to hear Elon's thoughts on the ID.3 if he did drive it.

I wonder did he give them any software advice in exchange for some assembling and painting advice :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Plot twist :D

0?e=1599570000&v=beta&t=QhHLhuTRKf1JNSjWNDbiBEiOSQq8UR8bPGwhKMynJsE

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6708652868141907968

Herbert DiessThanks for the visit, Elon! Hope you like the video. It was great driving the ID.3 with you! You were just quite critical with the available torque at higher speed. I told you: "Yes, we are on the runway - but no need for take off - its not a sports car." For this you should try our Porsche Taycan. Looking forward to our next meeting! [ID.3 Pro Performance, 150 kW / power consumption combined in kWh/100 km: 16.9 - 15.4 (WLTP); 15.4 - 14.5 (NEDC); CO2 emissions combined in g/km: 0]

Was just reading this

Linky

Musk: "It’s pretty good" :)

The VW share shot up this morning, might or might not be related.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Musk is all for reduction of dino juice use, he is in essence forcing the hand via Tesla.
    Still reckon the Germany factory will produce a compact Tesla EV exclusive for Europe.

• Advertisement

Shame they didn't give the i3 more power, I'm still hoping for a test drive on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Shame they didn't give the i3 more power, I'm still hoping for a test drive on Saturday.

They have talked about some fancy high end model I believe?
    VW has a really big portfolio of cars compared to Tesla, so I actually expected them to nerf their EVs quite a bit so as not to canibalise their other models which are still more profitable.

But I think this is an excellent story.
    VW seem to be (finally and fingers are crossed!!) transitioning to electric mobility.

Ultimately VW have the scale to push us much closer to that tipping point of EV over ICE.
    The ID3/4 for the Irish market are spot on in terms of size, range, practicality etc.
    It's going to take well recognized (and ironically trusted brands :D) like VW to get the ball rolling here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's pretty much VAG responding, you want a fast car, buy an Audi, VW is our conservative practical brand that just works.

jusmeig wrote: »
    They have talked about some fancy high end model I believe?
    VW has a really big portfolio of cars compared to Tesla, so I actually expected them to nerf their EVs quite a bit so as not to canibalise their other models which are still more profitable.

But I think this is an excellent story.
    VW seem to be (finally and fingers are crossed!!) transitioning to electric mobility.

Ultimately VW have the scale to push us much closer to that tipping point of EV over ICE.
    The ID3/4 for the Irish market are spot on in terms of size, range, practicality etc.
    It's going to take well recognized (and ironically trusted brands :D) like VW to get the ball rolling here.

Except making 100 Kw charging a more expensive option was a dirty shameful move in my opinion.

liamog wrote: »
    It's pretty much VAG responding, you want a fast car, buy an Audi, VW is our conservative practical brand that just works.

Oh they might make a faster model alright for a rip off price.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Oh they might make a faster model alright for a rip off price.

I see you've bought a car from Germany before :D

liamog wrote: »
    I see you've bought a car from Germany before :D

I did and for a great price too. ;)

The first edition has 150kW and RWD. That makes it faster away from the lights than any hot hatch petrol / diesel turbo for similar money

And pretty much with the flick of a switch they could make that 250kW, upgrade suspension and brakes, put on a few go faster stripes and ask for another €5k extra. Voila the ID.3 GTi :p

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭3d4life

Seems the honorary Chinaman might also become an honorary German !

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/manufacturing/deutschland-rocks-but-not-if-you-re-bmw-1.4352810

Advertisement