Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ronan Glynn on the Late Late Show

• 05-09-2020 2:41pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone watch it? What did you make of it?

It really felt like a propaganda exercise. While he comes across down to earth and personable, there was no hard questions, no curveballs. It was, to put it another way, boring.

Coupled with the previous item where the girl lost her father to C19, it like a PR exercise.

Not saying it was, but that is what is came across like.

Also the term 'wet pubs' is so patronising. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I thought he did a good job.

Hardly going to be hauled over the coals on the LLS.

Not propaganda more public information in a chat show setting.

The woman doctor's interview about her father's death was intense and personal and about as far removed from PR as it is possible to be.

Agree re. "wet pubs". Horrible term, I don't know where it came from but it should be consigned to the dustbin of history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Wet Pub? I hate it

Fluff piece. That’s all the LLS is now anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

faceman wrote: »
    Did anyone watch it? What did you make of it?

It really felt like a propaganda exercise. While he comes across down to earth and personable, there was no hard questions, no curveballs. It was, to put it another way, boring.

Coupled with the previous item where the girl lost her father to C19, it like a PR exercise.

Not saying it was, but that is what is came across like.

Also the term 'wet pubs' is so patronising. :pac:
    What was really patronising was two millionaires (thanks to the Irish taxpayer) propagating the government message without challenge, without an alternative voice on strategy, without discussing the economic ramifications of NPHET decisions etc.
    But then again it's RTE, so it should be no surprise to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭moonage

Tubs failed to ask that young woman an extremely important question:

Did her father have one or more underlying conditions that might have contributed to his death?

I suspect that if he had been fit and healthy Tubs or the daughter would have emphasised that.

• Advertisement

It was blatant propaganda. Get the sob story in before hand. Get Glynn out. Smugly suggest the majority support them.

Awkward silence when pubs and vaccines were mentioned.

We should just do as they say for 9 more months apparently.

Wasn’t quite clear what happens in 9 months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

moonage wrote: »
    Tubs failed to ask that young woman an extremely important question:

Did her father have one or more underlying conditions that might have contributed to his death?

I suspect that if he had been fit and healthy Tubs or the daughter would have emphasised that.
    "Dya reckon your dad was on the way out like, would you even have been bothered trying to save him or was he rickety and sh!te?"

Something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Like him, Trust Him, have faith in him, it's a shame Leo & Co are hell bent in undermining what Dr Glynn & NPHET have done and continues to do, namely act in the best interests of public health. Dr Glynn and indeed Professor Nolan appear to be the only people who've been consistent from day one.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Like him, Trust Him, have faith in him, it's a shame Leo & Co are hell bent in undermining what Dr Glynn & NPHET have done and continues to do, namely act in the best interests of public health. Dr Glynn and indeed Professor Nolan appear to be the only people who've been consistent from day one.

Well there’s no one stopping you personally following or going beyond Nphet guidelines is there (whatever they are as they seem to blow with whatever is the mania of a particular week) ?
    This whole thing is fading fast- all people are talking about is the (happily) extremely low mortality and hospitalisation rates the past month. The figures just speak for themselves

s1ippy wrote: »
    "Dya reckon your dad was on the way out like, would you even have been bothered trying to save him or was he rickety and sh!te?"

Something like that?

Sorry but in the context a patients full medical history is extremely pertinent here. If that’s understandably a private matter then don’t make it public by going on the LLS talking about it

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    Well there’s no one stopping you personally following or going beyond Nphet guidelines is there (whatever they are as they seem to blow with whatever is the mania of a particular week) ?
    This whole thing is fading fast- all people are talking about is the (happily) extremely low mortality and hospitalisation rates the past month. The figures just speak for themselves

They do indeed & I suspect NPHET & it's approach to date are the reason

The whole thing has been an exercise in manipulation from day one..

#inthistogether

Dempo1 wrote: »
    They do indeed & I suspect NPHET & it's approach to date are the reason

Virtually nothing to do with nphet who are simply a government cover mechanism. I dont get the almost religious like devotion.

CQD wrote: »

#inthistogether

The hash tag yes but not Dr Glynn & other medical experts, when you see the looneys in charge in the US, be thankful.

road_high wrote: »
    Virtually nothing to do with nphet who are simply a government cover mechanism. I dont get the almost religious like devotion.

We'll clearly disagree on this but I doubt sincerely Michael Martin, Leo, Simon Harris and dear God, the latest clown, Donnelly and their collective stupidly would have stirred the nation anyway but into an real crisis had it not been for NPHET. Its very telling Leo passed the book to MM when the poo was about to hit the fan and its equally telling Harris moved to a non discript department that seems only to announce another educational scheme when another crisis begins. Mind boggling ineptitude from the political leadership throughout this crisis

Kivaro wrote: »
    What was really patronising was two millionaires (thanks to the Irish taxpayer) propagating the government message without challenge, without an alternative voice on strategy, without discussing the economic ramifications of NPHET decisions etc.
    But then again it's RTE, so it should be no surprise to anyone.

Who were the two millionaires??? Tubs and????

You'd be a long time getting rich in the HSE.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

It was blatant propaganda. Get the sob story in before hand. Get Glynn out. Smugly suggest the majority support them.

Awkward silence when pubs and vaccines were mentioned.

We should just do as they say for 9 more months apparently.

Wasn’t quite clear what happens in 9 months.

Funny, I picked up on that too. For a man who said he doesn't deal in certainty, 9 months came up a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭bloopy

Funny, I picked up on that too. For a man who said he doesn't deal in certainty, 9 months came up a couple of times.

It was weird. Almost like something already decided on.
    Whether you can keep the current 'normal' going for another 9 months is a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Wet Pub? I hate it

Is there a deliberate effort to make them sound like a "wet market" where these viruses are generally originating?

Makes you wonder.

Why not just call them pubs, like we always did?

#Flattenthecurve!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭moonage

Maybe 9 months time is when the vaccine is planned to be released.

Some very cynical people say the vaccine was ready last year or earlier, before the virus was loosed upon the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

moonage wrote: »
    Maybe 9 months time is when the vaccine is planned to be released.

Some very cynical people say the vaccine was ready last year or earlier, before the virus was loosed upon the world.

Those are the sort of people who say we didn't land on the moon or that Bill Gates is trying to kill us all, so I wouldn't pay much attention to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is there a deliberate effort to make them sound like a "wet market" where these viruses are generally originating?

Makes you wonder.

Why not just call them pubs, like we always did?

Or to associate them with alcoholism- wet brain, wet hostels etc.

Did any of ye see anything about Event 201?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

CQD wrote:

CQD wrote:
    #inthistogether

#tinfoilman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Wet Pub? I hate it
    It's like a wet woman. Overpriced but you get what you paid for.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Who were the two millionaires??? Tubs and????

You'd be a long time getting rich in the HSE.
    You jest, right?
    The salary for the boss at the HSE is €350,000 per annum. It did not take him long to get rich in the HSE.
    The salary for the chief medical officer is also in the 6 figure range.
    Tubridy earns roughly 1/2 million euros per annum; the number is currently uncertain and it may be more, as RTE will not release the current salaries.

no.8 wrote: »
    #tinfoilman

Tinfoil facemask..

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Wet Pub? I hate it

Wet is used to describe homeless shelters where drunks and smack heads can use

You can see what's going on here

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    I thought he did a good job.

Hardly going to be hauled over the coals on the LLS.

Not propaganda more public information in a chat show setting.

The woman doctor's interview about her father's death was intense and personal and about as far removed from PR as it is possible to be.

Agree re. "wet pubs". Horrible term, I don't know where it came from but it should be consigned to the dustbin of history.

I heard the term WETS in northern england meaning beer. Also saw a film think it was brassed off set in northern england. Lads would refer to getting the WETS IN as in a round of drinks. Think it's English and northern English at that. Could be wrong..

Advertisement