Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edinburgh vs Ulster, Sat 5th Sept 7:35pm

• 04-09-2020 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

Ulster team to play Edinburgh, Guinness PRO14 semi-final, BT Murrayfield, Saturday 5 September (7.35pm, live on Premier Sports):

(15-9) Jacob Stockdale, Louis Ludik, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Rob Lyttle, Billy Burns (Capt.), John Cooney.
    (1-8) Eric O’Sullivan, Rob Herring, Tom O’Toole, Alan O’Connor, Sam Carter, Matthew Rea, Jordi Murphy, Marcell Coetzee.

Replacements: John Andrew, Jack McGrath, Marty Moore, Kieran Treadwell, Sean Reidy, Alby Mathewson, Ian Madigan, Michael Lowry.

Edinburgh Rugby team to face Ulster in the Guinness PRO14 Semi-Final
    BT Murrayfield, Saturday 5 September (kick-off 7.35pm) – live on Premier Sports

15. Blair Kinghorn (89)
    14. Darcy Graham (31)
    13. Mark Bennett (37)
    12. Chris Dean (90)
    11. Duhan van der Merwe (59)
    10. Jaco van der Walt (56)
    9. Nic Groom (12)

1. Rory Sutherland (83)
    2. Stuart McInally (144) CAPTAIN
    3. WP Nel (141)
    4. Ben Toolis (119)
    5. Grant Gilchrist (149)
    6. Magnus Bradbury (76)
    7. Hamish Watson (109)
    8. Viliame Mata (73)

Replacements: 16. Mike Willemse (20) 17. Pierre Schoeman (42) 18. Simon Berghan (80) 19. Andrew Davidson (1) 20. Jamie Ritchie (68) 21. Charlie Shiel (18) 22. Nathan Chamberlain (2) 23. George Taylor (21)

Jordi Murphy and Stockdale passed fit is a huge boost to Ulster. Edinburgh's release mentions a number of returning internationals so perhaps Ulster will be more battle hardened but they desperately need to improve their performance. EOS and TOT starting ahead of McGrath and Moore is intriguing.

Who will win? 3 votes

Awec
    0%
    David Nucifora
    100%
    thomond2006mfceiling[Deleted User] 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I mean, not having a table is bad enough, but inconsistent display format of teamsheets is just adding insult to injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

David Nucifora
    I mean, not having a table is bad enough, but inconsistent display format of teamsheets is just adding insult to injury.

v_zntL.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I for one, thank thomond for looking after his Northern brethren. We see you, bud.

If we're to stand any chance, we needed Murphy, Stockdale and McCloskey available. We're already missing four starters - I think missing seven would have been pretty much insurmountable.

Good to have some of the warriors back. AOC is has more dog than Treadwell, and delighted to see Reidy back. Aggressive, skilful backrower. Think he's under-rated outside Ulster - for my money, better than Cloete, for example.

We are really missing Marshall marshalling (ahem) our defence. Great reader of the game, great organiser off the ball (if he could only pass... sigh...) But it's fantastic to see two 21 year olds being trusted where there are older, more experienced players that could fill in (Moore and Faddes/Ludik). This is the business end of what's only McFarland's second season in charge, and building for the future is obviously still a priority. Whatever happens tomorrow night, this vote of confidence and exposure to proper pressure will stand O'Toole and Hume in good stead. Hopefully Lowry gets a good crack off the bench as well.

On the other hand, two notable absentees are McBurney and Gilroy. Dunno what the crack is with McBurney - maybe the ropy lineout or temper issues have edged Andrew ahead. Gilroy hasn't looked up to speed, but he's got to be concerned with Lyttle being given the nod in a make-or-break game. He's already behind Stockdale, Baloucoune and possibly Ludik. With Sexton and McIlroy bubbling under, it's conceivable he might go elsewhere for a payday.

And this is exactly why Alby and Madigan are here - this is a much stronger bench than would have been possible last season.

If we get the mental side right, we could be in a final next week.

SUFTUM

• Registered Users Posts: 12,267 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Mathewson really does make Ulster's bench look far more secure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I agree. Buer would have done a much better job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Best of luck Ulster, let's make it an all Irish final!

Yeah_Right wrote: »

But he didn't, did he? He sat on his hoop while THOMOND GOT THE JOB DONE.

David Nucifora
    Yeah_Right wrote: »

game-of-thrones-king-tommen-sees-his-queen-perish-dean-charles-chapman.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

game-of-thrones-king-tommen-sees-his-queen-perish-dean-charles-chapman.jpg

Sorry Thomond. I take it back. I was just trying to stir things up. The other build up thread hasn't had much in the way of vitriol and bile so I thought I'd have a crack here. Apologies.

Shut up Buer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

You can be sure the organizers are praying for an Ulster win to avoid quarantine issues.

It’s probably fair to say that both teams have not played anywhere near their best rugby in the last two weeks, Both are very evenly matched i think and whoever gets their groove going will win this one, a one score game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

You can be sure the organizers are praying for an Ulster win to avoid quarantine issues.

It’s probably fair to say that both teams have not played anywhere near their best rugby in the last two weeks, Both are very evenly matched i think and whoever gets their groove going will win this one, a one score game.

I'm sure they would be able to work around it. Finland soccer team playing here tomorrow and not having to quarantine

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

There is exemptions for pro sports teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

There is exemptions for pro sports teams.

Has the Irish Gov announced that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

AdamD wrote: »
    Mathewson really does make Ulster's bench look far more secure

Not sure any bench holding Moore and McGrath at the minute could be described as "secure".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Noticing a good few soccer players around Europe catching the virus. Do posters think it will be similar with rugby players in the next few weeks or possibly worse given the close contact nature of the game.

Offie time...nerves starting.

Just play well, lads. Put in a performance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Is Eir showing this on FB?

Premier sports seem to be playing no/a very reduced level of piped in crowd noise

David Nucifora
    The lack of fake crowd noise is much better.

David Nucifora
    Ah there it is.

Jesus it's just constant jeering...

• Advertisement

David Nucifora
    Somehow DVDM couldn't free his hands, at least two teammates were there in support for a stroll over.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Edinburgh getting a lot of joy when they move it wide. If VDM was a little less greedy, he could have put someone under the sticks.

Ulster slipping off one or two tackles. Coetzee covering back to save the day.

David Nucifora
    That's abysmal defence.

Well that was soft as f*ck.

Real lack of awareness from Ulster defence making it easy for McInally.

Bit naïve of van Der walt to go for the exact same kick twice in the space of 2 mins

Burns threatening the line nicely. He's spotting the Edinburgh defence pushing up wide but needs to probe in behind that a bit more.

Coetzee taking on too much which is making life easy for Edinburgh as they're double teaming him.

Edinburgh get Ulster out of jail there. Need to get some points on the board soon. I hope they don't turn down any easier penalty opportunities.

Take the points FFS.

David Nucifora
    Buer wrote: »
    Take the points FFS.

I think they might get a card out of Murphy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Trying way too hard here, should've taken the points.

• Advertisement

Ah jesus

Advertisement