Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home taps

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

"Creamer", similar to but not the same as the sparkler used on hand pump ales.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭shmeee

shane122 wrote: »
    I don't a Guinness tap I think it is called a nitro tap. Has a black tip which I can remove and clean. Everything got alot better since the temp has dropped. ðŸ˜

Fact!

Pints are flowing nicely the last few days now. Tapped a fresh keg earlier and she's just beautiful the black gold that's coming out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Hi All,
    need a bit of assistance.
    Running a home keg setup thingy, single cooler (calypso 5)
    Running a guiness keg only.
    this is my second keg since lockdown.
    First was for a communion party (small gathering when restrictions werent so tight) all went well.
    Pints seemed to hold the head well, not sure what the gas was to be honest.
    It was a cylinder I got about 9 years ago from the brew crew I think (or a guy from that company)
    I have gotten a second keg and needed a new gas cylinder.
    Have a mate who works for heinken and he got me a cylinder (in pic)
    I did tell him it was for guinness.
    Anyway, pints now don't seem to be as good.
    Look good post pull and first mouthful has a decent head on it but it dies quite quickly after that, tastes fine though.
    I have attached a photo.
    I presume its to do with the gas , I read about 75/25 suremix?
    From what I read, heieneken is 50/50 , does the regulator I have allow me to adjust that for guinness or is it simply a different gas for lager and guinness?
    If i need guinness gas can any one recommend somewhere to get it?
    Thanks (and sorry for all the questions)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pelliven

I would assume your mixed gas regulator will suffice. Stargas is where I got my 75/ 25 mix for guinness. A quick google should see if they have a stockist near you

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭jt69er

That gas will not work for Guinness. The gas is already mixed in the cylinders, the reg just regulates the pressure. hopefully if you have'nt poured too much of the keg you might be able to save it. If you continue to pour with that gas, after about 20 pints the Guinness will begin to pour high and the rest of the keg will be ruined.

• Advertisement

sham69 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    need a bit of assistance.
    Running a home keg setup thingy, single cooler (calypso 5)
    Running a guiness keg only.
    this is my second keg since lockdown.
    First was for a communion party (small gathering when restrictions werent so tight) all went well.
    Pints seemed to hold the head well, not sure what the gas was to be honest.
    It was a cylinder I got about 9 years ago from the brew crew I think (or a guy from that company)
    I have gotten a second keg and needed a new gas cylinder.
    Have a mate who works for heinken and he got me a cylinder (in pic)
    I did tell him it was for guinness.
    Anyway, pints now don't seem to be as good.
    Look good post pull and first mouthful has a decent head on it but it dies quite quickly after that, tastes fine though.
    I have attached a photo.
    I presume its to do with the gas , I read about 75/25 suremix?
    From what I read, heieneken is 50/50 , does the regulator I have allow me to adjust that for guinness or is it simply a different gas for lager and guinness?
    If i need guinness gas can any one recommend somewhere to get it?
    Thanks (and sorry for all the questions)

That's lager gas.

At a thing called nothing with it and don't pour anymore or you'll ruin the keg.

Get a bottle of suremix gas, 75% nitrogen and 25% CO2. That's the same Boc regulator I have for my Guinness so all you need is the right gas.

Ps. I was having trouble getting a bottle of that lager gas today BTW if you want to sell it on, I've an empty one to give also. Based in Tipp.

shmeee wrote: »
    That's lager gas.

At a thing called nothing with it and don't pour anymore or you'll ruin the keg.

Get a bottle of suremix gas, 75% nitrogen and 25% CO2. That's the same Boc regulator I have for my Guinness so all you need is the right gas.

Ps. I was having trouble getting a bottle of that lager gas today BTW if you want to sell it on, I've an empty one to give also. Based in Tipp.

Thanks for reply.
    I reckon I'm half way through the keg at least.
    Like I said, pints aren't actually that bad they just go dead pretty quick.
    I think I will sort a proper gas for my next keg at this point.
    Cheers all for the replies and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JohnB123456

would anyone happen to know were I can buy branded pint glasses?
    I'm mainly looking to buy 24 Rockshore ones, no luck after googling it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I very much doubt Rockshore glasses are available to civilians. Your friendly local publican would be the only possibility there.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Ebay is your friend in this case I've seen them for sale on the site before

• Advertisement

cheers lads, just an FYI on my search I found a Done Deal advert of a man selling glasses.

I contacted the seller in question who gave me a phone number, a quick google of the mobile number came back with people calling him a scammer so I may avoid that one

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

this woman on adverts happens to have 24 rockshores for sale.

https://www.adverts.ie/cups-glasses/rockshore-irish-lager-glasses/20983414

Thought it very strange that anybody would want rockshore glasses! I didn't think it would be popular enough.

I'm curious why you would want them, over say a collection of different brands. 1 or 2 I could understand but 24!?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pelliven

Anyone know what price a keg of guinness in musgraves is costing?

pelliven wrote: »
    I would assume your mixed gas regulator will suffice. Stargas is where I got my 75/ 25 mix for guinness. A quick google should see if they have a stockist near you

this gas is tough to find. There was a supplier in finglas , finglas fuels but they got snapped up. Rang stargas but voicemail only so waiting on them to get back to me.
    Found another place but its 160 quid for the cylinder, granted its a large one.
    I'll keep looking though. thanks again for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Can we get a few pics of your setups please for ideas and inspiration. About to purchase cooler and taps and looking to see what way ye have it all laid out. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Invincible

pelliven wrote: »
    Anyone know what price a keg of guinness in musgraves is costing?

Don't know, but D&M are 210 for 50L.

Invincible wrote: »

Local Cash and Carry the same.

€169 + Vat.

So with Vat drop be about €205 now. Finest!

Can we get a few pics of your setups please for ideas and inspiration. About to purchase cooler and taps and looking to see what way ye have it all laid out. Thanks

The bar was built out of some pallets and 2 x 3's. Then a sheet of ply on top coated in black gloss paint.

Bar is 120cm wide and 100cm deep to give you an idea of size.

We fit 2 kegs under the bar. Had Coors tapped up a while back also and plenty of room to run both taps.

See attached images.

The bar was built out of some pallets and 2 x 3's. Then a sheet of ply on top coated in black gloss paint.

Bar is 120cm wide and 100cm deep to give you an idea of size.

We fit 2 kegs under the bar. Had Coors tapped up a while back also and plenty of room to run both taps.

See attached images.

I've seen it recommended elsewhere that the cooler should be lifted off the floor to prevent condensation.

I've seen it recommended elsewhere that the cooler should be lifted off the floor to prevent condensation.

Havn't experienced any condensation anyway from it. Air can flow around it without any problems.

We were half thinking of putting it on a shelf but it limited ourselves then when trying to move bits around under the bar to fit in everything the time we had 2 kegs going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Well if anyone is selling a good setup I might be interested. Preferably 1 Guinness and lager set up. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Well if anyone is selling a good setup I might be interested. Preferably 1 Guinness and lager set up. Thanks

+1 here

rubadub wrote: »
    this woman on adverts happens to have 24 rockshores for sale.

https://www.adverts.ie/cups-glasses/rockshore-irish-lager-glasses/20983414

Thought it very strange that anybody would want rockshore glasses! I didn't think it would be popular enough.

I'm curious why you would want them, over say a collection of different brands. 1 or 2 I could understand but 24!?

It's my favourite drink and my brother drinks it too.
    I seem to get a better pour from my taps using a fresh glass each time.

I haven't quite mastered my technique yet, still too much foam/suds on top but still a nice pint.

whats D+M? always looking for a cheaper source.
    also I didn't know the public could use cash and carry

It's my favourite drink and my brother drinks it too.
    I seem to get a better pour from my taps using a fresh glass each time.

I haven't quite mastered my technique yet, still too much foam/suds on top but still a nice pint.

Let off the first drop of the beer until it runs clear from the tap on the initial fast pull of the tap.

whats D+M? always looking for a cheaper source.
    also I didn't know the public could use cash and carry

This was pricelist before 2%vat decrease.

0873258456 is the number cropped.

Also Tully's Carlow are recommended.

Anyone looking for gas, theres a guy on done deal based in Kilbeggan, got a 20l cylinder for 100, which should keep me going for a while.. (Guinness gas 70/30/)

Woman in Clare has, 2 line cooler,attachments,lines & gas.
    No taps or keg included.

Any one experience an issue where you are pouring the pint of Guinness, and then just as coming up to the harp (3/4 full) to stop the flow and leave to sit, the faucet blasts out some Guinness foam and the pint is ruined.

It happened last night on first 2 pints but after that the next 4/5 poured the finest. But may happen again when go to pull some again during the week.

It's like that rattle it makes when keg is going empty or youv'e swapped to a new keg. A pure blast of white foamy Guinness. And pint is then a pint a half pint full of head.

Tried all the usual, checked lines, cleaned lines, retapped keg etc. Temp is ok. Only thing that has changed it the keg since 2 weeks ago when 2 kegs puled through no problem and were smashing.

• Advertisement

Any one experience an issue where you are pouring the pint of Guinness, and then just as coming up to the harp (3/4 full) to stop the flow and leave to sit, the faucet blasts out some Guinness foam and the pint is ruined.

It happened last night on first 2 pints but after that the next 4/5 poured the finest. But may happen again when go to pull some again during the week.

It's like that rattle it makes when keg is going empty or youv'e swapped to a new keg. A pure blast of white foamy Guinness. And pint is then a pint a half pint full of head.

Tried all the usual, checked lines, cleaned lines, retapped keg etc. Temp is ok. Only thing that has changed it the keg since 2 weeks ago when 2 kegs puled through no problem and were smashing.

Good question for this group...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/717603259003723/?ref=share

Advertisement