Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have NPHET lost the attention of people?

• 03-09-2020 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭

When this pandemic first occurred NPHET were out and advising a lot of precautions which people actually took notice of....just recently I've noticed more and more people that I talk to are saying they're taking no more notice of NPHET as they just seem to be repeating the same warnings as before...hygiene...social distancing...etc....and just seem to be going through the motions now at these briefings they give.

Have they lost the attention of the people?

Should NPHED be disbanded ? 886 votes

Yes
    78% 692 votes
    No
    21% 194 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

A lot of people might just be sick of listening to an unelected government wearing blinkers imposing draconian rules on them. Curtailing life and possibly doing more harm than good to the population at this stage. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,377 ✭✭✭✭road_high

gifted wrote: »
    When this pandemic first occurred NPHET were out and advising a lot of precautions which people actually took notice of....just recently I've noticed more and more people that I talk to are saying they're taking no more notice of NPHET as they just seem to be repeating the same warnings as before...hygiene...social distancing...etc....and just seem to be going through the motions now at these briefings they give.

Have they lost the attention of the people?

Stopped listening to them months ago. I find them extremely negative/hung up on childish scaremongering- always finger whagging and generally talking down to the populace. Sorry, I left school nearly two decades ago. Don't need that approach whcih I find all wrong.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,921 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yes

When they had a prescribed goal and target it (flatten the curve, protect the health service) was easy to row in behind them ... especially with a roadmap to reopening.

Now, they have no tangible prescribed goal.... "suppress the virus" is not good enough.
    They need to come out and show what specific level of contagion they want to target, and they need to let us, the people, determine if that's acceptable or not in the realisation of the effort to get there.

i have been absolutely flabbergasted at the level of surprise and concern from NPHET about the rise in the number of cases after the lockdown was lifted. The number of cases were always going to rise, in proportion to the level of reopening.
    What exactly did they expect to happen?? no increase? if so, why woudl they expect that?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ElektroToad

The NPHET are losing credibility imho.

At the start the message was clear and easy to understand: tight restrictions were imposed on society to "flatten the curve" and buy our health sector valuable time to face the unknown challenges ahead.

Now 6 months on, the message is confusing and contradictory. They say we must learn to "live with the virus" but that doesn't make sense when you consider the huge sectors of the economy are closed / operating as a shadow of their normal selves. That doesn't sound like "living with the virus" to me. It sounds more like "lets all hunker down and hope for the best"... There's no clear goal to work toward and so people are quite rightly a bit fed up with them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,932 ✭✭✭✭event

NPHET arent. But the government are. They should be the ones pushing the message from NPHET and they are failing massively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

If they stayed on point then people would be listening as they were before. It's the ridiculous hypocrisies that has annoyed people, to the point that the public assumes they have no idea what they're doing.

No attendance at sporting events is a perfect example. We've had months of them telling us that outside with distancing is multiple times safer than indoors. We have very large grounds where distancing is easily achievable. The vast vast majority of other countries are allowing it. Yet our health service alone has the knowledge that its somehow unsafe, going against their previous outdoors advice

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'm not sure why you are expecting public health to to change what they are saying.

Wash your hands
    Keep your distance
    Outdoor is better than indoor
    Reduce contacts

It's all as relevant now as it was in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,377 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I found their recommendation to and of the Governemnt for rubber stamping it, the extra restrictions on outdoor/indoor sports and training/gyms extremely poor from a physical and mental health POV.
    Both activities benefit people hugely in boosting people's immune systems and general health. But all they could see was "the virus". Locking at home doing nothing is very detrimental

• Subscribers Posts: 40,921 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

hmmm wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you are expecting public health to to change what they are saying.

Wash your hands
    Keep your distance
    Outdoor is better than indoor
    Reduce contacts

It's all as relevant now as it was in March.

no one at all has questioned the individual actions required.
    These were required during lockdown, and are still required today.... and even after all this has passed they are still actions which are positive and should be continued.

Nothing at all to do with this thread though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Erranged

I'm tired of all the focus on daily numbers and the spin and fearmongering and the sheer number of different restrictions

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Nothing at all to do with this thread though
    The OP said:

"I've noticed more and more people that I talk to are saying they're taking no more notice of NPHET as they just seem to be repeating the same warnings as before...hygiene...social distancing...etc"

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

People just weary of it. I think at the beginning we fell in behind with the message 'stay home' 'flatten the curve' and that was working seemed like there could be an end or some hope of back to normal by end this year.
    Now it's just yep go back to work, school etc but no parties, socializing, travel or fun allowed! I totally understand why, its just people are looking ahead to winter months thinking F***, is this all I have to look forward to. Young people heading off to college one week a month, back with mammy & daddy then for the rest of the time, unable to head out for a night with friends without questioning, older people on their own dark winter nights, no cards, bridge, senior clubs. People in events, live entertainment, hospitality & tourism also not looking a a great few months ahead - I mean yeh we all lucky to be alive but honestly listening to nphet or the govt right now would tip you over the edge!

Who would have thought that been expected to work for 40 hours a week while having the majority of social activities either closed or heavily restricted would have eventually led to huge unrest?

All for an illness that has killed around 0.035% of our population. And keeping in mind that we admitted that the tiny death rate is way overstated. And most of those deaths were people that were extremely ill already and likely to die very soon with or without Covid anyways.

It doesn't really help when you have the CMO on TV admitting that most of the cases in Kildare weren't even sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,912 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

No it hasn't but what is abundantly clear is the outrageous cynical underming of it by FG & independent TD"S, I can understand the independents parish pump politicking but FG are supposed to be in government, in particular Leo has been on a solo mission, not just to undermine NPHET but government policy, which he not only supported but introduced. Indeed his sudden interest in pubs reopening is beyond hypocrisy, it was him who closed them down. Every announcement or initiative he's announced in his new role has either backfired, misfired or just been dismissed, the oddest one being the staycation tax rebate.

To my mind the only organisation that has shown any consistency throughout this crisis and painful as it might be is NPHET.

Just watching Eamonn Ryan taking questions in the Dail, mother of God, why o why does any of his government colleagues think this is wise, absolutely dreadful and incoherent

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

And most of those deaths were people that were extremely ill already and likely to die very soon with or without Covid anyways.

Would genuinely like to know what source you got the "people that died from covid were going to die soon anyways" from?

What an awful attitude towards vulnerable people in our society. I'd hazard a guess that you don't fall into the vulnerable category, or have anyone close to you that does, otherwise you mightn't be so flippant with your "ah sure they were gonna die anyway" attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

If you are a member of NPHET, your job is to advise on public health. If it was me, I would want to be overly conservative so no one could come at me and say I didn’t warn enough etc etc. That’s fine and that’s what I think NPHET we’re doing, even without Covid they prob think pubs are risky.

The governments job is to take that advice and look at the bigger picture, the economy etc and then decide what to accept.

So I think people blame NPHET but the real issue is the government not leading, and hiding behind “science or public health advice”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Ridgerun wrote: »
    Would genuinely like to know what source you got the "people that died from covid were going to die soon anyways" from?

What an awful attitude towards vulnerable people in our society. I'd hazard a guess that you don't fall into the vulnerable category, or have anyone close to you that does, otherwise you mightn't be so flippant with your "ah sure they were gonna die anyway" attitude.

It may not be very palatable but it is still true. WHO says 80% of people who catch it will have none or very mild symptoms. 15% moderate symptoms with 5% experiencing severe symptoms. These 5% are usually very elderly or vulnerable or both. This 5% needs to be extra vigilant, again unpalatable but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Chopper Dave

It's the Government that has lost the attention of people. The communication of the last set of restrictions a few weeks ago was shambolic and Ministers were struggling to address contradictions six people indoors but not for mass, only 15 people outdoors but games ok, etc. And that was before Golfgate ripped their credibility completely apart.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    If you are a member of NPHET, your job is to advise on public health. If it was me, I would want to be overly conservative so no one could come at me and say I didn’t warn enough etc etc. That’s fine and that’s what I think NPHET we’re doing, even without Covid they prob think pubs are risky.
    I agree & disagree :).

Public health doctors are some of the best at recognising trade-offs. I know one personally, and she's always thinking about wider pictures - e.g. mental health. It's public health which are pushing to get schools back, even though there is risk involved.

They are naturally relatively conservative, but it'd be very easy for them to say "shut everything down". They have approved opening up parts of the economy which they think are safe to do so.

It's difficult for a politician to ignore the advice of people like NPHET. They can tweak the advice a bit, but you can be guaranteed there would be a tribunal if the government over-ruled public health and people died as a consequence of those decisions.

I agree with Chopper above that the communication has been very poor. This is the bit politicians are supposed to be good at.

It may not be very palatable but it is still true. WHO says 80% of people who catch it will have none or very mild symptoms. 15% moderate symptoms with 5% experiencing severe symptoms. These 5% are usually very elderly or vulnerable or both. This 5% needs to be extra vigilant, again unpalatable but true.

I'm aware of the statistics you're stating - but saying that people who died from it were going to die soon anyway is just a terribly selfish viewpoint.

My grandfather was diagnosed with lung cancer 7 years ago. He's still living a normal and happy life now as luckily it hasn't progressed much. If he caught covid 7 years ago when diagnosed and receiving chemo, he'd be down as a statistic and people would have had the viewpoint of "sure he was going to die soon anyway". There are people behind these statistics.

At the end of the day, as intelligent beings we should be able to simply wash our hands, social distance and wear masks to protect other vulnerable people in our society. Not have the "ah sure, I won't die from it, I can do what I want" approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

https://twitter.com/i/status/1301430902405451776

Have to say, like her or loathe her, Ciara Kelly is spot on re Covid and has been for months.

Have to say, like her or loathe her, Ciara Kelly is spot on re Covid and has been for months.

She is absolutely bang on with those comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Have to say I'd go with love.

She is so refreshing and pragmatic.

So easy listen to, most other journalists and interviewers are overpaid echo chambers

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

The government have blundered by giving NPHET so much of a platform. Of course people aren't going to listen to the same things about being extra cautious etc. repeated for the 50th time, no matter the spin on it. NPHET should be banned from talking to the media. Let them advise the government, of course, but in private. NPHET aren't politicians for good reason, they may be aware of the kind of medical advice people need to follow, but they have no clue on how to deliver it, and letting them try to deliver it with constant nagging/finger pointing/scaremongering is proving painfully ineffective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

I think that even with the best will in the world and with people still being on board with the reasons for the restrictions, there's only so long they can take it. Especially when the vast, vast majority of people will have had little or no up close experience of the worst effects of covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They are driving outside of their lane and have been for a while. They are abusing this situation to try and manoeuvre stuff that they as individuals would be lobbying for without Covid.

There has been more and more talk about flu season. Things like Masks and 2 hour pub/Restaurant limits are things that they will want permanently.

Keeping this crisis going on as long as possible benefits them to suit their ideological purposes. And we know full well that they probably have books half written or book deals in the pipeline.

The crisis is over and they need to go back to their regular jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

The next 2 weeks are critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

The next 2 weeks are critical.

They've really overused that one. They need to keep it in their back pocket until things get close to armageddon levels.

What we need is a government with balls.

Big enough balls to make decisions rather than hiding behind NPHET.

NPHET have done a good job, but they should be advising the government not dictating to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I follow the hygiene , cough etiquette, mask, hand hygiene the common sense advice. The rest of their nonsense along with a plethora of other numpties such as Staines, Ryan, Killeen I ignore.

Advertisement