Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places around Waterford that were rumoured to be haunted

• 02-09-2020 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

I heard the former Bishops husseys house on Grace Diue road was haunted. Where else have there been stories attached to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭sitkaspruce

The cinema across from Tescos Pole Berry there is well known to be haunted (I think its Odeon, open to correction).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Manor of St John in Lisduggan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

There is an old fashioned house opposite Dawn Meats on the N25 to Dungarvan thats supposed to be haunted. I have absolutely no idea what the original tale is, probably grown legs by now. Drove past it a few times and it just looks like a tired old house to me. No bad vibes.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Paddy Power's in John's Park is also rumoured to have had a few spooky events.

The Folly is also supposed to be, seen a few things myself up that way, including coming home one night and seeing an oldish woman walk down the road at about 2.30am in the morning, plain as day, it was only when I thought about it I asked myself who would leave a woman that age walk home on her own that hour of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

5 Ladys Lane, i knew a woman who lived there for a short bit with her new husband, they hated the place after they were married and had all sorts of strange goings on. Their is also a house in the grange area as well very near the old Spar shop, but for privacy reasons i will not be disclosing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

There is an old fashioned house opposite Dawn Meats on the N25 to Dungarvan thats supposed to be haunted. I have absolutely no idea what the original tale is, probably grown legs by now. Drove past it a few times and it just looks like a tired old house to me. No bad vibes.

I know exactly which one you're talking about. I've been told that everytime I've passed. I''d like to know more about because it doesn't look like anyone has lived there for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Any more detailed stories by any chance? To scare the tourists with when we see them again

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

I know exactly which one you're talking about. I've been told that everytime I've passed. I''d like to know more about because it doesn't look like anyone has lived there for years.

An american lady live there in the late 90s but not for long. A friend of mine took a photo of the place and you a shadow of a person looking out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭914

Infirmary on Johns hill always had a story or two before it was done it.

I also know the house that you are on about on the n25. I was told a story about it once, but for the life of me I can't remember.

The ballinamona road os another. Something about soemone not letting a lady though their land to attend a doctor and she died and has been spotted on the road (she may have been pregnant) again memory is my enemy here.

Also the story of either lord waterford or mount Congreve where a lady put a course on the family when her son died on her land. Thats a great story but also can't remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Motivator

jimbojazz wrote: »

Yeah the witches behind the counter would frighten the life out of anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭niallo76

914 wrote: »
    Infirmary on Johns hill always had a story or two before it was done it.

I also know the house that you are on about on the n25. I was told a story about it once, but for the life of me I can't remember.

The ballinamona road os another. Something about soemone not letting a lady though their land to attend a doctor and she died and has been spotted on the road (she may have been pregnant) again memory is my enemy here.

Also the story of either lord waterford or mount Congreve where a lady put a course on the family when her son died on her land. Thats a great story but also can't remember it.

From the obituary of the 8th Marquis who died 5 years ago.
    >The 8th Marquis of Waterford, who has died aged 81, was an Irish peer and a noted player in the Duke of Edinburgh's polo team.

That Lord Waterford reached the age he did might have surprised the superstitious, for some believed his family to be the object of a particularly malevolent curse. He himself inherited the title at only a year old, when his father, the 7th Marquis, died aged 33 in a shooting accident in the gun room at the family seat, Curraghmore, in Co Waterford.

The 3rd Marquis broke his neck in a fall in the hunting field in 1859; the 5th shot himself in 1895, worn down by years of suffering from injuries caused by a hunting accident which had left him crippled; and the 6th Marquis, having narrowly escaped being killed by a lion while big game hunting in Africa, drowned in a river on his estate in 1911 when he was 36.

Neither were the less exalted members of the family immune. Lord Delaval Beresford was killed in a railway accident in Texas in 1907; while in 1910, a Mr C de la Poer Beresford lost his life while attempting to stop a runaway horse.

The marquisate was created in 1789 for George Beresford, the 2nd Earl of Tyrone, and the Beresfords would become one of the most decorated Ango-Irish families, producing a succession of notable politicians, churchmen and soldiers - Lord William Beresford, third son of the 4th Marquis, won a Victoria Cross at Ulundi during the Zulu war of 1879.

Motivator wrote: »
    Yeah the witches behind the counter would frighten the life out of anyone.

I think she's left, if you know who I mean;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

This one?

https://goo.gl/maps/WZADv7B4eLSbcgHU8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

The library in lady Lane is supposed to be haunted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Motivator

I think she's left, if you know who I mean;)

It’s been a few years since I darkened the door of that kip. It was like Halloween 365 days of the year in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

The Folly is also supposed to be, seen a few things myself up that way, including coming home one night and seeing an oldish woman walk down the road at about 2.30am in the morning, plain as day, it was only when I thought about it I asked myself who would leave a woman that age walk home on her own that hour of the night.

Strange. I was down near RSC around 5 am one time and I seen a very old, haggard looking scary kind of lady, rolling this weird old dolls pram with stuff in it and she had a strange facial expression. She just walked past and didn't even acknowledge me. I often wonder was it even real

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭south

Years ago, when you passed that house,the car radios used to go dead- you'd lose reception.. dead spot!
    i think that's where the story came from.

Strange. I was down near RSC around 5 am one time and I seen a very old, haggard looking scary kind of lady, rolling this weird old dolls pram with stuff in it and she had a strange facial expression. She just walked past and didn't even acknowledge me. I often wonder was it even real

I saw her as well one morning. She's living locally. She uses the pram to put utensils in like blocks of wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mick111112

Ghostly Waterford tales.....spooky! this is the old tread, its a good read.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055347302

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭rekdtangle

south wrote: »
    Years ago, when you passed that house,the car radios used to go dead- you'd lose reception.. dead spot!
    i think that's where the story came from.

There was an old thread about this on here years ago. I remember it was along the lines of the child who lived there was knocked down on his bike outside the house and killed and that it's his ghost.

I have lived in the Infirmary. I moved out after an incident one night. There is certainly something haunted about the place.

rekdtangle wrote: »
    There was an old thread about this on here years ago. I remember it was along the lines of the child who lived there was knocked down on his bike outside the house and killed and that it's his ghost.

I have lived in the Infirmary. I moved out after an incident one night. There is certainly something haunted about the place.

Heard that ok, my daughter's friend lived in there, said a lot of strange things happened there, she moved out fairly quick.

Wasn't there also sightings on the Quay, people seeing figures in in medieval clothing etc.

Not Waterford related, but I lived in the UK for a while, and was renting in a fairly new house, I was in the kitchen one day and turned around and there was a lad standing right beside me, clear as day, modern clothes, then just disappeared, freaked the she height out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭BBM77

What was the incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

From the obituary of the 8th Marquis who died 5 years ago.
    >The 8th Marquis of Waterford, who has died aged 81, was an Irish peer and a noted player in the Duke of Edinburgh's polo team.

That Lord Waterford reached the age he did might have surprised the superstitious, for some believed his family to be the object of a particularly malevolent curse. He himself inherited the title at only a year old, when his father, the 7th Marquis, died aged 33 in a shooting accident in the gun room at the family seat, Curraghmore, in Co Waterford.

The 3rd Marquis broke his neck in a fall in the hunting field in 1859; the 5th shot himself in 1895, worn down by years of suffering from injuries caused by a hunting accident which had left him crippled; and the 6th Marquis, having narrowly escaped being killed by a lion while big game hunting in Africa, drowned in a river on his estate in 1911 when he was 36.

Neither were the less exalted members of the family immune. Lord Delaval Beresford was killed in a railway accident in Texas in 1907; while in 1910, a Mr C de la Poer Beresford lost his life while attempting to stop a runaway horse.

The marquisate was created in 1789 for George Beresford, the 2nd Earl of Tyrone, and the Beresfords would become one of the most decorated Ango-Irish families, producing a succession of notable politicians, churchmen and soldiers - Lord William Beresford, third son of the 4th Marquis, won a Victoria Cross at Ulundi during the Zulu war of 1879.

There is a recurring theme here of toffs being outdone by animals, despite the toffs possessing weaponry. That's not a curse, its just that you shouldn't drink before your hunting session. Lord toff wouldn't be the quickest as the best of times due to gout, and personally I'm inclined to blame the servant for not loading the buckshot quickly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Flow Motion

I've heard a few spooky things about the place too. As it formerly served as a hospital many people would have passed away there under a variety of circumstances. In fact it was originally known as the Leper Hospital. Above the door reads "Leper Hospital - 1785 Waterford City & County Infirmary - 1897"

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20175257.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

There's a haunted tunnel that goes under the river suir from the Abbey church to reginalds tower. I was walking my jack russel there a few years ago and some giant rats attacked him and dragged him into the darkness. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭squeekyduck

I have a freakish story about the Kilmeaden area house that everyone talks about. We used to go there years ago (10 years plus) and drive along it, stop outside, talk and move on. It always scared us and we never dared to go outside the car, never mind into the house.

Last year I went to Cork around Xmas time and I was coming back in the early hours, as I was passing the famous house I looked in my rear mirror and I could see a car tailgating me. It didn't have any lights on and I only noticed it due to the red lights reflecting off the car behind me. It must have been about 0.5 M away. I didnt notice a driver and in seconds I dropped a gear and fled back into Waterford.

It might have been a drunk driver, going home from the pub, who knows. All I know it that it scared the crap out of me and it had to have happened near that house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I take 99% of haunting's with a massive pinch of salt. I think almost all of them are just products of shadow, light, psychological suggestion, attention seeking, mental illness or publicity. Look at the Ouija Board, they have proved that is nothing more than collective suggestion because when people are blindfolded, ti doesnt work- surely the spirit world could overcome such a barrier!

Im not absolutely closed minded though as I think everyone has an inner intuition that turns on in certain situations and around certain people.

Maybe certain buildings retain the sad/angry/distressed energy of previous events and people, stamping the environment almost like a moving picture book, so what you feel is an endless retelling of absorbed energy bouncing back off people who can tune into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

tonc76 wrote: »

That's the one I heard about. My father is from ballysionnach, I asked him about it before, he said it's supposed to be. Can't remember what he said about it, I will ask him again

• Advertisement

In the TempleMichael Graveyard there is a headstone where every person died on the 13th of each month. This was according to a curse put on the family of the Balinatray house nearby.

Advertisement