Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Due December 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Well, I knew it was too good to be true, I've escaped most nasty symptoms so far, then T3 all hit with a bang.

Lightening crotch, mobility issues, killer heartburn, restless legs, leg cramps, night AND day insomnia, and Braxton Hicks to top it all off.

Any tips for the heartburn in particular??

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭BOB2017

Shelli2 wrote: »
    Well, I knew it was too good to be true, I've escaped most nasty symptoms so far, then T3 all hit with a bang.

Lightening crotch, mobility issues, killer heartburn, restless legs, leg cramps, night AND day insomnia, and Braxton Hicks to top it all off.

Any tips for the heartburn in particular??

Had quite bad heartburn on my first, Rennies & Gaviscon were my best friend - I ended up getting prescribed something for it but I think that's now off the market. It's worth mentioning to your GP/hospital to see if there is anything that can be prescribed for it anyway.

I found that not letting my stomach get empty helped - even just sipping water would keep it at bay a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Becks0603

Sorry I can't be of any help, first timer over here and dreading facing all of those things shelli2 :(

I hope something helps soon x

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Hi ladies,

Yes, just got the whooping cough today and have to wait until late Sept. for the flu. The whooping cough cost me 25!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, I’m currently 25 weeks pregnant with my first babyin had my initial 12 week scan and 20 week scan. I’m with the mlu but never received an appointment with them. When should I start going back up to hospital for appointments

• Advertisement

I had my whooping cough on Friday. It was free, and I confirmed with my doctor that it was covered under the combined care scheme.

Anyone have other kids going back to school?
    My son is going back into 2nd year on Thursday.
    He's nervous about the virus, and even moreso about bringing it home to me, bless him.
    We've been so careful as a family, I have to admit I'm a bit anxious myself.

I had my whooping cough on Friday. It was free, and I confirmed with my doctor that it was covered under the combined care scheme.

Anyone have other kids going back to school?
    My son is going back into 2nd year on Thursday.
    He's nervous about the virus, and even moreso about bringing it home to me, bless him.
    We've been so careful as a family, I have to admit I'm a bit anxious myself.

I paid E25. The variance is crazy. This is my first child, but I returned to teaching in a school with 800 pupils and 80 staff this week - very anxious!

It's ridiculous that different GP's are charging different prices or not at all for the vaccine!

Yeah I think the schools going back is making everyone anxious and then the numbers yesterday were so high :(

How's everyone feeling? 25 weeks yesterday and I feel like time is flying by!

I am feeling OK but I am having trouble sleeping. I think I have severe restless leg syndrome, but I have a lot of anxiety around work too and it's all affecting my sleep. I started iron tablets today. I had my glucose tolerance test last week which was fine but I received a letter yesterday saying that I had iron levels of Hb10.2 and that I should start an iron tablet. I got the pregnancy specific ones. I didn't have any feeling of being low in iron but hopefully it'll be of benefit.

25+4 today.

Feeling mainly ok. Sleep still an issue but just napping when I need to. And I have stashes of Gaviscon everywhere LOL.

Eating bananas is supposed to help with restless legs!

We've decided to book a private 3d scan. This is definitely my last pregnancy, and my only one with my husband, it's killing me that he's not allowed in to any appointments.
    I really thought it'd all be back to normal for our anatomy scan in August, but now I'm even scared for the delivery in December.

• Advertisement

Yes, we're going to book a private 3-D scan this weekend. It's our first and himself has been very upset every time that I've gone for a scan without him.

Bananas - brilliant. I must try that.

Struggling with the sleeping here too, I used to sleep on my belly which I obviously can't do anymore so finding that whatever side I lie on, goes numb after a while and I am constantly waking to swap sides :(

I must look into a 3D scan actually, it's very tough on all the dad's missing out.
    I'm starting to think a bit like you Shelli and worrying about delivery time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sm8

Hey,
    I’m currently 26+5day pregnant With my first .has anyone started buying anything? Like what are the essentials that you have to buy? Like I know a buggy, Moses basket but what else do I need

sm8 wrote: »
    Hey,
    I’m currently 26+5day pregnant With my first .has anyone started buying anything? Like what are the essentials that you have to buy? Like I know a buggy, Moses basket but what else do I need

It's my first too so I'm not really sure, but so far we have bought the travel system, a bouncer, a cot and lots and lots of vests and sleep suits. I was at Lidl this morning at 7.50 to buy the Chicco co-sleeper, an activity gym and the bath thermometer. I don't think we're going to get a Moses basket. I also got the free starter pack in SuperValu via the Everymum website. Things still on the list include a changing/bath unit, nipple angels, a good thermometer and a baby monitor.

First time mam here too so not sure how much help I can be but we've ordered the travel system, a cosleeper for beside our bed, a travel cot with a newborn bassinet insert that can be used downstairs instead of a moses basket and then we have the travel cot for a couple of years, it also has a changing mat on top rather than getting a separate changing table and a rocker chair that goes from infant to toddler from Fisher price. Small enough house so trying to be practical in what we're buying.

Still on the list are monitors can't decide on what ones to go for, has anyone any suggestions?

Lots of vests and babygrows also bought!

Depending on how you plan to feed maybe a steriliser/bottles or breast pump. Still haven't made up my mind on that either :(

Hows everyone feeling these days? Getting closer now! Anyone started hospital bags yet? I'm thinking of at least starting in the next couple of weeks, or is it too early?

I'm 28+3 today and I'm absolutely huge. Constantly asked if I'm having twins and startling people by telling them I've another 12wks to go! LOL.
    I was huge on my son too, so it's not new to me.

I was finally discharged from Pre-term Surveillance Clinic, delighted!
    Placenta still very low so chances of section are increasing, consultant says it's about 60-70% chance now.
    I don't really mind either way.

However....the hospital restrictions are giving me severe anxiety. Vaginal or section, I just can't imagine giving birth without my husband there from start to finish, and afterwards!!

I'm hounding my local TDs, it needs to be changed immediately.

Hows everyone feeling these days? Getting closer now! Anyone started hospital bags yet? I'm thinking of at least starting in the next couple of weeks, or is it too early?

I'm 28+3 today and I'm absolutely huge. Constantly asked if I'm having twins and startling people by telling them I've another 12wks to go! LOL.
    I was huge on my son too, so it's not new to me.

I was finally discharged from Pre-term Surveillance Clinic, delighted!
    Placenta still very low so chances of section are increasing, consultant says it's about 60-70% chance now.
    I don't really mind either way.

However....the hospital restrictions are giving me severe anxiety. Vaginal or section, I just can't imagine giving birth without my husband there from start to finish, and afterwards!!

I'm hounding my local TDs, it needs to be changed immediately.

Haven't really started hospital bags as such but have been getting together newborn outfits for the hospital and picked up an extra large black towel and loose black pjs from penneys just so its not a big rush out to buy loads of stuff at the same time!

Thats great news about the pre-term clinic, my placenta was low lying last appointment as well and due back I next friday so will hopefully get an update on that.

Really anxious about the restrictions as well, I'm just hoping that things will be a little looser by December. I'm feeling quite anxious in general with the numbers going up and the lack of compliance I can see on social media and my boss is still insisting on us working in the office.

Other than all of that just feeling tired how is everyone else feeling?

Becks0603 wrote: »
    Haven't really started hospital bags as such but have been getting together newborn outfits for the hospital and picked up an extra large black towel and loose black pjs from penneys just so its not a big rush out to buy loads of stuff at the same time!

I hadn't thought about dark towels until you posted, good thinking! so last night I ordered a black towel wrap with elastic and button on the top, and a deep purple short sleeve lightweight zip up towel robe on Amazon. I also ordered a stash of disposable pants.
    I'll hit up penny's for some nighties over the coming weeks, they also have cheap soft nursing bras which are great for sleeping in.

I hadn't thought about dark towels until you posted, good thinking! so last night I ordered a black towel wrap with elastic and button on the top, and a deep purple short sleeve lightweight zip up towel robe on Amazon. I also ordered a stash of disposable pants.
    I'll hit up penny's for some nighties over the coming weeks, they also have cheap soft nursing bras which are great for sleeping in.

Zip up towel robe is a great idea, must have a look on amazon. Some of the lists for hospital bags are ridiculous so trying to keep it to the necessities, I will reread the hospital bags thread on here and make a bit of a list so can be ticking things off as we go along. Surreal to think we're into the third trimester now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 maisie_moo

Hey ladies.
    Havnt been on here in awhile.
    I'm 30+1. Time flying. Nothing done! Ye are all so prepared, good on ye!! I'm extremely busy in work and on my feet all day that I just dont have time to think baby stuff. When I get home late in evening I'm just exhausted. I'm gonna finish up in four more weeks so will get my head in the game then. I'm always a last minute person anyway haha.

Great news about your discharge from clinic Shelli.
    Any update on your placenta Becks?

I feel restrictions wont be let up. Not in CUMH anyway. They really dont care about us women! Such a shame in this day and age. Let the partners get tested!! I guess because this is my first baby I wont know any different and trying not to over think things. Just going with the flow. We can do it ladies!!! We are strong!!! Xxx

• Advertisement

Hi everyone.

Shelli, that's fab re: your discharge. You must be happy to have that behind you.

I am 29 weeks today and I am also huge. The PGP that was really bad in July is starting to creep back in again. I am finding myself increasingly challenged in my mobility. I will go to work this week and if it feels like too much I'll look to getting signed off the following week. I would use a lot of sick leave but I am so exhausted coming home everyday that I think it would be worth it.

I had a consultation on Tuesday where I found out that my GTT test was negative, but it was close to the line in some of the categories. She did a scan and said that the head and spine were measuring fine but that the stomach was measuring two weeks ahead. She proceeded to give me a lecture about my diet, etc. I was surprised because I have been making a very conscious effort with my diet all summer. I was very upset leaving the hospital. I went back yesterday to repeat my GTT and to have a repeat anatomy scan. The anatomy scan showed that actually the stomach - and everything else - was measuring totally normal. The sonographer said it was probably because the gyne/obs have inferior machines in their offices. I was relieved but also a bit annoyed because I had been so worried all week.

I haven't started packing a hospital bag yet, but I will also read the thread on here and come up with a list to make a start on. I've ordered some nighties online and we have already bought all of the big stuff for the baby. We put the co-sleeper together this morning. We're buying some nappies/sudocream/wipes/sleep suits, etc. with the shopping every week so I have a wardrobe that's completely bursting at this stage. I should really stop buying clothes, I know, but we're having a girl and everything is so damn cute.

I am also a bit anxious about restrictions on fathers. When I was waiting for the clinic to open for my repeat tests yesterday morning, I saw a woman going in to have her baby. She was waddling along with her partner who was holding her bags. Once they got to the door, a porter came and took the bags off the partner and he had to shuffle off back to his car while she went in for the early stages of labour. It really broke my heart looking at it.

maisie_moo wrote: »
    Hey ladies.
    Havnt been on here in awhile.
    I'm 30+1. Time flying. Nothing done! Ye are all so prepared, good on ye!! I'm extremely busy in work and on my feet all day that I just dont have time to think baby stuff. When I get home late in evening I'm just exhausted. I'm gonna finish up in four more weeks so will get my head in the game then. I'm always a last minute person anyway haha.

Great news about your discharge from clinic Shelli.
    Any update on your placenta Becks?

I feel restrictions wont be let up. Not in CUMH anyway. They really dont care about us women! Such a shame in this day and age. Let the partners get tested!! I guess because this is my first baby I wont know any different and trying not to over think things. Just going with the flow. We can do it ladies!!! We are strong!!! Xxx

Ah not too much done its just distracting me from the anxiety of watching the news 🙈

No updates on the placenta yet they have me booked in for a scan in another 4 weeks to check if its moved but I'm in with the consultant on Friday and they usually do a little scan by the bed so hopefully have more of an idea then.

I'm the same as you because its my first I don't know much different and we're very lucky to live within 10 mins of the hospital so I'm trying not to panic about the restrictions. Its awful hearing of so many women getting bad news alone 😞

Hi everyone.

Shelli, that's fab re: your discharge. You must be happy to have that behind you.

I am 29 weeks today and I am also huge. The PGP that was really bad in July is starting to creep back in again. I am finding myself increasingly challenged in my mobility. I will go to work this week and if it feels like too much I'll look to getting signed off the following week. I would use a lot of sick leave but I am so exhausted coming home everyday that I think it would be worth it.

I had a consultation on Tuesday where I found out that my GTT test was negative, but it was close to the line in some of the categories. She did a scan and said that the head and spine were measuring fine but that the stomach was measuring two weeks ahead. She proceeded to give me a lecture about my diet, etc. I was surprised because I have been making a very conscious effort with my diet all summer. I was very upset leaving the hospital. I went back yesterday to repeat my GTT and to have a repeat anatomy scan. The anatomy scan showed that actually the stomach - and everything else - was measuring totally normal. The sonographer said it was probably because the gyne/obs have inferior machines in their offices. I was relieved but also a bit annoyed because I had been so worried all week.

I haven't started packing a hospital bag yet, but I will also read the thread on here and come up with a list to make a start on. I've ordered some nighties online and we have already bought all of the big stuff for the baby. We put the co-sleeper together this morning. We're buying some nappies/sudocream/wipes/sleep suits, etc. with the shopping every week so I have a wardrobe that's completely bursting at this stage. I should really stop buying clothes, I know, but we're having a girl and everything is so damn cute.

I am also a bit anxious about restrictions on fathers. When I was waiting for the clinic to open for my repeat tests yesterday morning, I saw a woman going in to have her baby. She was waddling along with her partner who was holding her bags. Once they got to the door, a porter came and took the bags off the partner and he had to shuffle off back to his car while she went in for the early stages of labour. It really broke my heart looking at it.

I'm sure you're very relieved to hear everything is measuring normal but annoyed at being through the unnecessary worry last week!

We are the same with lots of clothes bought, we're having a boy and I can't pass all the Disney stuff in penneys we have a suitcase nearly filled! He's the first grandchild on my side too so being spoilt already!

I had a pregnancy massage today it was really relaxing I have to say and felt very safe covid wise, it was a nice treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭greenexile

Hi folks, FTM here and due at the very end of December. Does anyone know if you get one final scan if a public patient? I’m on the Domino scheme for the Rotunda but attend outpatient appointments in a local clinic. I was at the GP for my antenatal visit today and she seemed to think that only the heartbeat would be monitored and I’m due no more scans. Just would like to have one final look, so might pay for my own scan if this is the case. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

greenexile wrote: »
    Hi folks, FTM here and due at the very end of December. Does anyone know if you get one final scan if a public patient? I’m on the Domino scheme for the Rotunda but attend outpatient appointments in a local clinic. I was at the GP for my antenatal visit today and she seemed to think that only the heartbeat would be monitored and I’m due no more scans. Just would like to have one final look, so might pay for my own scan if this is the case. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

As far as I'm aware, if there's nothing unusual at 20wk scan there are no further follow up scans.
    That's how it was with my son, but that was 13 years ago, someone might confirm if that's been updated or is still the same?

I'm being scanned again at 34wks, but that's because they detected a couple big things that need following up.

I have a scan on Nov 3 and I'm due on Dec 12. Although I am not sure if that's standard practice or if it's because I have an anterior placenta.

Hi ladies, hope everyone is keeping well.

I had my 3d scan on Saturday, and it was worth every penny having my husband there with me. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't have bothered, but it made such a huge difference to him. I highly recommend it to anyone thinking about it.

On Saturday baby was head up in my ribs and placenta still sitting very low, just like all my previous scans.
    On Tuesday and Wednesday I was crippled with cramps, what I thought was a big or something I ate, but no vomiting or loose bowels, and it passed by Wednesday PM.
    I had my 32wk check today and consultant scanned me.......she has completely flipped and dragged placenta with her! Head is now down and placenta sitting nice and high out of the way. He says that's what the pain was.
    So it's looking likely I might avoid a section after all (they'll still monitor for size and other bits of course)

Im definitely going to pack my bags in the next few days. I'm super big and uncomfortable now.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 maisie_moo

Thefasteriwalk: no idea about scans I'm afraid. I had my last one at 20weeks. Would love another one just to see how much baby grown. I know my partner said he didnt mind not being there for the scans (first baby) but I wonder should I surprise him with a private scan appointment. I know he said that wasnt necessary in the past when my friends got them done. Does it have to be 3D or can you just do 2D (the ones like in the hospital)?

That's great news Shelli! Clever little girl you have in there :)

I'm 33weeks. Still working away. On feet all day. Exhausted. Heartburn. Must get different/stronger iron tablets. Reluctant to take anything for my heartburn even though I know it's ok.

Must look into antenatal and breastfeeding classes still. Midwife asked if I had my hospital bags packed the other day...clearly I just laughed. In work I'm super organised and everyone comments on it...but in my personal life not so much it seems haha. I'm a lastminute.com kind of person, work better under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

I don't think there is another scan after the 20 week one unless there is an issue.
    We went for a private scan about 16 weeks and it was totally worth for my husband, made it all real for him, so glad we did it.
    Re the antenatal classes, both the rotunda and coombe have videos online (have watched them both) and am signed up for a private one day course delivered online also. Yes, I need information, and I swear I'm not panicking, lol.

• Advertisement

maisie_moo wrote: »
    Thefasteriwalk: no idea about scans I'm afraid. I had my last one at 20weeks. Would love another one just to see how much baby grown. I know my partner said he didnt mind not being there for the scans (first baby) but I wonder should I surprise him with a private scan appointment. I know he said that wasnt necessary in the past when my friends got them done. Does it have to be 3D or can you just do 2D (the ones like in the hospital)?

That's great news Shelli! Clever little girl you have in there :)

I'm 33weeks. Still working away. On feet all day. Exhausted. Heartburn. Must get different/stronger iron tablets. Reluctant to take anything for my heartburn even though I know it's ok.

Must look into antenatal and breastfeeding classes still. Midwife asked if I had my hospital bags packed the other day...clearly I just laughed. In work I'm super organised and everyone comments on it...but in my personal life not so much it seems haha. I'm a lastminute.com kind of person, work better under pressure.

Loveheart sweets are supposed to be great for heartburn if you don't want to take meds...
    ..., I'm drinking Gaviscon like it's tea 🙈
    I get acid reflux rather than heartburn, I have to sleep propped up otherwise I wake with mouthfuls not acid bile. It's really unpleasant.

I packed my bag after posting yesterday, it wasn't as daunting as I thought.

Advertisement