Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Swimming spots

Options
  • 01-09-2020 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Moved to Galway over the past few months and looking to find a few swimming spots. I've been to Salthill but any other reccomendations for strands/beaches in and around the city would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Renville oranmore (not great mind you)
    Traught in Kinvara
    Loughrea Lake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Silverstrand for proximity to the city but honestly as Squeeonline said out by Dog's Bay is paradise on a sunny day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

If you're open to fresh water swimming, the river at the NUIG Sports Ground in Dangan is one of the cities nicest spots on a hot day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

xckjoo wrote: »
    If you're open to fresh water swimming, the river at the NUIG Sports Ground in Dangan is one of the cities nicest spots on a hot day.

It’s a lovely spot. Be aware the Corrib has strong currents and fast flowing water so only swim there if you are a strong, experienced, swimmer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Rusheen bay is a nice spot for swimming also - close to silverstrand but more sheltered. The water there is also a few degrees warmer in general because its one big tidal pool and sun warms it reasonably well.

It’s a lovely spot. Be aware the Corrib has strong currents and fast flowing water so only swim there if you are a strong, experienced, swimmer.
    Good point. It's worth checking the weir gates to see if they're open before swimming. If there's a big flow there you'll have a fast current at Dangan. If they're closed and it hasn't rained recently the river current will probably be gentle. Generally best to stick close to the river bank anyway and swim parallel to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭LostDuck

It also gets deep surprisingly quickly in parts so expect to be out of your depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 greenerie

Great suggestions, will try them all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

Are the canal and the corrib basin (Spanish arch square bit ? ) off limits or too dirty, I've never seen anyone in them ? I always thought the canal would be good for a swim and they used to do water polo in the other bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Notch000 wrote: »
    Are the canal and the corrib basin (Spanish arch square bit ? ) off limits or too dirty, I've never seen anyone in them ? I always thought the canal would be good for a swim and they used to do water polo in the other bit

I dont think they are the cleanest. Wind blows a lot of rubbish into them. Fire department often use the water from there too.

I dont think they are the cleanest. Wind blows a lot of rubbish into them. Fire department often use the water from there too.
    Ya the canals are filthy. Not maintained and low water flow so it's not very clean at all.

Not sure about the basin bit. Probably still filthy. On a side-note, who owns that space? Can anyone use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭timmyntc

xckjoo wrote: »
    Ya the canals are filthy. Not maintained and low water flow so it's not very clean at all.

Not sure about the basin bit. Probably still filthy. On a side-note, who owns that space? Can anyone use it?

0 flow in the basin. Stagnant as all hell, not to mention the piss and waste dumped in from people drinking around there.

Think it's GCCs - probably wouldnt let you swim there for insurance reasons, you'd contract some new kinds of diseases from the water there

Advertisement