Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rebdering Fat on Oxtails

• 31-08-2020 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

Just wondering whats the best way to render the fat on oxtails, before i put them into a casserole/stew/curry

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I haven't cooked with them but I'd imagine browning them in the pan first would render quite a bit of fat as well as adding flavour. Also, making the stew or curry a day ahead and letting it cool in the fridge would enable you to skim off a lot of the fat. You'd probably want to leave some for flavour though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I haven't cooked with them but I'd imagine browning them in the pan first would render quite a bit of fat as well as adding flavour. Also, making the stew or curry a day ahead and letting it cool in the fridge would enable you to skim off a lot of the fat. You'd probably want to leave some for flavour though.

I want the fat...Just would like to render as much fat as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

The amount of fat on oxtails is unreal but they are so tasty. I used to brown them on a hot frying pan and then cook them in my slow cooker. That rendered down the fat for me.

If you want to get the fat out before you place in the stew then I’d use the method I use for cooking duck breasts. Place the oxtails on a cold frying pan and fry on a medium/low heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Never dealt with oxtails, but I have got nice clear fat out of meat by using an airfryer on a low temperature. Just make sure the bottom is spotless if collecting it. I have also put meat in foil trays so it just collects in the tray, I take the regular basket out so there is more room.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I often cook tail.
    I've never seen the need to render any fat off - I just treat it as I would any other stewing meat - brown it well, then into the stew and then, if necessary, take some fat from the top of the stew when it's done.

I don't really understand what you are trying to do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement