Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

X does America on RTE

• 31-08-2020 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

Ugh, I have seen an advert for The Two Johnnies (?) do America.
    Why?
    This format has been done to death, off the top of my head I can remember Kevin McGahern and John Connors doing the same show in the last three years.
    Didn't Daniel and his misses just do a show about touring the US?
    And they always cover the same territory. Guns, race, etc.

Yawn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nutjobb

Maybe actually watch it before forming an opinion on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

nutjobb wrote: »
    Maybe actually watch it before forming an opinion on it...

It is a format that has been done to death at this stage. Do you really think they can bring something new to the table?

Do you think they can do a better job then Clive James, Billy Connelly or Stephen Fry?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Reason not to pay licence fee #612

Imagine paying for these clowns to go travelling!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Hector did it too. Assault rifles, rodeo etc.
    I think Kathryn Thomas did it as well.

It is worse on British telly, just about any celeb you can think of has done the America documentary.

It is worse on British telly, just about any celeb you can think of has done the America documentary.

I suppose it's great if you are a production company. You get paid to make the same show over and again. All that changes is the presenter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Several things can be guaranteed.

Their journey will be in one of those 1950s open top classic cars that no one in America actually drives anymore.

One or both will wear a cowboy hat.

Interviewees will consist of some gun nut militias, black gospel choir, strippers, legalise marijuana types, visit to a prison, country n western singer etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Hector did it too. Assault rifles, rodeo etc.
    I think Kathryn Thomas did it as well.

Marty Morrissey and yer man off the radio too.... so original!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nutjobb

I'm not sure, I am glad to see them get a chance on TV though. I don't watch much TV but I do listen to their podcast going to work and do get a laugh from it.

I do agree somewhat about the format though, as in everything we do these days seems to be influenced heavily from the yanks.

Several things can be guaranteed.

Their journey will be in one of those 1950s open top classic cars that no one in America actually drives anymore.

One or both will wear a cowboy hat.

Interviewees will consist of some gun nut militias, black gospel choir, strippers, legalise marijuana types, visit to a prison, country n western singer etc.
    You forgot the Elvis impersonator, maybe a whole convention of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,842 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Johnnies can be funny, culchie funny :P

• Advertisement

nutjobb wrote: »
    I do agree somewhat about the format though, as in everything we do these days seems to be influenced heavily from the yanks.

I don't know who they are. They might be great. But my whole point is that this format is done to death.

Something I noticed about this format: they nearly always start in New York and travel through the country to finish in LA.
    They always spend a really short amount of time in both those places, the majority of their trip seems to be spent in the southern states.
    All the weird and interesting stuff seems to go on down south. East and west coasts are boring.

Marty Morrissey and yer man off the radio too.... so original!

I forgot about that one.

The same show, every year for FIVE years.

2020 The Two Johnnies
    2019 Daniel O Donnell and his wife.
    2018 Marty and yer man from the radio
    2017 John Connors
    2016 Kevin McGaharn

Can anyone think of any more.

Did John Creddon do a show travelling around the US?

Has Francis Brennan or Dermot Bannon done any (yet)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭brian_t

Murphy's America.

I forgot about that one.

2020 The Two Johnnies
    2017 John Connors
    2016 Kevin McGaharn

PJ Gallagher in his Jake Steven's guise (Makin Jake, it was terrible) 2007

Murphy's America, late 70s, been repeated a few times. Very watchable as you might expect from Mike Murphy. His series on Australia was very good too.

There was a show on TG4 pre Hector circa 2000, cant remember name. Cute girl with short hair. Was ok.

Did Vogue do something?

Theres a new one on BBC, the comedian wan with the glasses from Bake Off. Promo naturally has her firing an assault rifle.

Theres a new one on BBC, the comedian wan with the glasses from Bake Off. Promo naturally has her firing an assault rifle.
    Jo Brand?
    They changed it up a while ago by sending two people together: Sean Locke and John Richardson, Ronnie O'Sullivan and his friend.
    The latest thing is a father and son: Bradley Walsh, Martin Kemp.

I forgot about Ozzy and Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There was a few US holiday prizes on Late Late Show where it appeared they had flown over Irish 'celebrities' to appear in the promo video for the prize.

• Advertisement

Jo Brand?
    They changed it up a while ago by sending two people together: Sean Locke and John Richardson, Ronnie O'Sullivan and his friend.
    The latest thing is a father and son: Bradley Walsh, Martin Kemp.

No the thin lesbian one.

Sue Perkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I forgot about that one.

2020 The Two Johnnies
    2017 John Connors
    2016 Kevin McGaharn

This will reveal my age somewhat, but in the interests of accuracy, it has to be done.

The original of the species, on RTE TV was .... Mike Murphy.
    'Murphy's America' first aired in 1978 on the newly launched RTE 2 TV channel. It was repeated for nostalgic value in 2007.

Details here -

http://www.superannrte.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2937:murphys-america-take-two-2937&catid=52&Itemid=106

This was before the name change when we then ended up with RTE 1 with no RTE 2, and Network 2 with no Network 1.

When the bold Mike headed off stateside it was the most exciting development on Irish TV since Gaybo married Ms Watkins.

Karl Pilkington travelling around America was one of the better ones.
    The people he met almost made him look normal and balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

Nice to see RTE are taking the advice from last year and cutting their cloth...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I wouldnt be getting too worked up about it lads, plenty of other things to watch. Having said that I'll probably give it a watch as the 2 lads are gas.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I wouldnt be getting too worked up about it lads, plenty of other things to watch. Having said that I'll probably give it a watch as the 2 lads are gas.

It was a bit of craic

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭technocrat

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    It was a bit of craic

Thought it was surprisingly good.

Not as scripted as similar shows and refreshingly funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Wow, how did anyone think that was going to be a good show. Paddywhackery at its most embarrassing. Unfunny people doing uninteresting things in America. Tick all the boxes for RTE. Absolute scutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

"claaaaasss"

"deadlyyyy"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The Podcast is very good and they do some really good interviews on it but they just don't really work on TV. This was pretty awful, just very cringe and been done to death loads of times before, probably would have worked better as 5 minute episodes on YouTube or Instagram etc

The voice over script/narration is awful too, was hoping it would have been for better

Advertisement