Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Something is not quite right with that...

• 19-07-2020 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

we have a thread for local and foreign bargains, there is another for overpriced cars in main motors, so should we have one for adverts of cars that "just don't add up"?

I'll start - a 1988 E220 ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭porridge365

Its 1988.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i know nothing about MB but wiki says "The "E-Class" name first appeared in with the facelifted W124 in 1993 for the model year 1994 (the W124 was introduced in 1984 but continued with the older naming convention until 1993, when all Mercedes-Benz models switched to a new system, e.g. E 320 instead of 300 E)" so it may not be 1988

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Probably one for the 'best skangermobiles' thread if it's still going

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Its 1988.

thanks yes, I fixed it.

Actually if it was a 1998 it maybe could be an E220 - but a 1988 one wouldn't !

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Looks like it's a 200E according to the engine capacity recorded when the car was imported (1997cc), it's about the only thing that spa of a clerk got right. It's down as a Mercedes Benz UNKNOWN :rolleyes:

Possibly just a 200, without fuel injection!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

My question to him would be.."deadly car..did ya take the pictures yourself bud..."...........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dallara

My Mercedes 280 SLC is down as a 1972 (model only appeared in 1976) and is down as having 18 horsepower on log book... among numerous other inaccuracies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Dallara wrote: »
    My Mercedes 280 SLC is down as a 1972 (model only appeared in 1976) and is down as having 18 horsepower on log book...

At a guess I would say that is tax horsepower, RAC horsepower (or something similar) was used in Ireland until 1977 when motor tax was abolished, before being subsequently introduced again :rolleyes:. It's a calculation based on the bore and number of cylinders.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I think the formula used was

125 cc = 1 HP

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it was actually something different from RAC horsepower and found this:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1958/si/13/made/en/print
    For the purpose of any rate of duty specified in the Schedule to the Act of 1952, the horsepower of any vehicle deriving its motive power wholly from an internal combustion engine shall be taken to be the cylinder capacity of the engine of the vehicle calculated in accordance with the provisions of this article divided by 125.

Though for Dallara's 280 SLC that should mean it's 22 tax horsepower, not 18... maybe whoever originally registered it knew someone in the tax office ;)
    Or maybe the reg was re-used from a 1972 car, and they didn't bother updating the details? Is it an original Irish car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I met an R129 locally on ZV plates recently, and I thought it looked a bit odd.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

At a guess I would say that is tax horsepower, RAC horsepower (or something similar) was used in Ireland until 1977 when motor tax was abolished, before being subsequently introduced again :rolleyes:. It's a calculation based on the bore and number of cylinders.

Indeed, hence the Wolseley badging e.g. 15/50.

15 taxable, 50 actual iirc.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

galwaytt wrote: »
    Could be legit if it's a very early one but just wrong looking.

galwaytt wrote: »

yep, the very earliest ones are now coming over 30 - although there has been one knocking around Dublin for years on a ZV already.

I agree ZV is all wrong for a post 87 car.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    yep, the very earliest ones are now coming over 30 - although there has been one knocking around Dublin for years on a ZV already.

I agree ZV is all wrong for a post 87 car.

Do you mean the preproduction 1972 SL in Churchtown?

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Do you mean the preproduction 1972 SL in Churchtown?

There is an R129 in churchtown on ZV plates for years but I doubt its 1972 thats very pre! :)

RobAMerc wrote: »
    There is an R129 in churchtown on ZV plates for years but I doubt its 1972 thats very pre! :)

Tongue in cheek comment :p

The plate goes back to a 1972 SL............which the car clearly isn't

Advertisement