Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards GS - Captains Prize - Dromoland Castle 12th September 2020 - 12:00

Options
  • 30-08-2020 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭

So, after a very short turn-around, Captain's Day is finally upon us. This has not been the year I had hoped for really, with cancellations of events, and multiple reschedules.

We've arrived at our third venue for Captain's, and to be honest, its a great one. Dromoland Castle (https://www.dromoland.ie/golf/) is a super venue and a testing course. There's a great mix of holes, with some excellent risk-reward driveable par 4s for the brave. There is a driving range on site for those looking for a warm-up

We have our first tee from 12:00, and space for up to 36 golfers. I looked online and it should be a about a 2hr drive max for almost everyone. The Teamer invite should go out shortly. Please accept ASAP, we'll have to do a fair bit of planning for this one. The Green Fee on the day will be €50

To note, the clubhouse is quite small and is tight here. When I spoke to them on the team in Dromoland, they said that there could potentially be non-golfers using the clubhouse, as they've been hosting some small family groups for late communions and confirmations. As such, if you are planning to eat, you should ring ahead and make a table booking in the clubhouse.

Recycled has suggested we maybe look at Treacy's Oakwood Hotel which is very near Dromoland as a potential alternative for food. According to Google its an 11 minute drive.

I'm going to contact both & see what options we have available to us, as I'd like to get an outdoor area, possibly with a little cover in case of the weather to do a presentation of the prizes, and announce the incoming Captain for next year. We won't really be able to do that in an indoor venue due to the limitations on groups indoors.

Hope to see you all there and catch up. I'm really looking forward to a round back in Dromoland

gg-golf-14.jpg

golf-07.jpg

gg-golf_detail_01.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭a post punk

Best of luck Space on your Captains Prize Day. I’m fairly peed off I can’t make this 1 with the date change. I am booked to play 3 courses in Sligo for the same weekend that we booked straight after lockdown. Typical Dromoland is only 50ish minutes away from me so would have been a great day out.
    Just to say thanks to Space for doing a great job so far this year with a tough year of changes and getting the head around organising everything. You really have to see behind the scenes to know the organisation that goes into 1 outing never mind the whole year of outings and this year all the changes!!So well done.
    I hope the weather gods play ball, only Benny can organise that 1:)
    PP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

The home of my first boards win cant wait for this.. congrats on everything space! I know its not easy.

Captain Fantastic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it as I am on holidays in Donegal. Enjoy the day and hopefully I will be able to attend the last event

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll be teeing off on the 1st in Enniscrone at pretty much the same time, so won't make this one unfortunately. Looks a real nice course though, so should be a great day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Snackbox20

Fantastic work yet again Space and really looking forward to playing this course. The last time I played there it flogged rain, so im treating the night before like the night before a wedding. The child of Prague and anything else that deters rain will be put out in the garden :-D :-D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Teamer messages have just been sent out now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Please note that Teamer states 11:00 tee time, but the first tee is from 12:00

Anyone with tee time preferences, please let us know on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Please note that Teamer states 11:00 tee time, but the first tee is from 12:00

Anyone with tee time preferences, please let us know on here.

I'll take early if its going.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rossyd2005

Great stuff Space, looking forward to it now after missing the events since Portmarknock. If possible can i get one of the latest slots please.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

I've to pull out of this one space. I've updated on Teamer

• Advertisement

pakman wrote: »
    I've to pull out of this one space. I've updated on Teamer

Interesting reason why on there pakman :D

Interesting reason why on there pakman :D

:D

Hi folks, all the rescheduling for this one has hit the numbers a bit relative to the number of slots we have available. Before I cancel the slots I thought I'd just put it out there that we are open to visitors and I'm happy to put up a visitors prize on the day if the numbers work.

So, if you're a Boards member who's not in the society and fancy giving it a try, or if you're a society member and want to bring someone along please let me know asap.

If you're on Teamer and haven't responded would appreciate a response, even a decline to things are a bit firmer.

Thanks guys. Looking forward to the weekend ahead and seeing you all there

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

How much is the green fee for visitors?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    How much is the green fee for visitors?

Will charge the same rate for this one, but they wont be able to win the main prizes.

Morning All,

Please see below the provisional timesheet for the weekend. As you can see we have 1 slot free currently, so 1 extra will give us a rounded out 24.

Tee Time|Player 1|HCP|Player 2|HCP|Player 3|HCP|Player 4|HCP
    12:00|Slave1|11|Princess Poppy|18|Paulos53|10
    12:12|Woodyg|22|Doublecross|6|Benny79|18|Rickis Tache|15
    12:24|Alanm|6|Seve OB|11|Kieran.|16|Athlone99|23
    12:36|CharlieIRL|21|Brian Rossiter|11|OffalyMedic|12|Break80|14
    12:48|OnTheSod|18|Ballyk|16|Tigerwood1|18|Golfnut203|4
    13:00|Spacecoyote|8|Rossyd2005|9|The Big Easy|19|Snackbox20|16

I've included in the society handicaps for the outing. If this differs from your GUI, can you please update me ASAP. To note, you need to have your €30 membership fee paid up to be eligible for the main competition prizes.

Again, if there are any preferences on early/late tee times, send a message in here.

Will set up an outing WhatsApp for updates and add everyone to it. As has been mentioned, please keep using the thread here for outing discussions for visibility.

I'm going to ring and reserve some tables today in the clubhouse for food and will update again with details.

Revised Timesheet attached below

Tee Time|Player 1|HCP|Player 2|HCP|Player 3|HCP|Player 4|HCP
    12:00|Slave1|11|Benny79|18|Paulos53|10
    12:12|CharlieIRL|21|Doublecross|6|Princess Poppy|18
    12:24|Alanm|6|Seve OB|11|Kieran.|17|Rickis Tache|15
    12:36|Woodyg|22|Brian Rossiter|11|OffalyMedic|12|Break80|14
    12:48|OnTheSod|18|Ballyk|16|Tigerwood1|18|Golfnut203|4
    13:00|Spacecoyote|8|Rossyd2005|9|The Big Easy|19|Snackbox20|16

Looking forward to it guys.

been looking at some videos of the course. looks like some of it is quite open and forgiving and other areas nice and wet :)

will be nice to tick another course, i must be getting close to 300 now, will have to redo my list

can't wait for saturday now

benny, any chance you are doing a weather dance for us?

Seve OB wrote: »
    benny, any chance you are doing a weather dance for us?

Looking OK at the moment Seve

525910.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

It's a lovely course Seve, one of Doublecross' favourites if memory serves. Have a case of golfer's elbow that is slowly easing, but couldn't miss space's Captain's after the year that's been, really looking forward to it now.

I have a picture from our game here last year before Captain's in Dooks, I'll upload it now.

• Advertisement

•There is a practice putting green in Dromoland beside the first tee. There is also a driving range onsite at the Academy

•I will confirm the tee box tomorrow and update accordingly. Tried to ring this evening, but couldn't get hold of anyone in the Pro Shop

•Be ready at the first tee for your tee time. Please do not arrive on the box on top of the group ahead of you, in order to ensure that social distancing is maintained. Adhere to the time gaps on the first tee to keep adequate distance between groups.

•Your place on the course is behind the group in front, not ahead of the group behind, so please try and keep to a decent pace of play. We're out on a new course, playing in a mix of 3 & 4-balls. There are 12 minute gaps will hopefully help on that front. Please do everything in your own power minimise any delays

•The Society plays "Ready Golf". This means that you don't need to observe who has the honour on each tee box. If you're ready to hit, get up & do so. It keeps things flowing. Follow a similar approach across the whole course. If you're a yard ahead on the fairway, but you can play & your partner can't, go ahead & play your shot. We're a friendly (but competitive) society, not playing on the PGA Tour.

•If in doubt, shout "FORE"

•If in doubt, hit a provisional ball off the tee. Better to have a ball out there & not need it rather than hike back to the tee box/original spot

•You have 3 minutes to find a lost ball from the time you arrive at the spot you believe it to be. For playing partners, if someone is searching and you're in a position to hit your ball, can you please hit first before helping your partners search. Again, this keeps things flowing

•If you've scratched a hole, pick up the ball. Do not continue to play until you've holed out. It can slow things down considerably. For reference, once you've hit a net double-bogey, that's a scratch

•Nearest the Pin will be the 7th hole. For the "nearest the pin" hole, your first tee shot has to be on the green to be eligible. If you see 1 name on the sheet and they're closer than you, put down your measure, as if someone wins another prize, we will give 2nd closest the prize.

•Longest Drive will be on the 12th Hole. Similarly, for the "Longest Drive" hole, your first drive must be on the Fairway to qualify. If you're a touch short, and there's only one name on the board stick your name & how much further back you were from the leader & you may pick up the prize.

•Everyone sent a screenshot to me of their scorecards for doing up scoring at the end of their round rather than handing up scorecards for checking. Can we please do the same. Preferably send them directly to me, not to the group, so we can try keep the winners announcement till the end. In particular given its the Captain's prize it would be good to keep a bit of tension (I know its practically impossible to do this :D)

•We're living in Covid world now, so please adhere to social distancing guidelines. Stay 2m from your playing partners. Don't shake hands before or after the round.

•Do not touch/remove the flagsticks

•Bunkers are in play, you can place the ball within 6 inches, no closer to the hole, without smoothing the sand first. Please smooth out the sand as best you can with your shoe/club after you have played your shot.

•There is food available in the clubhouse afterwards. There are 6 tables reserved, 1 per group. Please, if you are eating, eat with your designated four, to adhere to social distancing regulations.

•Just to note in terms of Prizes for Captains Day. We will have the following:

Prize
    Captains Prize
    2nd
    3rd
    4th
    Front 9
    Back 9
    Long Drive
    Nearest the Pin
    Most Golf
    Past Captains Prize
    Visitors Prize
    A Couple of Pick Outs

So there are plenty of opportunities

**PLEASE NOTE** to be eligible to win the Captains Prize, you need to be a fully paid up member of the society, and to have played a minimum of 2 events, excluding the Captains day

•Finally, I'm looking forwards to seeing you all there, happy golfing!

I think I've covered most things, but happy for any further suggestions or info people want to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Rainbow Warrior

Sorry I can't make your Captain's Day, Space, but as I said on Teamer its my daughters 18th Birthday this weekend so I'm sure you can understand why I can't make it. I hope you and everybody attending have a great day and see you at the next outing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

What's the "most golf" prize? Is that whoever took the most shots in the society this year?

Sorry I can't make your Captain's Day, Space, but as I said on Teamer its my daughters 18th Birthday this weekend so I'm sure you can understand why I can't make it. I hope you and everybody attending have a great day and see you at the next outing!

No problem Rainbow Warrior, completely understandable. The enforced date change caught a few people out

blue note wrote: »
    What's the "most golf" prize? Is that whoever took the most shots in the society this year?

Worst score on the day for Most Golf. I think it's a decent prize for it

Worst score on the day for Most Golf. I think it's a decent prize for it

Is it better than the prize for past captains?

I might have to just play terrible :p

Then again I might have to play savage for the third Saturday in a row to complete a hat trick of trophies:D

Seve OB wrote: »
    Is it better than the prize for past captains?

I might have to just play terrible :p

Then again I might have to play savage for the third Saturday in a row to complete a hat trick of trophies:D

Definitely not better than the past Captains. When I say decent, I mean decent relative to the standard of golf :D

Definitely not better than the past Captains. When I say decent, I mean decent relative to the standard of golf :D

Way hay....... must be the booby prize again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭doublecross

It's a lovely course Seve, one of Doublecross' favourites if memory serves. Have a case of golfer's elbow that is slowly easing, but couldn't miss space's Captain's after the year that's been, really looking forward to it now.

I have a picture from our game here last year before Captain's in Dooks, I'll upload it now.

I've a dose of tennis elbow myself. Killing me on back swing. Anti inflamatories should get me through the day.
    Dromoland is my favourite parkland, great mix of holes. For all the times I've played it I've yet to play to my handicap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭doublecross

Something came up and I've to spin to cork saturday morning. I should be back for tee time but small chance I'll be late.

Advertisement