Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Classic car VRT

• 26-08-2020 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,
    Question Is i have started restoring a car in my garage last month, thing is the car I have has been in the country from England since 2006, but not declared. I brought it in back then but paid nothing, just left it in a garage.
    I know there are penalties after 3 month/6 months, but do the penalties accumulate? Is it a once off payment? Am I goosed or looking at a huge fee? Is there a way round it? Like I just brought it from a garage in Belfast kinda thing, tell them nothing?
    Cheers in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Quicktwo wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Question Is i have started restoring a car in my garage last month, thing is the car I have has been in the country from England since 2006, but not declared. I brought it in back then but paid nothing, just left it in a garage.
    I know there are penalties after 3 month/6 months, but do the penalties accumulate? Is it a once off payment? Am I goosed or looking at a huge fee? Is there a way round it? Like I just brought it from a garage in Belfast kinda thing, tell them nothing?
    Cheers in advance

Are you sure this isn't a car you bought in the North the other day??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Depending on what you brought in, could be money owing
    plus vat, plus penalties.
    So what did you bring in

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Quicktwo

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Are you sure this isn't a car you bought in the North the other day??

That’s what I’m thinking

kadman wrote: »
    Depending on what you brought in, could be money owing
    plus vat, plus penalties.
    So what did you bring in

71 karmann ghia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

They might do a check on the last change of ownership and last MOT and use that as a reference on when the car came in. The onus is on you but it all depends on who you get on the day

• Advertisement

w124man wrote: »
    They might do a check on the last change of ownership and last MOT and use that as a reference on when the car came in. The onus is on you but it all depends on who you get on the day

It’s originally an American car, with a salvage title. Never registered on British soil either, a ghost ghia ðŸ™

It’s originally an American car, with a salvage title. Never registered on British soil either, a ghost ghia ðŸ™

Will the salvage title affect it for insurance. And will the
    salvage title class follow its history.??

kadman wrote: »
    Will the salvage title affect it for insurance. And will the
    slavage title class follow its history.??

I have no idea what to do, structurally the car is very sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I've bought a resto project in the UK and the thoughts now of trailering it to the NCT centre are giving me the heebeejeebees

I have no idea what to do, structurally the car is very sound.

I think salvage title relates to some form of damage that has been written off for insurance purposes, as not being financially viable to repair.
    Car may well be structurally ok.

I know UK insurance categories of ABCD ect relate to the type of accident damage.

Some categories of UK damage, are not insurable in Ireland, so if there is an issue, it needs to be understood.

I went to buy a Merc recently that had been categorised by a UK insurance company, and only after muydue diligence here, I discovered it was not insurable.

Just wondering is there a possibilty this can happen in your case,.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

I've bought a resto project in the UK and the thoughts now of trailering it to the NCT centre are giving me the heebeejeebees

No point unless its a runner

w124man wrote: »
    No point unless its a runner

The salvage title is American, so that can go missing. Is there anything stopping me trailering to the VRT guys and say I bought it in Tipperary yesterday, I got no paperwork with it?

The salvage title is American, so that can go missing. Is there anything stopping me trailering to the VRT guys and say I bought it in Tipperary yesterday, I got no paperwork with it?

Salvage title is an insurance designated category, and given the global position of insurance companies, I assume that the car info crosses national borders.
    It does from the UK as I went to buy a UK regged car that was currently insured in Ireland, and found it marked with a category designation that did not allow it to be insured here.

But I did the due diligence and checked it out before I went to purchase.
    Unfortunately the current owner did not, and she could not sell it.
    But continued to drive it anyway:eek:

Personally I know nothing about US salvage title, except what I have read on the net.But if I had one I would like to know how serious the category it was classed in is.

https://www.caranddriver.com/research/a31268448/can-a-salvage-title-car-be-insured/
    You cannot get insurance for a salvage title car. Salvage title cars are declared a "total loss" by an insurance company, so you can't register them, drive them on public roads, or get insurance for them. You can, however, get insurance coverage for a former salvage title car that has a rebuilt title, but you must provide proof that your car is in good enough condition to be on the road.

Advertisement