Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID boredom with life not changing.

• 29-08-2020 3:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭

Right now everyday seems the same...im sick of not meeting new people and of not having spontaneous things happen.

Everything is so planned regulated.
    Yes im wearing masks handwashing etc ...

Anyone else same?

IM BORED!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I can still,hike,fish, surf random wild Atlantic way drive's,eat out, walk a dog, visit heritage sites, astronomy etc

I suppose my lifestyle was the same before covid so it's not really any different.

But if I was a lush on yokes and banger and no night life is be off my head with withdrawals.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Hey vibes

Surely boards meets the spontaneous requirement! Though new people - maybe not so much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

nthclare wrote: »

But if I was a lush on yokes and banger and no night life is be off my head with withdrawals.
    am finally getting my cumuppppppanceeenene:(

gozunda wrote: »
    Hey vibes

Surely boards meets the spontaneous requirement! Though new people - maybe not so much :D
    spontaneously hugs you

I think though ...even if you go hiking ....life cannot twist right now ...or it feels it can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I can’t say that my like is much different. The “advantage” of having small children ... my life was already boring.

I think though ...even if you go hiking ....life cannot twist right now ...or it feels it can't.

I'm off the hooch and drug's since 2003 and I'm 45 now, so luckily Covid wasn't around years ago.

Because I'd be out there organising covid house party's and I could end up anywhere.

I hope you adapt sooner rather than later, I can see where you're coming from though.
    I'm living in the thick of the Burren beside a valley full of rocks and interspersed with limestone plateau and grikes so it's easy for me to do what I like...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I'd be the opposite, to be honest - I kinda dread the possibility of returning to the frankly insane way we were all living before. Rush everywhere and all the time, rat race in the morning, run to make the train on time, crowds everywhere, queue for a cr@ppy sandwich at lunch, endless meetings just so a few people can strike their egos, rush for a crowded train again, people pushing, people who hadn't seen a shower in days (even if they're "associate director" somewhere), waste a minimum of two hours a day to come and go to a job that has no on site presence whatsoever. Pointless social events, again crowds everywhere - queue for the bar, queue for the toilette, "oh you're not coming? why?" justifications. Nah, thank you.

Now I get up one hour later - check the emails. All going well, take a shower and make some coffee. Sit the morning meeting(s) depending on the day, and they last the allotted time - people don't like to argue about pointless minutiae over webcam. Prepare some lunch, or go out for some exercise (I've taken back to leisure cycling for the first time since childhood) depending on day/weather. Back to work, get stuff out of the way with the advantage of having nobody chatting, gossiping, eating takeout, preparing disgusting yogurt shakes that smell like old sweaty clothes, farting and whatever you can imagine all around me.

Finish work and 30 seconds later I can do whatever I want - I've rekindled a lot of my hobbies that had been laying dormant because, frankly, when I finally got home all I wanted to do was eat crap and crash out. I'm going through my long standing queue of model kits builds, advancing some personal coding projects, exercising more regularly (mostly on my own but even the gym is more tolerable with the limited number of people and booking systems - it's not anymore a fetid, humid, disgusting inferno filled to the brim with 'roidheads, posers and instagram divas) and even keeping the apartment in absolutely spotless condition - mopping the floor or cleaning the bathtub isn't as aggravating when you didn't waste a significant portion of your day travelling on a train you'd rather not board to a place you needn't be.

There are VITAL lessons for society to learn from this, but all the signs point to most of us not getting the message AT ALL.

Before we know, we'll all be back rat racing, commuting, rushing everywhere. People sneezing and coughing, dragging themselves to work when they should call out sick and be in bed. Complaining about the traffic, the crowded bus, that girl in the office who's headphone is so loud you can hear her music, that guy who cycles 30km to work at Tour-De-France pace and refuses to take a shower.

And don't get me started about when the blabbering about global warming, road deaths and whatnot, and "what solutions could possibly be put in place?" will inevitably restart. Although it might turn funny, really - IF mankind ever makes it to a more illuminated state of mind, the future historians will look at the post-2020 pandemic phase and wonder if the virus might not have had some undetected side effects, causing people to lose short-term memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Right now everyday seems the same...im sick of not meeting new people and of not having spontaneous things happen.

Anyone else same?

IM BORED!
    Yeah, bit bored with it myself too...same old same old...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,700 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's shıt.

Managed fine for a while, but now it's excruciating boring with no end in sight. Can't even get off this fûckin island to escape either. Same, or worse, elsewhere.

Really can't understand people who are happier with it. If you weren't happy before why didn't you drop out of the rat race?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

First proper mini rave of the summer tonight, if I get arrested for being at an illegal party or die from Covid I don't really give a crap..beats rotting away in this twilight zone our overlords have created.

First proper mini rave of the summer tonight, if I get arrested for being at an illegal party or die from Covid I don't really give a crap..beats rotting away in this twilight zone our overlords have created.

Will that be a proper rave with early 90's classics not the ****e we hear nowadays, real rave music went from 1989 until around 1994 ?

Beats rotting away in this twilight zone should be...Bass bins, rocking away from twilight to daylight.

'Watch your bass bin's I'm telling ya"

Do you remember that line ?

Altern 8 infiltrate 202

Yea proper old school, everything read to roll, just hoping the lasers don't give the game away...:D

Youth of today would do well to look back at the early 90's and do what we did, all that crap with illegal partys, BPM couldn't be at 120, anything more than 8 people was an illegel rave, Guards chasing us through bogs...did we follow the public health advice back then...:rolleyes:

I'm meant to be back in work next week. I've spent over five months this year chilling at home with only some bits of work to do on a website I have. Not great for the bank balance but great for everything else. I'd be happy for it to never end.

If ye can't enjoy time off in your 30s and 40s, I hope ye aren't looking forward to retirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

I'm meant to be back in work next week. I've spent five months this chilling at home with only some bits of work to do on a small website I have. Not great for the bank balance but great for everything else. I'd be happy for it to never end.

Teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm with you OP

If I was 25 years younger I'd have gone stone mad months ago.

As a youth and young man I loved going out, socializing, hanging around with big groups of people, going to concerts or sports events, spontaneously deciding to go away for a weekend.

I'm almost 50 now, married, settled down with kids so it doesn't affect me as much, if at all.

If I was young the idea that I would have to book a table, pay at least €9 for a meal and be gone in less than two hours just to go to the pub would certainly send me down the house party route.

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Teacher?

Yeah, but in Vietnam. I've only worked some of January, May, and June.

I wouldn’t agree personally, it’s been a very positive thing for me. Much prefer full time WFH, more time with family, no traffic or commuting, no expectation to be going places or doing things all the time etc. I was actually a little sad when the full strict lockdown ended, I enjoyed it (leaving aside worries about the virus etc). I wouldn’t mind another strict lockdown to be honest.

I miss the pubs and a few other things but once the off-licences are open it’s not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

Its funny, I would like a return to normality just for the social element of it but not much else. Everything is slower paced now and I kinda like it. Full lockdown was easier than this in-between though, people were always on zoom calls having the craic but as soon as restrictions reduced that died of a bit. Stuck in a limbo at the moment but I dread the return of traffic and people being in a hurry for everything again

Yea proper old school, everything read to roll, just hoping the lasers don't give the game away...:D

Youth of today would do well to look back at the early 90's and do what we did, all that crap with illegal partys, BPM couldn't be at 120, anything more than 8 people was an illegel rave, Guards chasing us through bogs...did we follow the public health advice back then...:rolleyes:

Did we fck follow health rules lol
    I used to go to the raves back in East Clare in the 90's there's a lot of new age travellers who moved over from England and brought their gear with them, huge systems...

Happy day's, I'm retired now lol

• Advertisement

Same here we had the Lion during the summer, crazy times.....
    I wonder how lockdown went in Feakle or did they even notice : )

I am not bored at all. Boredom isn't something I would ever be. I do agree with the lack of spontaneity though. Things need to be given more thought and planning and it can be anxiety inducing. We are having two friends over tonight but my first thought was 'I hope none of us are asymptomatic'. That's really sad.
    A man jumped back from me in a queue last Wednesday and was all apologies. That's really sad too.

So while buses may be less busy and the rush may be diminished there will be a huge negative outcome on society because of Covid. People will be afraid, suspicious, our connectedness will struggle. It was taking a battering already sure. 'X looked at me twice' 'Y had the nerve to speak to me' 'don't sit beside me'.

I've never experienced life as being a rat race or in a constant state of go go go. That's down to my attitude really. I go where I need to go enjoying all the moments on the way. If the Luas was packed I'll wait for the next one. Be grand.
    Traffic is an awful pain in the bum but I have Spotify coming out of a UE Boom on the passenger seat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭LostDuck

Really can't understand people who are happier with it. If you weren't happy before why didn't you drop out of the rat race?

Because the rat race was the only game in town if you had to pay mortgage, rent, save for a deposit etc.

Much better life now working from home. Go for morning exercise and breakfast in the garden when I would have been commuting. Prep dinner during lunch break, throw it on before finishing work and you're done and fed with a full evening to play with instead of commuting home. Get out into nature as much as possible.

Always hated shopping at busy times but it's a joy now that shops never get packed, happy to chill out in the queue for a few mins.

Gone from spending €200/mth on fuel to €30/mth.

Have meaningful meets with one or two instead of nights out with a crowd.

The old way was a frustrating life for introverts. The new way is frustrating for extroverts.

The only problem is the party-going extroverts are putting the health of everyone at risk now.

LostDuck wrote: »

The old way was a frustrating life for introverts. The new way is frustrating for extroverts.

The only problem is the party-going extroverts are putting the health of everyone at risk now.

Please spare a thought for us ambiverts :p

If normal run of the mill everyday life is frustrating then really something isn't right and that person should speak to someone. I also don't think such boxed off categories such as extrovert/introvert/ambivert take in to account the vastness of each individual.

It's a pandemic and we will all deal with it in our own way regardless of 'type'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

nthclare wrote: »
    Did we fck follow health rules lol
    I used to go to the raves back in East Clare in the 90's there's a lot of new age travellers who moved over from England and brought their gear with them, huge systems...

Happy day's, I'm retired now lol

They're still here. They never left - Just older and crustier!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,206 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have young children so life is never boring but I do think I would have found this period tough going if in my twenties.

I was also a bit sad when strict lockdown ended. We got to spend time with each other we never would have had.

That said I’d love to be going to the electric picnic this weekend too.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Anyone else same?

IM BORED!

I totally understand.
    I was just saying to a friend yesterday that you quickly run out of things to even talk about now as the spontaneity and drama of life has been removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Please spare a thought for us ambiverts :p

If normal run of the mill everyday life is frustrating then really something isn't right and that person should speak to someone. I also don't think such boxed off categories such as extrovert/introvert/ambivert take in to account the vastness of each individual.

It's a pandemic and we will all deal with it in our own way regardless of 'type'.

So if some people find packed, sardine trains, mindless consumerism, environmental devastation, insane traffic congestion, sky high rents, gross inequality, homelessness, poor work/life balance and hyper competitiveness problematic, there's something wrong with them and not the society they're living in and they should get help?

gozunda wrote: »
    They're still here. They never left - Just older and crustier!

Lol I know, I see Will Softly hasn't stopped spinning the vinyl on the wheels of steel lol

• Advertisement

So if some people find packed, sardine trains, mindless consumerism, environmental devastation, insane traffic congestion, sky high rents, gross inequality, homelessness, poor work/life balance and hyper competitiveness problematic, there's something wrong with them and not the society they're living in and they should get help?

If a person is waking up every day experiencing frustration with their lives then they should look at that. Maybe there is something they can change to ease the frustration, if external factors are outside their control then perhaps something within themselves.

We have a choice with how we view and live in the world. I can wind myself in to knots being part of the daily grind or I can adapt my attitude.

Advertisement