Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This is how all houses should be built right now

• 27-08-2020 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭

Highly insulated, 7.5kwp PV, 170m deep geothermal heating (and cooling in summer!), 3 phase with 22kW AC car chargers, 5kWh home storage battery. These houses are probably near energy neutral including the car and they burn zero fuels and can stabilise the grid

At a cost? Of course, they mention they are about GBP20k more than a standard new house. A bargain imho...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DeclanD54

Yeah i watched this yesterday. Great idea and if builders weren't so greedy and actually tried to build homes of the future with customers in mind it might become reality everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

DeclanD54 wrote: »
    Yeah i watched this yesterday. Great idea and if builders weren't so greedy and actually tried to build homes of the future with customers in mind it might become reality everywhere.

Ah yes.

The legendary greedy builder - the Aunt Sally of taximen, whingers and pub bores. Almost as hateful as the evil landlord and the corrupt politician.

Where would we be without such wonderful (albeit fictictious) characters upon whom we can vent our collective spleen?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,222 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Ah yes.

The legendary greedy builder - the Aunt Sally of taximen, whingers and pub bores. Almost as hateful as the evil landlord and the corrupt politician.

Where would we be without such wonderful (albeit fictictious) characters upon whom we can vent our collective spleen?
    You forgot duh bankuurrz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

endacl wrote: »
    You forgot duh bankuurrz.

Indeed I did! I suppose an apology would be in order?

So sorry bankers - you're all terrible too. (And so is Sean Quinn.)

Wow some quick witty guys on here lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Joey321

@DeclanD54 agree with greedy builders, you cant get anything in this country done for an affordable price, as soon as the energy grants came out up goes the the price, as soon as the grant for electric car charger comes out, up goes the price, need I go on, try not to tar everyone with the same brush but its getting harder.

Yes i wasnt trying to attack all the builders but i was going from my own experience.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

This forum is intended for discussion of Renewable Energy Systems, by fellow users, and as a place to exchange tips and advice.

If you want to discuss ‘the state Ireland’ Be that builders or Others, please go elsewhere

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I am a bit suspicious of it being only 20k more than a convention build. Also cooling is not needed in Ireland. The cooling you can get from that system is very small. In the future the emissions of construction will be likely considered more so there will be much more timber frame. Personally I prefer block but I think it will decline for private housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Joey321 wrote: »
    @DeclanD54 agree with greedy builders, you cant get anything in this country done for an affordable price, as soon as the energy grants came out up goes the the price, as soon as the grant for electric car charger comes out, up goes the price, need I go on, try not to tar everyone with the same brush but its getting harder.

Trades men are not typically price gouging. There is a ton of costs to be borne out. We live in a extremely highly regulated country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Joey321

How do you explain everytime a grant is announced the price of the jobs jumps by the same amount,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement