Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Watching a cheap tag heuer aquaracer

Options
  • 23-08-2020 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi all, im watching a tag heuer aquaracer on adverts its up for €500.

Looks in good condition but its not running. No box or papers. Would it be worth a gamble?

http://www.adverts.ie/20596509

Also what websites would ye recommend for buying new and used watches?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Hi all, im watching a tag heuer aquaracer on adverts its up for €500.

Looks in good condition but its not running. No box or papers. Would it be worth a gamble?

http://www.adverts.ie/20596509

Also what websites would ye recommend for buying new and used watches?

I wouldn't bother with that if I was you. Lots of very nice quartz and automatic options out there for €500

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭banie01

He has the watch up for over 2months and says it's running perfectly that it just needs a battery.
    For the sake of a trip into a jeweller for a battery change and at most €20, yet he hasn't done it.

Leaking cells are thankfully a far rarer occurrence these days, but that lad has left the watch with its dead battery for however long!

If I was looking for a Tag, I'd be looking elsewhere tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

banie01 wrote: »
    He has the watch up for over 2months and says it's running perfectly that it just needs a battery.
    For the sake of a trip into a jeweller for a battery change and at most €20, yet he hasn't done it.

Leaking cells are thankfully a far rarer occurrence these days, but that lad has left the watch with its dead battery for however long!

If I was looking for a Tag, I'd be looking elsewhere tbh.

Exactly. It's the watch equivalent of "it'll fly the NCT".

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

Yeah im going to leave that tag where it is although i bought my 2000 series non runner, put in a battery and away it went kept great time sold it on ebay for a tidy profit

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yeah im going to leave that tag where it is although i bought my 2000 series non runner, put in a battery and away it went kept great time sold it on ebay for a tidy profit

Same could happen here. You need to ask yourself what's it worth if it is dead? What's the chance it is dead? How much is it worth if it works?

If it's worth just €100 if dead and worth €1000 if good with a 50-50 chance, then your worst case scenario on a €200 offer is a loss of €100. Best case scenario on same offer a profit of €800. Both minus your cost of fitting a battery. On the probabilities, you will be in the money.

I do this sort of thing with broken stuff all the time. Not with watches, mind. I make offers, usually way below the (imho unrealistic) asking price taking into account these scenarios. If my initial offer (or slightly higher after negotiation) is not accepted, no water off my back. If it is accepted, from there on in, it's my risk. If it works out, I make a tidy profit. If it doesn't work out, I make a loss

I do enjoy the fixing and I take pride in getting something destined for landfill back up and doing duty again.

• Advertisement

And you need to learn to ride your wave in the torrent that is adverts.ie :p

Linky

Ha ha thats hilarious

Not as hilarious as the private messages I am getting from the seller on the other deal I am trying to complete this evening :p

I find adverts great for the comments to be fair but it can be a double edged sword, i bought a car off a lad it had lots of issues, i bought it cheap and repaired it few months later i went to sell it and the very same lad set about my add commenting heaps of B.S to put off potential buyers

Advertisement