Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Munster vs CONNACHT match thread

• 28-08-2020 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

Munster:
    Shane Daly; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Damian de Allende, Keith Earls; JJ Hanrahan, Conor Murray; Jeremy Loughman, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Fineen Wycherley, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (C), Chris Cloete, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Liam O’Connor, Stephen Archer, Billy Holland, Jack O’Donoghue, Craig Casey, Rory Scannell, Jack O’Sullivan.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

EggKqYKVoAAVV3L?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭KBurke85

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Fixed your title Thomond. Careful now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Zzippy wrote: »
    Fixed your title Thomond. Careful now ;)

Zzippy hates FrEe SpEeCh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

I know interpros tend to be a bit tighter then the game on paper.

But Munster should tear that Connacht team apart.

Daly & Arnold Vs DdA & Farrell could be brutal.
    Poor Sammy used to struggle for size in Munsters centre against the big teams and now he could have the same problem against Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

For once Connacht pack (even on the bench) is as haevy as Munster's, should be interesting!

Papali'i/Oliver is experimental, if it goes well.... Same for T.Daly/C.DeBuitlear.

4 make or break. The rest is close to our best

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

connachta wrote: »
    For once Connacht pack (even on the bench) is as haevy as Munster's, shhould be interesting!

Papali'i/Oliver is experimental, if it goes well.... Same for T.Daly/C.DeBuitlear.

4 make or break. The rest is close to our best
    You are far too concerned with the weight of players. Bar a few exceptions a few kgs lighter isnt an issue.

Papali'i has been set up to fail. The mocker gods have only to read the Connacht team thread for more than enough reason...

You are far too concerned with the weight of players. Bar a few exceptions a few kgs lighter isnt an issue.

Munster dominated Connacht in the past because of that.

Even for centres, yeah DeA/Farell are monster, but Daly/Robb aren't shy either..

Papali'i has been set up to fail. The mocker gods have only to read the Connacht team thread for more than enough reason...

Papal'i will learn Stander what ball carrying means.
    Without doubt.
    The only concern is about lasting 60/80 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,951 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

munster are gonna whoop that connacht team...

the difference at the end of the game will depend on how quickly munster race to the TBP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭rayd3

Papal'i will learn Stander what ball carrying means.
    Without doubt.

Do you think there is any better ball carrier in world rugby than Papal’i fella? Do Billy V or Vermeulen come close?

With the complete retooling of the back five there are spots up for grabs. JOD and JOS will be itching for minutes.

rayd3 wrote: »
    Do you think there is any better ball carrier in world rugby than Papal’i fella? Do Billy V or Vermeulen come close?

Billy, maybe.. tight call:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Poor Sammy used to struggle for size in Munsters centre against the big teams and now he could have the same problem against Munster.

The same Sam Arnold who defended brilliantly against Nonu and Bastereud? He'll be fine.

The same Sam Arnold who defended brilliantly against Nonu and Bastereud? He'll be fine.

DeAllende+Farrell 204 Kg
    Daly+Arnold 201 Kg

Weight won't be an issue at least

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Arnold was never shy in defense, what a load of bull. He just didn't get a good injury free run at Munster, but you can never deny the kid had heart in spades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

First choice players bolded

v Ulster
    1. Denis Buckley
    2. Dave Heffernan
    3. Finlay Bealham
    4. Ultan Dillane
    5. Gavin Thornbury
    6. Eoghan Masterson
    7. Jarrad Butler
    8. Paul Boyle
    9. Kieran Marmion
    10. Jack Carty
    11. Alex Wootton
    12. Bundee Aki
    13. Tom Farrell
    14. Peter Sullivan
    15. John Porch (at 14)

v Munster
    1. McAllister
    2. Delahunt
    3. Robertson-McCoy
    4. Murray
    5. Roux
    6. E Masterson
    7. Oliver
    8. Papali'i
    9. Blade
    10. Fitzgerald
    11. Healy
    12. Daly
    13. Arnold
    14. De Buitlear
    15. TOH

Marmion/Blade and MacAllister/Buckley arguable. It makes sense to rotate and spread the gametime around, but I wonder what Friend's thinking was in selecting far more first choice players for the first fixture. Neither game had/has anything riding on it for Connacht as regards qualifying for anything.

It's a reasonably good team but their chances could be improved massively by having the quality of Aki and Farrell in the centre. I can see Munster making hay down Tom Daly's channell all day.

First choice players bolded

v Ulster
    1. Denis Buckley
    2. Dave Heffernan
    3. Finlay Bealham
    4. Ultan Dillane
    5. Gavin Thornbury
    6. Eoghan Masterson
    7. Jarrad Butler
    8. Paul Boyle
    9. Kieran Marmion
    10. Jack Carty
    11. Alex Wootton
    12. Bundee Aki
    13. Tom Farrell
    14. Peter Sullivan
    15. John Porch (at 14)

v Munster
    1. McAllister
    2. Delahunt
    3. Robertson-McCoy
    4. Murray
    5. Roux
    6. E Masterson
    7. Oliver
    8. Papali'i
    9. Blade
    10. Fitzgerald
    11. Healy
    12. Daly
    13. Arnold
    14. De Buitlear
    15. TOH

Marmion/Blade and MacAllister/Buckley arguable. It makes sense to rotate and spread the gametime around, but I wonder what Friend's thinking was in selecting far more first choice players for the first fixture. Neither game had/has anything riding on it for Connacht as regards qualifying for anything.

It's a reasonably good team but their chances could be improved massively by having the quality of Aki and Farrell in the centre. I can see Munster making hay down Tom Daly's channell all day.

1. McAllister
    2. Delahunt
    3. Robertson-McCoy
    4. Murray
    5. Roux
    6. E Masterson
    9. Blade
    10. Fitzgerald
    11. Healy
    13. Arnold
    15. TOH

Are all in contention for 1st choice spots
    Not even talking about unproven Papali'i

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It makes sense to rotate and spread the gametime around, but I wonder what Friend's thinking was in selecting far more first choice players for the first fixture. Neither game had/has anything riding on it for Connacht as regards qualifying for anything.

Probably an IRFU conspiracy. AMIRITE, Richie??

• Advertisement

aloooof wrote: »

The facts are there for everyone to look at. Draw your own conclusions.

I actually think some of the non-first choice players are quality and could step up - the likes of Oliver, Delahunt. And in some cases the second choices are nipping at the heels of the first choices - Blade, Robertson-McCoy. But there's no getting away from the fact that far more of the players who would be selected to start a must-win game were playing last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Glorified friendly is all this is. Only hope is that Connacht come out injury free and with some pride. That's quite a strong Munster team for a glorified friendly IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

aloooof wrote: »

IRFU clearly don’t hold any sway with Leinster :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

evil_seed wrote: »
    Glorified friendly is all this is. Only hope is that Connacht come out injury free and with some pride. That's quite a strong Munster team for a glorified friendly IMO

It won't be a glorified friendly for Munster if Scarlets win tomorrow. Although the bookies currently have Munster at -17, so they're not expecting much from Connacht.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

DeAllende+Farrell 204 Kg
    Daly+Arnold 201 Kg

Weight won't be an issue at least

I'm very skeptical of this statistic.

I'm very skeptical of this statistic.

from someone obsessed about weight as well....

Internet says:

Daly 106kg
    Arnold 95kg
    de Allende 101kg
    Farrell 110kg

Internet says:

Daly 106kg
    Arnold 95kg
    de Allende 101kg
    Farrell 110kg

according to ultimate rugby de allande is 103
    wiki says hes 105
    munster squad site says hes 105
    ESPN says hes 105

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Arnold was never shy in defense, what a load of bull. He just didn't get a good injury free run at Munster, but you can never deny the kid had heart in spades.

Never said he was shy in defence.
    It's more in attack he cannot impose himself against big opposition.

Against strong teams, can think of clear examples against Leinster & Sarries in the last season, Arnold would hit a line hard up off a lineout, get stopped easily behind the gainline and Munster lose possession due to the forwards having to work around to the ruck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Never said he was shy in defence.
    It's more in attack he cannot impose himself against big opposition.

Against strong teams, can think of clear examples against Leinster & Sarries in the last season, Arnold would hit a line hard up off a lineout, get stopped easily behind the gainline and Munster lose possession due to the forwards having to work around to the ruck.

Maybe Connacht will have the good sense not to try use him as a battering ram so.

Advertisement