Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PULSAR AXION KEY XM22 THERMAL IMAGER

• 21-06-2020 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭

Anyone got one of theses. Cost £870 sterling. Thermal vision is getting cheaper.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Anyone got one of theses. Cost £870 sterling. Thermal vision is getting cheaper.

I don’t but I’ve looked through one at a demonstration event organized by Sportsden a few months ago. Impressive piece of kit if you can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Never see any of the NV products at the game fair. What are the chances of it being held this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Over on airgunbbs there are a fair few Irish lads and they have held minor get togethers to showcase their own gear.
    Maybe a few would like to meet up here to show off their kit.

Analogue is the best because the gen1/2 tubes use next to no power and you can get weeks or more out of 1 set of batteries.

Digital is hard on batteries but the performance is very affordable.

Price difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭TombstoneT

Yes I got one recently. I have not used it much but it is great. Even during daytime I could pick out small birds in a bush or tree that were not visible otherwise.

• Advertisement

How far away can a fox be seen.

How far away can a fox be seen.

I have not yet seen a fox through it, but judging by what I did see, I reckon a fox could be recognized at a few hundred yards.

Let us know when you do see a fox through it. It might be worth a purchase. Nice to know the capabilities of the unit first.

Let us know when you do see a fox through it. It might be worth a purchase. Nice to know the capabilities of the unit first.
    I will get out sometime this week and also bring my range finder so hopefully I will have more definite info for you.

I went out yesterday morning and saw 2 foxes. One at 24yds ,the second at 79yds. I watched the second one through my Axion 22 and it was 100% obvious he was a fox. I hoped he would go a farther distance but I lost him in a ditch. For what it's worth, I looked at cows at 412yds and could plainly see what they were. Ok, the size difference is huge but if the cow was as small as a fox I would still have known what he was. The shape and the body movement will give away the identity of the animal so I am confident to say that a fox would be obvious at any safe shooting distance. I was also able to pick out crows and a magpie at 107yds. I hope this info helps some bit. I will get out again hopefully this week to try and get a more accurate result with the Axion 22. Till then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tikkamark

I know it’s not an axion but for what it’s worth I’ll fill you in on my experience of my thermal choice.....I like you was very keen on an axion purely because it was within the then budget but having researched for at least a year I was swayed towards a helion xq38 because because of a more rugged build quality excellent display and detection range and top notch battery.
    I have it about 6 months now and I can safely say it’s a complete game changer for my main persuit foxes,I have seen and clearly I’d a fox at over 1000y it will detect further than the best lamp in the world would even show eye shine.
    I’ve watched crows flying off in the distance further than I can see!
    It’s awesome for finding downed foxes very quickly too.
    It’s a lot of money but i saved and saved and I would safely say it’s worth every cent my only regret is not buying it sooner!

How do you use a tool such as this for finding and shooting foxs.

How do you use a tool such as this for finding and shooting foxs.
    It detects the heat of the animal to know where it is then I switch to the rifle mounted Nv for the shot

tikkamark wrote: »
    It detects the heat of the animal to know where it is then I switch to the rifle mounted Nv for the shot

I kind of knew that. Any other tactics that can be used to your advantage.

How good are thermal devices in long stemmy grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭borrisboy

I have the xm30 . Unreal bit of kit and I can identify a fox at three or four hundred yards easily enough .

borrisboy wrote: »
    I have the xm30 . Unreal bit of kit and I can identify a fox at three or four hundred yards easily enough .

Is there much to go wrong with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭borrisboy

I hope not . They are very simple to use .

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Damoeire33

Ive a xm30 up for sale in the for sale section if anyone is interested

How good are thermal devices in long stemmy grass.

They do detect heat In that situation enough that you would know something was there.You would see animals through hedges when the leaves are off too.They can also cut through fog very well too.
    For some reason a very humid night is the worst for viewing trees and general outlines wouldn’t be that well defined but body heat still glows.

• Advertisement

tikkamark wrote: »
    They do detect heat In that situation enough that you would know something was there.You would see animals through hedges when the leaves are off too.They can also cut through fog very well too.
    For some reason a very humid night is the worst for viewing trees and general outlines wouldn’t be that well defined but body heat still glows.

Probably not enough of a temperature differential.

TombstoneT wrote: »
    I will get out sometime this week and also bring my range finder so hopefully I will have more definite info for you.

Anymore information on the Pulsar Axion thermal.

Anymore information on the Pulsar Axion thermal.

Yes, I did not get out until last week so sorry for no update. My buddy and I went to a golf course at night. He had his .243 for foxes.I had my .22 air rifle. I had scope problems so I did not fire a shot but the buddy shot two foxes. The furthest ones we saw were probably 200yds. There was no doubt they were foxes even amongst the trees. The Pulsar was just great. The first was a gut shot at 150yds he ran away into the woods out of sight but we found him to finish him off very easily with the Pulsar. I was able to watch him being shot and when he ran his small intestine was hanging out and it actually showed up on the axion trailing behind him. I spent the night just watching the foxes and rabbits. I am very pleased with the Pulsar Axion 22 and would highly recommend it.

So how far do you think you would spot a fox. And battery life. How long is it good for.

Definitely 300yds. Battery life : 4hrs constant use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

TombstoneT wrote: »
    I have not yet seen a fox through it, but judging by what I did see, I reckon a fox could be recognized at a few hundred yards.

At the demo I was at one of the people from Sportsden walked down a field and was at least 200m away and a well defined silhouette was clearly visible through the rifle scopes as well as the spotting scope.

At the demo I was at one of the people from Sportsden walked down a field and was at least 200m away and a well defined silhouette was clearly visible through the rifle scopes as well as the spotting scope.

If you pushed it out how far would a fox be visible with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bud2000

If any one wants to have a look through axion xm30s I would be glad to show , very happy with mine I’m in Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

If you pushed it out how far would a fox be visible with it.

I'd say if you have the few quid thermal is the way to go.

I'm looking into it now. I've seen 0% apr finance on some models which would make it more affordable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭keith s

I'd say if you have the few quid thermal is the way to go.

I'm looking into it now. I've seen 0% apr finance on some models which would make it more affordable.

Any links?
    I like the idea of the built-in range finder.
    Thanks

Advertisement