Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guinness/Tulip glasses

• 27-08-2020 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Having a few people over this weekend (within guidelines!!) and I just realised the majority are Guinness drinkers and I have no “borrowed” pub glasses any more since I’m a grown up and moved into my own house during lockdown, no more rental property mish mash of glasses!

Does anyone know anywhere in south or west Dublin I could easily buy a handful of pint glasses for having somewhat drinkable cans of Guinness at home? I’d only want probably 4 so a bulk supplier is probably no good, just if anyone knows if any of the supermarkets stock them. I checked my local SuperValu and LIDL today but nothing. I know sometimes Guinness have sold a promo pack with a glass or two alongside an 8 or 12 pack but I haven’t seen them in a while.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I generally find Dunnes is the best for glassware, if you have a large one near you. Other wise try a big hardware or homewares shop in any of the retail parks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Charity shops tend to always have beer glasses. You find the odd interesting one in them too.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Second for Dunnes - I recently picked up some tulip pint glasses, 4 for €6 I think. No etchings in the bottom/widget thing so perfect for Guinness and other beers that don't like widgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Thanks everyone, got a tidy 4 pack in Dunnes Cornelscourt as suggested for €6

To add to this:

You need three things to maximise the cans potential and the most important is the glasses or the head just comes out weird.

I'd further add to try put the cans in the freezer for an hour from cold, get them extra cold as it keeps the head fresher for longer and the fridge doesnt seem to replicate the pub temp(it gets warm way faster).

And finally do the 180 degrees dump pour with the can close to the surface and pull it up as you go, dont touch the pint while it settles. It takes a good while to settle which what helps the head to get the bubbles out.

Literally the only time I've had bubbles doing the above was when I picked it up and moved it.

Doing the above you do get consistently good heads without bubbles and a nice cold, fresher taste for longer.

I've been drinking the cans at home for two months now and enjoying them far more since I started to do the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭Invincible

To add to this:

You need three things to maximise the cans potential and the most important is the glasses or the head just comes out weird.

I'd further add to try put the cans in the freezer for an hour from cold, get them extra cold as it keeps the head fresher for longer and the fridge doesnt seem to replicate the pub temp(it gets warm way faster).

And finally do the 180 degrees dump pour with the can close to the surface and pull it up as you go, dont touch the pint while it settles. It takes a good while to settle which what helps the head to get the bubbles out.

Literally the only time I've had bubbles doing the above was when I picked it up and moved it.

Doing the above you do get consistently good heads without bubbles and a nice cold, fresher taste for longer.

I've been drinking the cans at home for two months now and enjoying them far more since I started to do the above.

No harm to have the glasses in the fridge too!

Invincible wrote: »
    No harm to have the glasses in the fridge too!

I've never tried that but anything to get it extra cold is a bonus.

I forgot to add, wash and dry the glass after each can. I use two glasses and wash them after the second one (cutting down on cleaning).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The colder stout is, the less you can actually taste it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The colder stout is, the less you can actually taste it.

Not much to taste in a pint of Guinness anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,110 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

For me the most important is matching glass size to the liquid amount.

They were said to have spent millions on developing the can system. Do people honestly think that after all that effort the head engineers involved said that the perfect amount to fill a 568ml glass was to use 500ml of guinness!? not a fcuking hope, the shite looking heads from cans is proof enough. You see youtube videos where it looks reasonable enough BUT they do not show it settled, since when it does you have a massive head.

Get what you consider a perfect pint from a pub and let it go flat and measure it properly, there is no way its only 500ml gone into that pint glass.

Pour a half inch of guinness into your glass first and then try a can ontop, you have to get the amount right for the glass (many unmarked ones are not 568ml). When I get a nice head it looks like its going to overflow the glass, looks like a very thin head but as it settles it grows into a perfect size for me. A proper dome on the top sitting above the rim of the glass, when the dome is formed it seems to cling and compress the head and makes it nice and thick & creamy.

Unlike these youtubers who aggressively pour the can and think its great as it reached the top of the glass, but its manky airy foam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Use the wrong glass, they will love that.

2013-08-24+11.07.24.jpg

or Ikea are the cheapest

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/lodraet-beer-glass-clear-glass-50209337/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

RasTa wrote: »
    Use the wrong glass, they will love that.

2013-08-24+11.07.24.jpg

or Ikea are the cheapest

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/lodraet-beer-glass-clear-glass-50209337/

The one on the right look better.

It does not matter what glass it comes in.
    Its Guinness, a mass produced stout, every can tastes the same, or at least they should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Mr Price in Northwood in Dublin are selling Budweiser new design pint glasses for 99 cent each... not on the website as I just checked but my housemate picked me up a couple there a couple of days ago...

Obscenely good value as they aren’t the pub use excess..actually quite heavy nicely designed glassware.

Here is the only pic I can find as strangely not on their site...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71gc4XygwHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,850 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Jesus, that carpet! :eek:

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement