Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GamesCom 2020 (August 27-30)

• 25-08-2020 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭

Official Site

Geoff Keighley will be hosting the first show of the event, Opening Night Live. ONL will have gameplay footage from the new Ratchet and Clank, as well as the usual trailers, announcements, surprises etc. The two hour long show will supposedly feature 38 games. There'll be various other shows over the three days too, including a presentation dedicated to indies.

Hopefully there'll be some nice reveals, although I've given up hope on seeing anything Elden Ring-related in 2020. :(:o

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Would love some concrete news on the Hollow Knight followup, Silksong; not been much from Team Cherry bar the odd screenshot here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The following have all been confirmed to appear in some capacity during the Opening Night Live show;

Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods
    Fall Guys Season 2
    Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
    Destiny 2: Beyond Light
    World of Warcraft: Shadowlands
    Mafia: Definitive Edition
    Star Wars: Squadrons
    Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond
    Little Nightmares 2
    Spellbreak
    Age of Empires III Definitive Edition
    Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

First Ive heard of a new Medal of Honour game. Will this be this years "yearly Battlefield-like game from EA" game?

Also AoE3 HD....never played the original but heard its not that bad, just had one of the hardest acts to follow in AoE2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    First Ive heard of a new Medal of Honour game. Will this be this years "yearly Battlefield-like game from EA" game?

Its a VR game so I highly doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Advertisement

Damn it. I just got my hopes up for Elden Ring news after seeing both Bandai Namco and Activision there. Damn it to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I think that Bioware video was meant to follow something else, the last thing we saw didn't show much for Dragon age but in this they'd VA with new character ( as far as I know) and not anything else like we should know something about them already.

Don't have much faith in Bioware in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Cool to see another Sam and Max game in the works....pity it looks to be a VR one(have no headset myself). Geoff Keighley is absolutely dead behind the eyes though, he just stands there with a permanent grin that is unnerving. He has to be as they ain't showing much but concept stuff.

• Advertisement

Twelve Minutes, now with added Willem Dafoe (and Daisy Ridley and James McAvoy).

Nice one for the vids Eoin! I can only dip in and out of the stream so at least i can just watch them all back on this thread later.

Lemnis Gate looked interesting to me. Turn-based strategy FPS in a time-loop!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

R&C was about the only game I was interested in from what I've seen. And that means thinking on a Ps5 ... hmmm, maybe when it drops in price sometime in 2022

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Was interested in the Medal of Honor VR game, graphically it wasn't great but the mechanics and gameplay looked fun. Alas it doesn't look like it will be available for the Index so that's ruled it out.

Star Wars Squadron might be good and that will work with my VR headset, but I think I'll hold off until the review comes in before deciding.

Not overly interested in Lego Star Wars but I have to admit the trailer had alot of charm.

As I mentioned else where on this forum I'm really digging Doom Eternal's gameplay so I'm looking forward to the expansion.

Mafia, well I really enjoyed the original many years ago. Not sure how well it holds up. Again will hold off until reviews and player opinions are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Think there might be a bit more in Mafia than just a remaster, it was shown in the trailer and they've some DLC skins for linking accounts but there's motorbikes in this unlike the original.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mediocre show

• Registered Users Posts: 23,103 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Fúck all of interest for me there. Crash and that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well this isn't creepy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,103 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I stand corrected. I loved Little Nightmares.

There's going to be a complete remake of 1999 city builder, Pharaoh.

And there was another (fairly shite) cinematic trailer for Werewolf: The Apocalypse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,818 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Mediocre show
    J. Marston wrote: »
    Fúck all of interest for me there. Crash and that's about it.

Same, Dragon Age 4 is the only thing I'm interested in but most of the Bioware staff that made the excellent Dragon Age: Origins game are gone by now. Their last two releases have been laughing stocks.

Just saw some Gamescom award winners, Cyberpunk = best rpg, tony hawk = best sport and xbox x = best upcoming tech. Are all the awards for upcoming stuff or did 2 games not even out yet win awards four games already out?

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Just saw some Gamescom award winners, Cyberpunk = best rpg, tony hawk = best sport and xbox x = best upcoming tech. Are all the awards for upcoming stuff or did 2 games not even out yet win awards four games already out?

Yeah noticed it during the first night, games not even out were winning awards. Just looking at the full nominees, majority have not been released yet.
    These are the nominees for the gamescom awards 2020:

The winners of the following genre and platform categories will be revealed during gamescom: Opening Night Live on August 27 from 8:00 p.m.

Best Action Adventure Game
    – Grounded, Microsoft
    – The Medium, Bloober Team
    – Watch Dogs Legion, Ubisoft

Best Action Game
    – Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Ubisoft
    – Cyberpunk 2077, CD Projekt RED
    – Star Wars: Squadrons, Electronic Arts

Best Indie Game
    – Cris Tales, Modus Games
    – Curious Expedition 2, Maschinen-Mensch
    – The Medium, Bloober Team

Best Microsoft Xbox Game
    – Grounded, Microsoft
    – Tell Me Why, Microsoft

Best Multiplayer Game
    – Dual Universe, Novaquark Montreal
    – NBA 2K21, 2K
    – Operation: Tango, Clever Plays

Best Nintendo Switch Game
    – Black Book, Hypetrain Digital
    – Figment: Creed Valley, Bedtime Digital Games
    – Little Nightmares 2, Bandai Namco Entertainment

Best Sony Playstation Game
    – Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Ubisoft
    – Crash Bandicoot 4: It’s About Time, Activision

The winners of the following genre and platform categories will be revealed during the gamescom: Best Of Show on August 30 from 8:00 p.m.

Best Family Game
    – Ary and the Secret of Seasons, Modus Games
    – Crash Bandicoot 4: It’s About Time, Activision
    – KeyWe, Stonewheat & Sons

Best Ongoing Game
    – Borderlands 3, 2K
    – Call of Duty: Modern Warfare/Warzone, Activision
    – World of Tanks, Wargaming

Best PC Game
    – Humankind, Amplitude Studios & SEGA Europe
    – Tell Me Why, Microsoft

Best Racing Game
    – DIRT 5, Codemasters
    – Project CARS 3, Bandai Namco Entertainment
    – Radical Relocation, Iceberg Interactive

Best Remaster
    – Mafia: Definitive Edition, 2K
    – Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2, Activision
    – XIII: Remake, astragon Entertainment

Best Role-Playing Game
    – Cris Tales, Modus Games
    – Gamedec, Anshar Studios

Best Simulation
    – Endzone – A World Apart, Assemble Entertainment
    – Planet Coaster Console Edition, Frontier Development
    – Project CARS 3, Bandai Namco Entertainment

Best Sports Game
    – FIFA 21, Electronic Arts
    – NBA 2K21, 2K
    – Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2, Activision

Best Strategy Game
    – Endzone – A World Apart, Assemble Entertainment
    – Humankind, Amplitude Studios & SEGA Europe
    – Iron Harvest, King Art Games

Most Original Game
    – Operation: Tango, Clever Plays
    – Voidtrain, Hypetrain Digital

The winners of the following consumer awards and the winners of the gamescom global Awards will also be revealed during the gamescom: Best Of Show.

Best Announcement
    – The jury will make its selection from all the game announcements, premieres and reveals presented during gamescom by the event’s partners.

Best Lineup
    – The jury will make its selection from all the gamescom partners.

Best of gamescom
    – The jury will choose the winner of the main prize, Best of gamescom, from all the category winners of the genre and platform categories.

Best Presentation / Trailer
    – The jury will make its selection from all the game presentations and trailers unveiled on gamescom now.

Best Show
    – gamescom fans will choose the winner from selected live streams, shows and gamescom specials.

Best Streamer
    – gamescom fans will make their selection from the gamescom 2020-accredited streamers.

gamescom “Most Wanted”
    – gamescom fans will make their selection from the nominees for all the genre and platform categories (see above).

HEART OF GAMING Award
    The winner of the HEART OF GAMING Award is chosen by the jury entirely at its discretion. Considered for the award are not only games, expansions, products, technologies and similar, but also persons, organizations, companies, concepts and terms.

• Advertisement

Well that's just ****ing bizarre.

Advertisement