Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WRC and other rallying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Oops! wrote: »
    He was always going to be the bench mark in Alba, I'd say he was well aware he needed a big performance there.

I’d guess it was one he wanted to win alright. To beat Sordo on tar is never easy though. The MRF ERC campaign is going to be hard to judge their pace vs the others. I’d like to see him get a full WRC campaign with Hyundai.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

He's there because MRF are paying well... There won't be any major results expected. It's testing compounds he'll be doing and gathering data.

There range is woeful at the moment.... But at least they are trying.

Sordo is hanging onto a top seat along time now! He's picking and choosing his drives these days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭kksaints

There is European Rally Championship highlights on TG4 atm

WooHoo WRC is back. Breen and Nagle are on it too this morning. Fingers crossed for a good result for them.

A really enjoyable Rally Estonia. A big congrats to Breen and Nagle who finished a really impressive second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mjhickeyie

h3000 wrote: »
    A really enjoyable Rally Estonia. A big congrats to Breen and Nagle who finished a really impressive second.

Fantastic result for them. Hyundai really seemed to have got there car right for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Pudsey64

Highlights on ITV4 Wednesday night. 9.30pm

Pudsey64 wrote: »
    Highlights on ITV4 Wednesday night. 9.30pm

I’ve the WRC+ All Live subscription for the last few years. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Jayzuz it’s one dramatic rally in Turkey this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,964 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Loeb looks like he never left.

• Advertisement

Loeb looks like he never left.

46 years old, S1600, 2ltr WR cars, first gen 1600 WR cars, new gen WR cars and still at the sharp end of things 20 years later all with Daniel Elena beside him.... Their record speaks for it's self.... The greatest of all time and a long time before the likes of them are seen again.

Definitely the most successful of all time, and in the argument for GOAT without question, but he did it at a time when rally was at it's lowest point. No big money investments, and manufacturers pulling out left and right. Citreon stayed the course, and they/he reaped the rewards. Would love to have seen him drive during the eras of Tommi Mäkinen or Juha Kankkunen.

He still would likely have been a multiple time world champion, but not a hope of nine in a row.

Ogier the same, but he has won championships for Volkswagen and Ford.

Definitely the most successful of all time, and in the argument for GOAT without question, but he did it at a time when rally was at it's lowest point. No big money investments, and manufacturers pulling out left and right. Citreon stayed the course, and they/he reaped the rewards. Would love to have seen him drive during the eras of Tommi Mäkinen or Juha Kankkunen.

He still would likely have been a multiple time world champion, but not a hope of nine in a row.

Ogier the same, but he has won championships for Volkswagen and Ford.

I don't know about that. Loeb's consistency was incredible even more so than his pace. In 2006 and 2007 Marcus Gronholm was as fast if not slightly faster than Loeb but he just seemed to make one too many errors and Loeb was always there to pick up the pieces. For all Makinen and Kankkunen's greatness they always made a lot more errors throughout the season that Loeb would have punished unlike other drivers at the time.

It's an argument that will unfortunately never be settled. I do think if Loeb was racing during Mäkinen's four year reign, in a competitive car, it would not have been a four year reign.

He's in my top three with Mäkinen and Kankkunen.

It's an argument that will unfortunately never be settled. I do think if Loeb was racing during Mäkinen's four year reign, in a competitive car, it would not have been a four year reign.

He's in my top three with Mäkinen and Kankkunen.

It's impossible to know but for me Loeb is the greatest and by a fair bit even if at the time I was hoping Gronholm or Hirvonen would beat him.

TOYOTA TAKES CHARGE OF WRC PROGRAMME FROM 2021
    wrc.com wrote:
    The Japanese manufacturer announced on Tuesday morning that Toyota Gazoo Racing Europe, will take full responsibility for the company’s activities, with Mäkinen stepping aside.

The Finn, who has run Toyota’s WRC programme since the company returned to the sport in 2017, will take on a role as motorsport advisor to Toyota Motor Corporation from January next year.

The WRC team will continue to be run from Mäkinen’s two bases in Finland and Estonia, which Toyota has acquired.
    https://www.wrc.com/en/news/season-2020/wrc/toyota-takes-charge-of-wrc-programme-from-2021/

I wonder will there be much changes seen from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 JMR46

TOYOTA TAKES CHARGE OF WRC PROGRAMME FROM 2021

I wonder will there be much changes seen from this.

Looks like Makinen basically has cashed in and sold his business to Toyota. Smart move at this point I think.

I'd imagine he will still be heavily involved but obviously not the team boss, looks like that will go to Kaj Lindström who was sporting director I believe before this.

Seems a bit clouded in mystery and you'd have to wonder what the relationship is like between Makinen and Toyota now. Maybe we are reading too much into it

Quiet possible that this was the plan all along since Toyota's return. Thanks very much Tommy, we'll take things from here.....

Toyota have a history of learning and then doing this sort of thing.... Didn't work too well in F1 but i suppose that's a different ball game.

Akio and Tommy seem to have a good relationship.... Akio likes his motorsport.

Tommy still has TMR so hasn't really sold everything up.

I see on the news (sorry I can't post the link as a new user)

Loeb bows out of the WRC (again) on a high with a nice dig at Citroen :)
    “For me, Hyundai Motorsport gave me the best WRC car I have ever driven"

Should give more seat time to Craig Breen at Hyundai all going well. Confirmed this morning that he will be in the 3rd car in Ypres so that's good news

JMR46 wrote: »
    I see on the news (sorry I can't post the link as a new user)

Loeb bows out of the WRC (again) on a high with a nice dig at Citroen :)
    “For me, Hyundai Motorsport gave me the best WRC car I have ever driven"

Should give more seat time to Craig Breen at Hyundai all going well. Confirmed this morning that he will be in the 3rd car in Ypres so that's good news

Breen confirmed for Ypres
    https://www.wrc.com/en/news/season-2020/wrc/breen-receives-hyundai-nod-for-ypres/?fbclid=IwAR2HB5qfv8NFbvfURqG6YTCQzJoLlM82jg3OSUFBAJMKpSglkDJMkhDWbc8

Loeb off to Dakar again
    https://www.wrc.com/en/news/season-2020/wrc/loeb-open-to-hyundai-return/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭masit

Loeb off to drive for Prodrive. 9 other WRC champions have drove for Prodive, can you name the 9?

masit wrote: »
    Loeb off to drive for Prodrive. 9 other WRC champions have drove for Prodive, can you name the 9?

McRae, Burns, Solberg, Vatanen, Gronholm, Makinen. And now I need to think some more.

McRae, Burns, Solberg, Vatanen, Gronholm, Makinen. And now I need to think some more.

How could I forget Kankkunen and Sainz

How could I forget Kankkunen and Sainz

Didn't Auriol drive on one event in 1996, Sweden maybe?
    It was the year Toyota were banned so he was left without a drive

That would make it 9

JMR46 wrote: »
    Didn't Auriol drive on one event in 1996, Sweden maybe?
    It was the year Toyota were banned so he was left without a drive

That would make it 9

Possibly actually. I couldn't think of the ninth one.

Possibly actually. I couldn't think of the ninth one.

https://www.facebook.com/prodriveofficial/posts/4002308299799113

Turns out there was actually 12, they themselves forgot a few. Including Gronholm in an S14 in 2009 Portugal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

On a more local note, the Ravens Rock rally is to go ahead next weekend in Tipperary, great to see a club able to put an event together, this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭jelutong

They shouldn’t be going ahead with running it in my opinion.
    It’s supposed to be a no spectator event according to the club.
    The stage locations are common knowledge so you’ll have hundreds if not thousands of people coming to see the rally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

jelutong wrote: »
    They shouldn’t be going ahead with running it in my opinion.
    It’s supposed to be a no spectator event according to the club.
    The stage locations are common knowledge so you’ll have hundreds if not thousands of people coming to see the rally.

no rally book out, no starter list , stage locations i dont know.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

It's cancelled

Advertisement