Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Top 50 holes in Irish golf

• 27-08-2020 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

I see The Indo have a list of top 50 holes in Irish golf. Anyone have a link to article?

What are you're top 3?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Par 3 - 16th Royal Portrush
    Par 4 - 8th Royal County Down
    Par 5 - 13th Carne

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

The article is a premium one so you have to pay :(

Par 3: 16th Carne (or the 7th on new configuration)
    Par 4: 16th Enniscrone
    Par 5: 12th Old Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

It'll be a cold day in hell before I pay to read something on the Indo......some of the dung they expect people to subscribe for.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

7 European
    13 Druids Glen
    16 Portmarnock Links

• Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

1st in athlone
    13th in athlone
    16th in athlone

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

2nd portstewart
    2nd portsalon
    7th glashedy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭blackwhite

13th Druids Glen
    17th Co Sligo
    13th Mount Juliet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I see our 4th in Grange is there, it wouldn't make my Top 3 on the course.
    Personally 18, 11th and long dogleg par 4 on new holes I would rate ahead of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Interesting list, some unusual calls I think

The 17th in Tralee, I wouldn’t even think it’s in the Top 3 holes in Tralee

Same with 15th in Lee Valley

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Can anyone do the decent thing and post the holes here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

benji79 wrote: »
    Interesting list, some unusual calls I think

The 17th in Tralee, I wouldn’t even think it’s in the Top 3 holes in Tralee

Same with 15th in Lee Valley

That’s some joke if 17 is in it.

2,3,8,11,12,13,15,16 all better than it at least

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

That’s some joke if 17 is in it.

2,3,8,11,12,13,15,16 all better than it at least

Without a doubt. It’s a nice hole but there’s a few more on the course a level above it. After playing 16th you’d consider the 17th a handier chance of grabbing a par most days

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

Ballybunion 11th
    Carne 7th (old 16th)
    Old Head 4

Probably a lot of recency bias there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

I see Headfort New 10th made the list. Cracker of a hole in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

4th in corballis made the list.
    It's a lovely hole, especially when the pin is tucked at the back right. Not sure I'd have it ahead of the 3rd which is a brilliant golf hole

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

It's a great hole. Only about 90m in length but there's still a case to be made for playing short. Going left or right can result in a big score. Going long possibly too.

The 3rd hole can be at times too hard. Into the wind from the blues it's simply not a par 4.

I hear the 13th from tramore made it in too. It's a score wrecker of a hole. Trees along the left so you can't start your drive too far left. And there's a steam cutting across the fairway from right to left, so the further right you go from the tee the closer it gets. The prevailing wind is into you and it's fairly long from the blues, so you'll need a bit of distance from your tee shot. In other words, if you play an iron from the tee you might be leaving yourself a long approach for your second which is not a good idea.

The steam cuts the other way going into the green. So now the further right you go with your approach the more it comes into play. If you aim left with your approach you risk going into a nasty big bunker. And coming out of that the green slopes back into the stream in case you overhit your bunker shot.

For me it's easily the toughest hole on the course even though the next is index 1. That said, the percentage of birdies and pars I've had on that hole is high for me for a par 4. But the percentage of doubles and more I've had on it is really high.

I'd love to see the whole list even though these things are utter nonsense. I'm certainly not paying for it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

blue note wrote: »
    It's a great hole. Only about 90m in length but there's still a case to be made for playing short. Going left or right can result in a big score. Going long possibly too.

The 3rd hole can be at times too hard. Into the wind from the blues it's simply not a par 4.

I hear the 13th from tramore made it in too. It's a score wrecker of a hole. Trees along the left so you can't start your drive too far left. And there's a steam cutting across the fairway from right to left, so the further right you go from the tee the closer it gets. The prevailing wind is into you and it's fairly long from the blues, so you'll need a bit of distance from your tee shot. In other words, if you play an iron from the tee you might be leaving yourself a long approach for your second which is not a good idea.

The steam cuts the other way going into the green. So now the further right you go with your approach the more it comes into play. If you aim left with your approach you risk going into a nasty big bunker. And coming out of that the green slopes back into the stream in case you overhit your bunker shot.

For me it's easily the toughest hole on the course even though the next is index 1. That said, the percentage of birdies and pars I've had on that hole is high for me for a par 4. But the percentage of doubles and more I've had on it is really high.

I'd love to see the whole list even though these things are utter nonsense. I'm certainly not paying for it though!

Good description of the hole. I never played it but could almost visualise it. Sounds like a certain hole in Druids Glen. Maybe its 13th also coincidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Skyfloater

It's very easy for this to drift into a list of the 50 toughest holes in Irish golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Luckycharm wrote: »
    I see our 4th in Grange is there, it wouldn't make my Top 3 on the course.
    Personally 18, 11th and long dogleg par 4 on new holes I would rate ahead of it.

And the photo used is from some time circa 1985 I reckon!

Is all very parochial and subjective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

Skyfloater wrote: »
    It's very easy for this to drift into a list of the 50 toughest holes in Irish golf.

The one included for Corballis is often the easiest on the course. It's just that you could be playing in a fourball and it wouldn't be unusual for the group to have a birdie, 2 pars and a triple!

You are right though that often people equate hard with good and they're related, but not the same thing. I'd say generally speaking on a really great hole you want a good score to be achievable, but something you're part relieved and part proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

I think for a hole to be considered best it should be tough in a sporting sense. It should reward and punish fairly in equal measure. The 4th you can really neutralise the hole by playing short left.

The third while tough is the exceptional hole on the course for my money. Demands way more thought and bloody good execution to make par. Especially on a winters Sunday morning into the wind.

I'd even put 6 ahead of 4 from the par 3s. And the par 4 5th is also a really great hole

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

4th in Corballis is a gem... my be skewed by having a hole in one on it.

But can't see how it made top 18 tbh. I haven't seen the list but I assume they've ranked it as one of the top 4 best par 3's in the country. Nah.

Advertisement