Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virtual Reality General Discussion / Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,619 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I see very little to no new quest games coming out, the library seems very sparse and no loads on the horizon. Am i missing something or is this a concern. Oculus link not an option as I have no PC that could power it

Oculus are picky about what games are getting on the system, which in a way is a good thing as Steam VR is piled high with shovelware, but also means it's harder for small-scale devs to get accepted (which is what Sidequest is for).

I think the library is gradually getting larger, but obviously it's a gradual process, though saying that you can get all the Go library games now, some of which are great like Daedalus.

I actually got 10 new Quest games this week as a result of the "free Quest games if you own them on Go" thing.. so my library is filling up fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Interesting video on how VR can improve your own performance
    in games.

Part 2:

GTA V new mod out makes whole game playable in VR... looks like it was a good idea for me to hold off on picking GTA V in the past and I get to enjoy it first time in VR :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

mrcheez wrote: »

GTA V new mod out makes whole game playable in VR... looks like it was a good idea for me to hold off on picking GTA V in the past and I get to enjoy it first time in VR :pac:
    Afaik its only working on rift at the moment due to the way its built ..no vive compatibility yet
    GTA V is 15 quid on steam at the moment btw

Oddly enough the last VR game I played recently was Downstream :Vr Whitewater rafting , which is great , anyway it has ghost players to race against(as in race against their performance , and that youtuber was one of the random ones I got.

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Afaik its only working on rift at the moment due to the way its built ..no vive compatibility yet
    GTA V is 15 quid on steam at the moment btw

Oddly enough the last VR game I played recently was Downstream :Vr Whitewater rafting , which is great , anyway it has ghost players to race against(as in race against their performance , and that youtuber was one of the random ones I got.
    didn't get s chance to play GTA V yet in VR but got the online deluxe cer for 11 quid from cd keys

Must check out whitewater rafting!

• Advertisement

Nice... I mainly watch Virtual Reality Oasis, but will check him oot

Pistol Whip is out. I'm seriously considering getting this pronto!

I'm not too interested in the other beat rhythm games (I already have Beat Saber), but this is like Time Crisis meets Beat Saber.

Even IGN gave it a glowing review: https://ie.ign.com/articles/2019/11/08/pistol-whip-review

Quite possibly the worst kept secret about VR

https://twitter.com/valvesoftware/status/1196566870360387584?s=20

New Jeff Minter VR game

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1342740/Moose_Life/

Only €5.69 too... count me in

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

New Jeff Minter VR game

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1342740/Moose_Life/

Only €5.69 too... count me in

I'm going to have to wait for MooseLife to make it to PSVR, but it looks like it will be a while, Sony seem to take forever with their approval process.
    Sadly, my crummy PC won't run MooseLife, but I've bought it nevertheless, for the day when I have one that will, I'll always support Minter and his work.

From October 2020 onward, all new Oculus users will need to sign up via Facebook.

And from 2023 all existing Oculus accounts will be wiped and you'll need to sign in via Facebook.

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-facebook-account-required

Holy sh1tballs Batman!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

From October 2020 onward, all new Oculus users will need to sign up via Facebook.

And from 2023 all existing Oculus accounts will be wiped and you'll need to sign in via Facebook.

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-facebook-account-required

Holy sh1tballs Batman!

I think we all knew this was coming, dispite the promises. Think it's a very bad decision.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

I think we all knew this was coming, dispite the promises. Think it's a very bad decision.

I mean if I create a Facebook account, but only use it for logging into Oculus, it won't be too bad, but apparently they will ban accounts that aren't "social"???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Is there any further detail on what "social" means?

Tbh thats probably removed any chance id buy Oculus hardware again.

Thankfully now there are more options

I'd say all will become clear as it gets closer to OC7

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I mean if I create a Facebook account, but only use it for logging into Oculus, it won't be too bad, but apparently they will ban accounts that aren't "social"???

Apart from the ads from the US Republican party overlaying the games every 3 minutes you mean? :pac:

Apart from the ads from the US Republican party overlaying the games every 3 minutes you mean? :pac:

As long as they don't obscure more than 95% of the screen inducing seizure I'm all for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Ah I think I linked my account to FB whenever I registered originally (I'm just a fan of the single-sign-on and laziness to be fair) - honestly you wouldn't even notice. Feck it, most of these companies know what i'm up to these days, Amazon, Google, Whatsapp, it's all the same at the end of the day!

OC7 will be interesting...would be interested to see where they go with any new devices. What could a Quest 2 bring to the table?

• Advertisement

Shlippery wrote: »
    What could a Quest 2 bring to the table?

They've renamed OC7 to Facebook Connect, so this means that Facebook is going to treat VR as a core platform for all Facebook users.

Which is very good for VR, though it does mean that social integration will be embedded into the Quest 2's build.

So possibly something like facial expression tracking, and hand tracking will be core I would say.

The issue I'd have with the Facebook requirement is that they require you use your REAL identity when creating Facebook accounts now. I don't personally have a social media account (beyond Whatsapp) and deleted my Facebook account (which was under a fake name anyway) about 6 years ago. I'm careful about what I put on the internet for all to see under my real name, which is a good thing especially going forward as identity theft/abuse becomes more common.

I'd be OK creating an account in my business name though, as long as that's permitted, as only a select few would know what my business name is and I'd still be anonymous.

Yes it sounds a bit tin-foil hat alright, but maintaining control over your identity will become crucial in the future.

I don't like it but at the same time, I think mine is already linked. You'd never know anyways. If I think about my ex and her friends falling in love with Best Saber, and her friend buying a Quest for it, I can see why Facebook is thinking this won't be a big deal. Casual users who post on Facebook all the time anyways won't care.

On a separate note... Apple are apparently working on a VR/AR headset due for release in 2022.

First I've heard of it!

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/19/21296674/apple-vr-ar-headset-glasses-external-hub-jony-ive-bloomberg-go-read-this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Oculus are miles ahead of everyone else. The FB accusation was both a blessing and a curse, the good was obviously the huge injection of cash that brought us the Quest, and whatever the Quest 2 will bring to the table, but the bad is that it’s now in the hands of an incredibly intrusive corporation who will prioritise gathering data over advancing VR technology

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

When I purchased the rift CV1 it was based on the tech itself, the cost, and the touch controllers had just launched. Facebook ownership was a con but not a major issue really.

In the time since it's become clear that Oculus/FB are focussed on a closed VR ecosystem e.g. their tracking system is closed to third party use, the likes of the Revive mod is only tolerated (after they actively attempted to block it from working initially), and of course exclusives. I'm just not a fan of that direction although I appreciate their interest is in more than gaming.

The Rift is still a decent bit of kit but if/when i upgrade I imagine it'll be to something like the Index, mainly because Valve have a more open attitude to VR as a whole. Most of the titles I've purchased have been through Steam and that's explicitly down to how well Valve have developed/maintained official integration with the Oculus platform. And Alyx is a perfect example of how they openly support other platforms/headsets.

The HP Reverb G2 looks like the next one I might pick up... but my laptop isn't powerful enough for it so I might need an upgrade there too!

VR will hit mainstream if there's an Apple logo on it. People will buy it for the sake of it. But they'll have the most walled of walled gardens.

I had thought never to buy another Oculus app, but damn this does look tempting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Yep. Looks class.
    I need to get my virtual desktop set up ASAP.

• Advertisement

kerplun k wrote: »
    Yep. Looks class.
    I need to my virtual desktop set up ASAP.

Have you not played Alyx???

Advertisement