Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vintage VRT

• 26-08-2020 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I brought my 1990 Celica to be VRT’d, everything went fine and the woman told me the vehicle might need to be valued by revenue even thought I’d be paying the flat rate of 200, it just a common thing for classic cars being imported. My question is that something I have to contact Revenue about or will the VRT do that and then notify me.

Because the woman told me not even to book back in just bring the forms she gave me back to the nct centre and they’d finish the process. From the way she was talking it seemed to be something they’d do themselves but it’s been 2 weeks and I’ve heard nothing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Brianmwalker

Is the car definitely 30 years old ie registered before September 1990? If its a late 1990 reg you could be in for more than €200!

Edit have you paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ScubaSteve112

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Once its over 30 it doesnt matter how much its valued its the flat rate. I just brought all the documents in and got the forms there and then

I brought it in and they did the inspection but she said that some vintage cars need to be valued and that I’d have to come back once it’s been done to pay the 200.

Is the car definitely 30 years old ie registered before September 1990? If its a late 1990 reg you could be in for more than €200!

Edit have you paid?

The car is deffo over 30 it was registered originally in March of 1990, she mentioned it to me when doing the inspection that it might need to be valued by revenue and then I could pay the flat rate 200. It think it’s for their own system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

never heard of that - flat rate means.......but given the NCTS's propensity to extract as much cash from everyone as possible, I wouldnt be surprised what they get up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I brought my 1990 Celica to be VRT’d, everything went fine and the woman told me the vehicle might need to be valued by revenue even thought I’d be paying the flat rate of 200, it just a common thing for classic cars being imported. My question is that something I have to contact Revenue about or will the VRT do that and then notify me.

Because the woman told me not even to book back in just bring the forms she gave me back to the nct centre and they’d finish the process. From the way she was talking it seemed to be something they’d do themselves but it’s been 2 weeks and I’ve heard nothing.

Yeah, that happened to me once too. Can't remember which car it was but I was told that the VRO needed to contact Rosslare for a stat code despite knowing it would be flat rate anyway.
    I assume it's just that the specific model/spec isn't on the system yet.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that happened to me once too. Can't remember which car it was but I was told that the VRO needed to contact Rosslare for a stat code despite knowing it would be flat rate anyway.

Did they contact you when they got the code then? I’m just anxious is all because I’m just gone over the 30 days now of how long the cars been in the country. Half debating just going down Friday and trying to pay and see what they say again? Surely aswell I don’t need to bring the car back down when I’m paying?

Did they contact you when they got the code then? I’m just anxious is all because I’m just gone over the 30 days now of how long the cars been in the country. Half debating just going down Friday and trying to pay and see what they say again? Surely aswell I don’t need to bring the car back down when I’m paying?

I honestly can't remember, but I doubt it. It would do no harm to chase them on it - they won't chase you. If they looked at the car and noted the VIN etc. you shouldn't need to bring it back in.

I wouldn't worry about the 30 days thing, you did begin the process within that time so should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

I know of a few classics that were referred for valuation, the flat fee of 200 still applies so nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Hijacking this for a second.

Is there a "cooling off" period on VRT on the 30 year rule? Like, if the car was 30 years old today, and I buy it tomorrow, would the VRT folks say it's too close to being just past 30?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Is there a "cooling off" period on VRT on the 30 year rule? Like, if the car was 30 years old today, and I buy it tomorrow, would the VRT folks say it's too close to being just past 30?

No once the date on the book of first registered is 30 years old its grand say if it was 30 years ago today it was registered and you went in tommorow it would be fine as its book date.

No. I think you can even argue a manufacturing date if you can produce proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

is it the case that a Celica has to be referred in case it's a Jap import? Maybe they have to check the VAT etc situation

• Registered Users Posts: 64,753 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Nah, I've had it on the last classic I imported from the UK, a Mercedes. It seems some cases just get referred. It creates a wee delay and it requires an extra trip, but they contact you when it is sorted you just go back to the VRT office to pay your dues. I think it is more to do with some sort of classification / admin issue. Don't worry about it, it will get sorted and you will owe only the €200.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No. It's either 30 years old or it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

No. It's either 30 years old or it isn't.

Thanks lads. I assumed it was the case, but just needed to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

RobAMerc wrote: »
    ......but given the NCTS's propensity to extract as much cash from everyone as possible,

The NCT are only acting as agent for the Revenue Commissioners. The charges are nothing to do with them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wouldn't be surprised if Revenue want to know what they're "losing" on close to 30 year old vehicles, considering similar exemptions in other countries can be 40; and indeed even the NCT exemption is 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I VRTd a vintage a couple of weeks ago, ncts had to refer it to revenue for a stat code. It took 2 more weeks, by which time it had gone over the 30 days, but it still only cost me €200. Don't worry, you're fine.
    They should have given you a form. Once you get the call or text from ncts bring the signed form and the VLC your nearest vrt office, pay the money and you'll get your plate number straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

With regard to exchanging your MOT for NCT, I've heard people saying that they are no longer accepting UK Mots because of brexit. This is just not true. I've just exchanged mine for an NCT cert valid until May 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turbocab

No. I think you can even argue a manufacturing date if you can produce proof.

Tried that doesnt work,produced cert ot authenticity stating date of manufacture as May 1990 ,car registered in august 1991.Even though it states on coucil website date of manufacture , not date of first registration,Well thats 56 euro they wont get till next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

VRT'd 2 vintage cars in the past years, both times I could not finish the process immediately and had to wait for a phone call from revenue about the value of the car and therefore the VRT price.... 200 euros. I think it took about 3-10 working days. If the date of first registration is 30 years to the day or older you'll be fine. You dont need to bring the car in question back to the NCT center, just the bundle of documents - all of them - dont forget any of the documents on any trip to the NCT center. The amount of times I was in the queue listening to people who forgot their license, proof of X, V5, etc, all either being sent home or on a return visit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

turbocab wrote: »
    Tried that doesnt work,produced cert ot authenticity stating date of manufacture as May 1990 ,car registered in august 1991.Even though it states on coucil website date of manufacture , not date of first registration,Well thats 56 euro they wont get till next year.

It's on the Statute books, at least as far as zv registrations go.

( d ) in the case of a vehicle which the Commissioners are satisfied was constructed or first brought into use more than 30 years prior to the time of registration, and the person applying for registration so requests, an index mark ZV and a unique number.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1992/si/318/made/en/print

Section 9.(1)(d)

When I brought my SL320 across, I booked it in for the VRT within a week but made the appointment for the second last day of the time period. They had to do a valuation which took almost a month. During that time AXA were unable put the car on my Classic Policy for the extra month because they can only insure the car for a month while it was on UK plates. I spoke with a relative who works in the insurance industry about this and the answer back was that even if you manage to get cover for a period of more than a month while on UK plates, you are not actually covered! Be aware

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

You can get cover, the unwillingness to provide such cover probably stems from the point that if the cover exceeds 42 days, they have to grass you up to the Revenue within a month.

If the choose to restrict issuing cover to less than 6 weeks, that saves them any admin in grassing.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2010/act/5/section/111/enacted/en/html

macplaxton wrote: »

Interestingly, if you read that to the letter, a large number of cars on UK plates running around over here are potentially uninsured .....

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

I went to VRT a bike on Saturday last. The staff member told me that the bike wasn't on their system. I offered her ten reg numbers (all my past bikes) that would show it was on the system . She then admitted that revenue don't appear to save their own Stat Codes so it needs to be valued. It won't be any more expensive but just annoying. Hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I went to VRT a bike on Saturday last. The staff member told me that the bike wasn't on their system. I offered her ten reg numbers (all my past bikes) that would show it was on the system . She then admitted that revenue don't appear to save their own Stat Codes so it needs to be valued. It won't be any more expensive but just annoying. Hard to believe.

Not really.

The Urquattro is up there twice, with different codes for each.

Mercedes Benz as a brand is up there twice, once hyphenated, once not.

Thats the quality you're dealing with tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement