Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

One thing that may help people.

I've had terrible issues with the game crashing to desktop. It happened anywhere between 15 and 30 mins into a flight.
    I've been using a Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 and my standard keyboard, a Surface Ergonomic (Bluetooth).

Last night I switched to a wired keyboard, the game has not crashed since, and I managed to do a multi hour online session without an issue.
    The error in the windows event log said c0000005 which is an access violation, I've sent all the details to Microsoft via the flight sim Zendesk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Just PC, there are some decent games on it.
    Thanks.

So, I purchase it from here?
    https://www.xbox.com/en-IE/games/microsoft-flight-simulator

Will have a look at the other games too.

Edit - Ah.. I get it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Suckit wrote: »
    Thanks.

So, I purchase it from here?
    https://www.xbox.com/en-IE/games/microsoft-flight-simulator

Will have a look at the other games too.

Edit - Ah.. I get it. :)

Enjoy cheap flying :D

I used to get my gaming relaxation from Euro Truck Simulator 2, I think I'll be flying instead from now on. Game is a joy and absolutely gorgeous on ultra.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,617 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

.G. wrote: »
    I used to get my gaming relaxation from Euro Truck Simulator 2, I think I'll be flying instead from now on. Game is a joy and absolutely gorgeous on ultra.

Given up driving MAN TGX's for flying Cessna's then :) Can't wait for this to come to Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Some beat me to getting one into the mega pack by a few hours.

Still, here's mine

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pbHM8Dmf_pPZ1O_PTbtRUQVN__nVvxy9/view?usp=sharing

MKC5rss.png?1

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,326 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How long does it take usually for more planes to come out? Looking for A380 and the 777.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Tried a clean install (DDU) of the newest display driver?

I'm seeing 13GB RAM used on my system - No crashes to report as yet.

Did that there and it seemed to be running ok. Got an extended fly around Dublin while also tweaking some graphics. Then flew around Toronto in an A320 and still went ok.

Crashed loading Orlando to Miami, so will try a more local destination.

when will come game pass
    It's already on Game pass, That's how I have it.
    Xbox console release has been delayed.

Is this running smoothly enough on Ryzen 5 3600?
    I thought i read somewhere it's buggy, I guess there will be patches so I am not too worried about them, but I thought I saw something about incompatibilty issue or have I spent far too much time looking around.
    I was going to buy this - https://www.xfxforce.com/gpus/xfx-amd-radeon-tm-rx-5600-xt-6gb-gddr6-thicc-ii-pro

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Did that there and it seemed to be running ok. Got an extended fly around Dublin while also tweaking some graphics. Then flew around Toronto in an A320 and still went ok.

Crashed loading Orlando to Miami, so will try a more local destination.

4 hours later, seems to be quite stable. Updated Nvidia drivers seemed to do it, I initially didn't bother because a lot of people reported it didn't help. I also increased page file but don't think that's necessary. RAM usage doesn't go that high. MSI Afterburner monitoring works too so I can disable the Flight Simulator FPS developer option.

My GTX 1060 seems to handle High settings ok too, the A320 cockpit drops to low 20s but everything else does around 30fps, still very playable. I'm surprised as people have been struggling to run this. Storms and AI aircraft doesn't seem to be much of an issue and those were mentioned in the preview builds all over YouTube to tank your framerate.

Flew around Toronto, Paris and Berlin seeing all the sights, everything runs ok. Flew around Dublin at night with a Ryanair flight inbound, performance was steady. I do have ground traffic off, I'll probably turn that on to see how performance goes.

Tomorrow I'll tackle something like New York and see how I get on.

Not only does it look stunning but just flying around and seeing the sights of the world is a great experience. I'm just flying around casually now exploring, eventually I'll get into the sim aspects of it.

• Advertisement

DaveyDave wrote: »
    My GTX 1060 seems to handle High settings ok too, the A320 cockpit drops to low 20s but everything else does around 30fps, still very playable. I'm surprised as people have been struggling to run this.
    There seems to be something causing a rendering issue inside the A320 cockpit view, I refuse to believer there isn't an error based on how well it runs in comparison once you switch to external, view where all the scenery, buildings and also fuselage still have to be rendered the same.

The difference in this clip from my stream of the final approach of a 45 minute long, mostly cockpit view flight is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I thought i read somewhere it's buggy, I guess there will be patches so I am not too worried about them, but I thought I saw something about incompatibilty issue or have I spent far too much time looking around.
    I was going to buy this - https://www.xfxforce.com/gpus/xfx-amd-radeon-tm-rx-5600-xt-6gb-gddr6-thicc-ii-pro

DX11 limits it to 4 cores so it's not even fully utilising an R5 3600.

I have a 3600 and no issues as of yet.

Also 3600 and no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭briany

Will Microsoft allow crowdsourced improvements to the game? By that, I mainly mean a community system to submit custom 3d renders and textures to the cloud, so that a castle or martello tower appears as such and not as a modern house or yurt-style tent?

DX11 limits it to 4 cores so it's not even fully utilising an R5 3600.

I have a 3600 and no issues as of yet.
    Also 3600 and no issues.
    Great to know, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

I'd love a custom old Aer Lingus livery (i.e. the most recent one). I'd say it's just a matter of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I'm running it on ultra with a Ryzen 5 3600.

Also about the graphics card you're thinking of buying. I recently built a gaming pc and done a lot of research into gpu's and the twin fan xfx model are supposedly bad for thermals.

Did a four hour flight from Dublin to the canaries and ran out of fuel ten minutes from landing. In the assists menu unlimited fuel is set to on though so this must mean something other than what I thought it meant!

I've no idea how to calculate the proper fuel for a flight plan. Any tutorials out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Did a four hour flight from Dublin to the canaries and ran out of fuel ten minutes from landing. In the assists menu unlimited fuel is set to on though so this must mean something other than what I thought it meant!

I've no idea how to calculate the proper fuel for a flight plan. Any tutorials out there?

I use simbrief, go to dispatch > dispatch system, > create new flight, put in your flight details, aircraft type etc. and click generate, it'll give you an ideal route and fuel needed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

I'm terrible at landing. I found Gibraltar great for practicing landings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I find the assists to be buggy as hell.
    For example i have assist feature for auto lights and they never work.

Some day ill be able to this in this sim :P

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1297368867543683083?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Sim is running well on my old PC (Inrel 17 2600K, 16Gb RAM, GTX1060 and dedicated 1TB SSD)

Here's a quick screenie of the A320 in AL colours overhead Bray ...the closest we'll get to the Bray Air Display this year, unfortunately

UojQ0bm.jpg

https://imgur.com/UojQ0bm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Possibly of interest to some people here https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/introduction-to-msfs-sdk-scenery.448469/

Hopefully we start to get some nice fixes, I'd love to get Spanish point tweaked, Shannon and knock fixed

Ciano35 wrote: »
    I use simbrief, go to dispatch > dispatch system, > create new flight, put in your flight details, aircraft type etc. and click generate, it'll give you an ideal route and fuel needed etc.

Came across this this morning on a youtube channel. Looks very interesting. I'll have a nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Couple of screenshots of the default Xcub over AMARG. No performance hit, which was surprising....

0b9mPdi.jpg

MBc0FFs.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Flew realtime from Donegal to Dublin in my DHL skinned light freight delivery type yoke and it got me thinking if the game had some sort of career mode or jobs board something like truck simulator it would be great.

Upon landing in Dublin I started messing around with the drone feature, very cool with live traffic turned on.
    I recorded a bit of it I must upload it later.

Dcully wrote: »
    Flew realtime from Donegal to Dublin in my DHL skinned light freight delivery type yoke and it got me thinking if the game had some sort of career mode or jobs board something like truck simulator it would be great.

Upon landing in Dublin I started messing around with the drone feature, very cool with live traffic turned on.
    I recorded a bit of it I must upload it later.

I believe there are mods that add some sort of airline functionality, but I haven't looked into them.

If you like the A320neo I recommend this dudes channel. Some good guides on it there for newbies. He fly's them for real when he's not laid off due to covid :D

https://www.youtube.com/user/filanjix

The liveries pack posted earlier in the thread has continued to be updated, now up to 100 liveries for different aircraft. I had a look at the Discord server for it earlier and it's not slowing down, there's some really cool stuff being worked on. I'm going to hold off downloading for a few more days as it will keep getting updates it seems. The download link is in the video description.

• Advertisement

And I just saw this posted in that Discord, so holding off another few hours is definitely worth it:
    @everyone Here are some details for our next release, the much anticipated Version 7.

The release will drop tomorrow at 8 PM NYC Eastern Time.

It will include over 65 new liveries, bringing our total to above 150. Most of these liveries are for the A320 and 747-8.

I understand that the amount of liveries is getting immense, and some are hard to find. Thus, I am 90% sure there will be a python script included where you can choose exactly which liveries you want and remove the ones you don't. This will be an interim solution until our official installer releases.

The cutoff for livery submissions to Mega Pack Version 7 is in 20 minutes! After 6:30 PM NYC Eastern, no further requests will be accepted.

Get Hyped for Version 7!

The eventual inclusion of an installer will be very handy.

Advertisement