Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

FFS now I want a third set of plastic paraphernalia.

X52 for Elite Dangerous and DCS
    Yoke and throttle etc for the piston props and now this for pretending I work for RyanAir.

I have been looking at the Honeycomb yoke and quadrant, its pretty configurable so should be OK for more than just Airliners or GA planes.
    https://flyhoneycomb.com/products/alpha-flight-controls

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Skyknight

beanian wrote: »
    Lots of work for you to do in this new Sim! Can't wait to get a proper version of EIDW, EISG, EICK etc

It is more than likely that the modeling system in FS 11(glTF) models scenery format is alot closer to that of FSX(blg) that that of XP. I sure its possible, but the porting process might not be straight forward... From what I understand, progress is being made to allow the conversion of scenery developed for FSX to FS11.

Also for the looks of things Virtual Meath CC need to get cutting the grass at New Grange :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Reinstalling Flight Sim seemed to help last night, managed to get started today. Ridiculous launch, two days to get going!

I'm seeing very mixed results with performance. I've an i7 2700k, 16GB DDR3 and a 6GB GTX 1060. I've seen people with my GPU struggling while others are even getting to High. I've get to dig around or test performance. Happy to see my new house is on Bing, it was only built 6 months ago :)

Needless to say, I'm very excited to give this a shot!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

:D:D

QvWYLMH.jpg

awec wrote: »
    I'll have to watch that later. I assume there'll be some flaws with it given the price point.

Overall a solid purchase he said but a few minor issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

beanian wrote: »
    Lots of work for you to do in this new Sim! Can't wait to get a proper version of EIDW, EISG, EICK etc

I’d love to convert all my airports, I had a look at the sdk yesterday and this morning but it looks like a have a lot of learning to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Skyknight wrote: »
    It is more than likely that the modeling system in FS 11(glTF) models scenery format is alot closer to that of FSX(blg) that that of XP. I sure its possible, but the porting process might not be straight forward... From what I understand, progress is being made to allow the conversion of scenery developed for FSX to FS11.

Also for the looks of things Virtual Meath CC need to get cutting the grass at New Grange :D
    There are a good few barriers to entry in place as well. At the minute the tools Asobo have made for 3D modelling only work with 3DS Max, which will work out expensive.
    I'm paraphrasing, but they've said in the documentation FAQs that blender isn't currently supported and they aren't really planning to add support for it themselves, but the Blender does natively support glTF so it wouldn't be hard for someone with the know how to make the tools work with it.

This is what I think this means for someone porting their scenery from X-Plane 11 to MSFS:
    • Any buildings you've custom 3D modelled in other programs should be able to be ported if you run them through the proper conversion (to use Ciano35's EIKN scenery as an example - the passenger terminal, the GLS warehouses near the B apron, the Europcar building etc. were all custom made).
    • That's it though. All taxiways, runways, ground markings, fences, lampposts, car parks, and custom made buildings will still need to be manually placed/drawn from scratch again. There's a way to open a default airport to tweak it, but I had horrbile luck trying to make it work last night
    I hope I'm wrong and that there's an easier way to do this, but if not then airports will need a lot of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Is it actually possible to use the keyboard. The plane seems so slow to respond to my inputs and then overshoots so much that i crash within a few minutes.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Beersmith wrote: »
    Is it actually possible to use the keyboard. The plane seems so slow to respond to my inputs and then overshoots so much that i crash within a few minutes.

It's possible but incredibly difficult. I wouldn't waste time trying to play with just keyboard and mouse.

Is there tutorials anywhere for the A320 in this? The autopilot is different to the AP in the a320 in the previous version of this game.

• Advertisement

Is there tutorials anywhere for the A320 in this? The autopilot is different to the AP in the a320 in the previous version of this game.

Starting up

Autopilot (seems a long winded video)

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

I took a break for a few years on FS and came back to P3D with the Aerosoft A320 and had the same trouble. But the FMC is so much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxCk7Xvlh5Y

This Guy Doofer911 has a series of videos about starting up the A320. some of the stuff is a bit OTT but iss a great way for you to learn. you can move on through the series.

No obviously, the standard version is a lot more basic to the Aerosoft one so most of the stuff in these videos you wont be able to do but the autopilot works just the same except the flight plan is already loaded in for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Some very interesting Hardware info:

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Some very interesting Hardware info:

Food for thought, thanks!

Christ this game is a piece of work. Kept crashing during flights last night and eventually went back a step and wanted to download the 91GB again...

Left the PC overnight, again, and it's still crashing. Initially there was reports of it being MSI Afterburner so I stopped using that which didn't help.

Seems like crashing is white widespread. Very annoying.

Managed to work around the dodgy twist action for rudder inputs on my old joystick.
    My humble setup :)

IgxTKgH.jpg

If i get into it more ill buy a yoke or hotas or something that adds to the imersion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Been downloading for the past 2 days, still not done :D Trying it out first to see how it does with my 8GB RX570 and R5 2600 before purchasing a joystick.

Is there an issue with the a320 auto throttle in managed mode? It seems to fire past the managed speed and keeps over speeding, toggling autothrottle on/off will trigger it to slow down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Right so. I'm flying my cessna at night for the fist time and I can't see sh!t on my instruments cos its so dark. I've never flown an actual plane so don't know if this is normal but in my car the dash is lit up! Can I get some light or am I an idiot? I've tried pressing "i" and "alt i" which the game seems to suggest activate cockpit lights and a torch but neither did anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Skyknight

I think its might be model dependent... Off the top of my head, I think for the version(Digital) modeled there there rotary switches on the right of the Mix (Red lever)....On the steam /conventional gauge I think there are two on the left of the Throttle (Black Lever),one on top of the other.

• Advertisement

.G. wrote: »
    Right so. I'm flying my cessna at night for the fist time and I can't see sh!t on my instruments cos its so dark. I've never flown an actual plane so don't know if this is normal but in my car the dash is lit up! Can I get some light or am I an idiot? I've tried pressing "i" and "alt i" which the game seems to suggest activate cockpit lights and a torch but neither did anything.
    Assuming it's the 152 you're talking about: The button is hidden behind the yoke. Click it to hide it. To bring it back, click the circle underneath the clock

qZqNGh0.png?1
    J2J5lbn.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

If I buy this (standard edition) from Germany, will it be only German Language? Or can I switch that.

I have looked around, haven't found any info regarding that, I am putting together a build to run it, but not even sure which is the best version to go for. The deluxe/pro/extreme whatever it's called version seems to bug out but I don't know the price difference either, also haven't seen it for sale yet.. :confused:
    I am only reading about it.
    Standard version is all I have seen.

Had to stay up all night to reset my sleep schedule, put the time to good use once I found out someone made a paintkit.
    It's quite low resolution and there are mistakes and inaccuracies I couldn't be bothered to fix after 8 hours at it, but here's an Aer Lingus A320 livery. The first one ever if I'm not mistaken. I might post a download for it tomorrow.

LVa9eNP.png

xeV2ET8.png

WgwBqms.png

Suckit wrote: »
    If I buy this (standard edition) from Germany, will it be only German Language? Or can I switch that.

I have looked around, haven't found any info regarding that, I am putting together a build to run it, but not even sure which is the best version to go for. The deluxe/pro/extreme whatever it's called version seems to bug out but I don't know the price difference either, also haven't seen it for sale yet.. :confused:
    I am only reading about it.
    Standard version is all I have seen.

Sign up for xbox game pass for pc. It's one euro for the first month and 3.99 a month thereafter. The standard edition of the game is included. Bargain.

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Assuming it's the 152 you're talking about: The button is hidden behind the yoke. Click it to hide it. To bring it back, click the circle underneath the clock

qZqNGh0.png?1
    J2J5lbn.png?1

Thanks. I knew those buttons where there from an earlier checklist I did in a daytime flight but never saw that one!

I give up. Flying around Dublin yesterday, worked fine. Set Dublin to Charles de Gaulle and it crashed.

Toronto Islands to Toronto Pearson, worked fine flying around the city. Toronto Islands to Hamilton, crashed.

I might set two local airports and see how I get on flying somewhere else, like Toronto to Buffalo, NY.

Also in Toronto, settings graphics to High crashed the game. CPU and RAM usage aren't maxed though.

I closed Xbox, Corsair, Nvidia control panel and Malwarebytes. V-sync off. Nothing overclocked. Page file increased (I didn't realise it should be 1.5x of physical RAM. It was set to 6GB, I have 8GB. I'll set it to 16GB later)

RAM might be my weakpoint as I only have 8GB DDR3. People with similar specs to me (i7 2700k and 6GB GTX 1060 do seem to be running 16GB RAM) but it's hard to know, loads of people are getting crashes from all kinds of specs.

Tried a clean install (DDU) of the newest display driver?

I'm seeing 13GB RAM used on my system - No crashes to report as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

.G. wrote: »
    Sign up for xbox game pass for pc. It's one euro for the first month and 3.99 a month thereafter. The standard edition of the game is included. Bargain.
    Thanks, Does that require and Xbox and a decent PC, or just PC?

• Advertisement

Suckit wrote: »
    Thanks, Does that require and Xbox and a decent PC, or just PC?

Just PC, there are some decent games on it.

Advertisement