Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shannon estuary

• 22-08-2020 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

Hello,
    I'm after moving to a house on the Shannon estuary and there is a small pier down the road from me. I'm on the look out for a small boat but I've no idea of what's good. I've no experience of boats what so over other than kayaking or the ferry to the UK or France. I'm going to keep an eye on donedeal but I'd like to know what to keep an eye out for. I've heard sheelin boats are very stable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

It really depends which pier and how far into the estuary you are. I was living close enough to Kerry head for about a year and it does get mighty rough out there. Good days were few and far between. Didn't launch my 4.5m rib for the duration.

Even out by Scattery island it can get fairly rough but further inland a 3m SIB might serve you better

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Are you near Kilrush Marina? Might be worth stopping by there and having a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭rothai

Thanks for the advice lads, I'll head into the marina, good tip

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If it's just for yourself have a look at what type of boat the local fishermen are using, if you are planning on bring kids out go for something with a cuddy cabin.

Advertisement