Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Music from Newspaper Promo CDs

• 24-08-2020 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

Does anyone remember when newspapers used to give away CDs that were often promos or compilations? A lot of my earliest exposure to the stuff I like now was through those.

I remember the CDs would have maybe 6-7 well-known tracks while the rest were like local unsigned/indie bands that you've probably never heard of since, which is a bummer as some of those lost tracks are still lodged in my head after all these years!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,764 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m not a regular newspaper buyer as I prefer the convenience of just dipping online for news when I feel like it but love buying the likes of mojo, uncut, q and word as the cds you at times get are a real window into up and coming bands / artists.. just stick the cds in the car and see what’s to be loved.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Foggy Notions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Yeah I got a box full of them. They gave away some really good stuff. I thought the upcoming artist stuff was mainly rubbish personally but you'd get albums full of Beach Boys or David Bowie songs etc. I don't buy newspapers anymore so I never knew that the practice was discontinued.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

I used to love getting the tapes (showing my age here) that came occasionally with Melody Maker (and NME). I have a vague recollection that they gave away one of those weird flexi 7" thingies to promote a new Cult album back in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I remember the old flexi singles. Wish I'd hung onto some of them now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I still have a flexi-single from Fresh magazine from the late 80s, I'd say. The band was Cry Before Dawn, although I was never mad about them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Yeah I got a box full of them. They gave away some really good stuff. I thought the upcoming artist stuff was mainly rubbish personally but you'd get albums full of Beach Boys or David Bowie songs etc. I don't buy newspapers anymore so I never knew that the practice was discontinued.

Ended maybe ten years ago at this stage. The Ireland on Sunday - bought by the Daily Mail and folded in - got nicknamed Golden Discs in the industry as it was reliant on them for sales; you could see the boost in sales figures for issues with big bands.

The Mail did old movies, mostly absolutely awful, on DVD; and the Sunday Times also did the CDs.

Advertisement