Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

#golfgate - will there be any fallout from this on golf?

• 23-08-2020 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭

After the episode of the oireachtas golf society's jolly out in Galway. I wonder will there be any fallout for the rest of the well meaning golfers in the country who have gone about things the right way. I've been listening on the radio(mostly newstalk) for the last two days, everyone giving out yards about the snobbery of golf and how well it fits in with the people who were caught doing wrong. That its about time the golfers who have been so privilaged to this point, to have a game to play, are brought into line with the rest of the country and just as rightly restricted.

I'm really really worried what kind of restrictions we might suffer from as a result of this outing... Anyone else feel we might get the fat end of the shaft here ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I don’t think there will be any further fall out for golf in general. This episode however has done nothing for the general reputation of golf in the wider community.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,108 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

At first I had thought theyll impose restrictions on golf as they seem to blame the majority for the actions of the minority.

Then I thought if people are outraged over this and blame golf, well they cant tell the difference between being in a huge field and a function room, so they should be ignored!

Dont think anything will come of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

Rikand wrote: »
    After the episode of the oireachtas golf society's jolly out in Galway. I wonder will there be any fallout for the rest of the well meaning golfers in the country who have gone about things the right way. I've been listening on the radio(mostly newstalk) for the last two days, everyone giving out yards about the snobbery of golf and how well it fits in with the people who were caught doing wrong. That its about time the golfers who have been so privilaged to this point, to have a game to play, are brought into line with the rest of the country and just as rightly restricted.

I'm really really worried what kind of restrictions we might suffer from as a result of this outing... Anyone else feel we might get the fat end of the shaft here ?

Don’t be ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

As secretary of a golf society I am concerned about what happened. Our next outing is soon and as it's President's Day we want to have a meal after the golf. The host club have assured me that they are allowed to seat us 6 to a table as long as we stay in 1 room. I am trusting the club that they will be compliant with the regulations but after the Clifden debacle, I'm not sure if this is enough. Do I need to personally audit the setup? Should I ask everyone to leave if I see any breach? Have I any personal liability?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Some of those guys never held a golf club in their lives, Happy Gilmore and Caddyshack are the closest they've come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭bren2001

As secretary of a golf society I am concerned about what happened. Our next outing is soon and as it's President's Day we want to have a meal after the golf. The host club have assured me that they are allowed to seat us 6 to a table as long as we stay in 1 room. I am trusting the club that they will be compliant with the regulations but after the Clifden debacle, I'm not sure if this is enough. Do I need to personally audit the setup? Should I ask everyone to leave if I see any breach? Have I any personal liability?

Nobody here can really answer that as you're asking for legal advice. You should get independent legal advice. You should certainly contact the relevant authorities and seek confirmation yourself.

Personally, I'd call off the meal. If the organizing committee wouldn't agree to that, I'd resign as secretary.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

We want to have a meal after the golf

No rules were broke on the golf course. It shouldn't and won't have an effect on people playing golf if restrictions are brought back in.

On the quoted above. Why? You hardly need to have a meal to celebrate a presidents day. Would be a pain in the hole selecting the 45 in your club that could attend the meal.

Just write it off imo until restrictions are relaxed. From what i've seen Wedding venues have been pretty strict with enforcing rules. If member ran clubs don't give a fcuk about restrictions and HAVE to have a meal and awards dished out then rightly clubs and golf as a whole will get more of an awful reputation for not giving a hoot about guidelines. And it will be nothing to do with the ordinary golfer who gets out of his car, plays and goes home which is what should be expected at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Neewollah

Once your numbers are less than 50, in the one room and the venue runs things by the guidelines there is no issue with having a meal afterwards. Don't forget all these venues could be finding things hard at the moment and need the business. I don't see any issue with it once guidelines are followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

No rules were broke on the golf course. It shouldn't and won't have an effect on people playing golf if restrictions are brought back in.

On the quoted above. Why? You hardly need to have a meal to celebrate a presidents day. Would be a pain in the hole selecting the 45 in your club that could attend the meal.

Just write it off imo until restrictions are relaxed. From what i've seen Wedding venues have been pretty strict with enforcing rules. If member ran clubs don't give a fcuk about restrictions and HAVE to have a meal and awards dished out then rightly clubs and golf as a whole will get more of an awful reputation for not giving a hoot about guidelines. And it will be nothing to do with the ordinary golfer who gets out of his car, plays and goes home which is what should be expected at the moment.

It's a society, not a members club:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Neewollah wrote: »
    Once your numbers are less than 50, in the one room and the venue runs things by the guidelines there is no issue with having a meal afterwards. Don't forget all these venues could be finding things hard at the moment and need the business. I don't see any issue with it once guidelines are followed.

This can’t be right. Unless it’s a wedding or a mass the 50 number is out the window. Indoor gatherings are set at 6 people now.

I’d say based on the OP post the club is advising that they can have 6 people to a table because the society dinner is not considered one single gathering.

That’s totally wrong IMO. Big groups of golfers from different households mixing indoors is not allowed and it’s obvious that it’s against the health advice for the moment. If you turn around and address all the tables as a group when making speeches and giving prizes you’re in the clifden scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Neewollah

There is nothing wrong with individual golfers having a meal after their round. All restaurants are still open and in need of business. I'm sure if its a society they may be travelling a distance and will want to get food before travelling home. Maybe best suggestion would be to say on the message to the group that restaurant is open after the round for any one that wants food at their own expense. Presentation will be done outdoors shortly after round. Thats what happened at our last society outing before these new measures came in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

It's a small society. Will have 20 golfers. Prize giving would involve 1 person handing a prize to 1 other. As long as we are at tables separate from each other then it is same as going for food after regular weekend round. Any speeches can be made at a safe distance. Restaurant certainly needs the business.

It's a small society. Will have 20 golfers. Prize giving would involve 1 person handing a prize to 1 other. As long as we are at tables separate from each other then it is same as going for food after regular weekend round. Any speeches can be made at a safe distance. Restaurant certainly needs the business.

You're not allowed a presentations is my understanding as that constitutes a gathering if it is more than 6 people.

People can eat independent of each other at tables up to 6 but no 'Official' presentation can take place.

We had our Captain's prize at the weekend. There was no presentation. Some people were present having food and a drink. Results were read out and that was that.

Might be bit different for a society than a Club as the Club would have to be seen to be following regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

It’s 6 people at one table but they have to be from 3 households!

So you can’t really have social events after outings. Even a 4 ball from 4 different households can’t eat together.

Politicians were speaking up for golf clubs but after recent issues with clubs Having outbreaks and one club having its bar raided i reckon golf won’t get the same support before and if other sports are forced to closedown, so will we.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Which clubs were having outbreaks?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

.. The host club have assured me that they are allowed to seat us 6 to a table as long as we stay in 1 room. I am trusting the club that they will be compliant with the regulations ...
    bren2001 wrote: »
    ... You should get independent legal advice. You should certainly contact the relevant authorities and seek confirmation yourself.

Personally, I'd call off the meal. If the organizing committee wouldn't agree to that, I'd resign as secretary.
    Once your numbers are less than 50, in the one room and the venue runs things by the guidelines there is no issue with having a meal afterwards...
    Raisins wrote: »
    This can’t be right. Unless it’s a wedding or a mass the 50 number is out the window. Indoor gatherings are set at 6 people now. ...
    ...Presentation will be done outdoors shortly after round...
    It's a small society. Will have 20 golfers. Prize giving would involve 1 person handing a prize to 1 other. As long as we are at tables separate from each other then it is same as going for food after regular weekend round. Any speeches can be made at a safe distance....
    Exactly wrote: »
    You're not allowed a presentations is my understanding as that constitutes a gathering if it is more than 6 people.
    Ollieboy wrote: »
    It’s 6 people at one table but they have to be from 3 households!

So you can’t really have social events after outings. Even a 4 ball from 4 different households can’t eat together....

And herein lies the problem, total confusion...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement