Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toll Tax - Rented car - Please Help - Sorted Now - Can be Closed

• 24-08-2020 7:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all,

I rented a car and was unaware of M50 being toll plaza free.

Now, I am clueless how much I owe. I registered for a video eflow account however it is asking for car year and country of registration. I am clueless.

I randomly added country as UK and year as 2016 - In addition to Registration number. It shows no journeys.

What should I do to avoid penalty? Please help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ring eflow.

It’s only one particular point of the m50 that has a toll, and it’s impossible to miss that unless you were asleep.

What? How would making up false car details find your journey? To think they have facial recognition for the driver's?

Put the cars actual registration in

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

When did you go through the toll?
    If it was yesterday you have up until 8pm tonight to pay without penalty.
    If it was before yesterday then you'll pay the penalty.
    Just call eFlow, give them the reg of the car and pay over the phone.

If you've already given the car back to the rental company and dont know the reg, then they'll normally charge your credit card when they receive the penalty in the post. But most rental companies will also add on an "admin fee" for doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Was it a UK registered car? In that case just throw the reg in, the amount of journeys (how many times you passed through and leave it be.
    I've been driving back and forth at least twice a year for 10 years now, forgot to pay once, received a letter about 8 months letter threatening a £120 fine. Went online that day and paid my two trips for a couple of euro and never heard from them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 brianocon77

What? How would making up false car details find your journey? To think they have facial recognition for the driver's?

Put the cars actual registration in

I added right registration number. I do not know when rental company bought the car and which country. Hence, I added the registration number.

called e flow, nothing on database yet.

• Advertisement

El Guapo! wrote: »
    When did you go through the toll?
    If it was yesterday you have up until 8pm tonight to pay without penalty.
    If it was before yesterday then you'll pay the penalty.
    Just call eFlow, give them the reg of the car and pay over the phone.

If you've already given the car back to the rental company and dont know the reg, then they'll normally charge your credit card when they receive the penalty in the post. But most rental companies will also add on an "admin fee" for doing this.

I am fine with the penalty for exceeding 24 hours deadline / 8PM i.e

Car rentals charge admin fees which I wanna avoid and also a scenario where rentals miss a letter and penalty is increased every month. Kind of new here.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I added right registration number. I do not know when rental company bought the car and which country. Hence, I added the registration number.

called e flow, nothing on database yet.

Does the car have an Irish number plate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I am fine with the penalty for exceeding 24 hours deadline / 8PM i.e

Car rentals charge admin fees which I wanna avoid and also a scenario where rentals miss a letter and penalty is increased every month. Kind of new here.

Thanks

I was in a similar situation last year. Missed the deadline by a few days.
    I also didn't want to wait for the rental company to charge me so I just called eflow and paid over the phone.
    The rental company sent me an email with a bill including their admin fee. I explained to them that I already paid the toll and I emailed them the receipt as proof. They were happy enough and I never heard from them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Why would the country of registration be different from the country where you rented the car? If you rented the car in the Republic of Ireland, that's where it's registered. If anyone brought in cars with NI/GB registrations and started renting them out here, they would soon be seized by customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Do not add rental car details to your video account would be my advice ;)

Just pay for single journey.

If you missed the deadline the rental company will pass the bill to you, possibly with administration charge on top of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Why on earth would you set up a video account for a car you rented once???

OP, ring or email eflow and discuss your actual situation with them - they're very good to deal with, and it sounds from your confused posts that you're walking yourself into far more trouble, and possibly expense, than you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Why on earth would you set up a video account for a car you rented once???

+1 and there's a strong possibilty that you won't be able to pick up tolls that happened before you registered so it could be a complete waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

If it’s an Irish rental car, the rental company will take care of the tolls for you and pass on the charge to your bill. Talk to them first.

If it’s a UK/NI rental car, then go into your nearest PayZone outlet and tell them you want to pay for an M50 toll and give them the car registration number.

If it’s a rental car from another country entirely, do fûck all.

PS how did you rent a car with a learner's permit? https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114292430

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

PS how did you rent a car with a learner's permit? https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114292430

Or go on a motorway :D

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Or go on a motorway :D

If you are from other country, you can drive for 12 months.

Rules of road does cover it.....-)

Rules of Road published by RSA - Allows people from other countries with a valid license to drive for 12 Months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Pay by phone. The video tag is only for people that use the motorway regularly

All sorted now. Thread can be closed. No toll was due. Never crossed the toll plaza at any stage.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If it’s an Irish rental car, the rental company will take care of the tolls for you and pass on the charge to your bill.

Hertz will do this.

Avis will not do it.

I don't know about the others as I've only ever used Hertz & Avis in Ireland

• Advertisement

Rules of Road published by RSA - Allows people from other countries with a valid license to drive for 12 Months.

All I am trying to do here is abide by rules and escape a fine.

What license do you have that can't be transferred to an Irish?

Also important to note, if you have a non transferable license and an Irish learner license, it's the learner you are driving on.

What license do you have that can't be transferred to an Irish?

Also important to note, if you have a non transferable license and an Irish learner license, it's the learner you are driving on.

Incorrect possibly - Had checked with NDLS and it was also confirmed by the Rental Company.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

My sister had a rental car for 16 weeks after an accident. All tolls were invoiced to her at the end of the contract. But the rental company take a big slice on top of the toll as a fee. It was in BIG print in the rental agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Incorrect possibly - Had checked with NDLS and it was also confirmed by the Rental Company.
    Would suggest you check again.

https://www.ndls.ie/holders-of-foreign-licences.html#holders-of-driving-licences-from-other-countries

Please Note: Once you obtain an Irish Learner Permit, this will take precedent over your full foreign driving licence and all rules & regulations pertaining to the holder of a learner permit applies / e.g., display of “L”plates, must be accompanied etc.,

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

My sister had a rental car for 16 weeks after an accident. All tolls were invoiced to her at the end of the contract. But the rental company take a big slice on top of the toll as a fee. It was in BIG print in the rental agreement.

It doesn't have to be that way: you can just pay eFlow by 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

The company Aviva rented from have it in BIG print on the front page of the rental agreement.

I dont really care what the rental company said. Local overrules international and the allowance of 12 months is for non residents. Once you are a permanent resident, you are obliged to get an Irish license unless its a recognised EU / EEU license which yours is not

again may I ask where the license is from out of curiosity?

Hertz for example have video accounts for their cars. Why would you pay then?

Advertisement