Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you had covid 19?

• 16-08-2020 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

If so how does it compare to the flu? And how are you now? Are you “completely recovered” or are you having any problems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

Yes, I contracted it on 11th March, and experienced my first symptoms on 15th March (which I think for us in Oz was 11 days before lockdown).

I was never hospitalised overnight, but did go to the ER on three separate occasions.

I did keep a log of symptoms over time, but here is a condensed summary:
    Slightly raised temperature
    Dizzy
    strange headache - like severe pressure all around circumference of the head
    Light Cough
    Light Runny Nose
    Orange Urine
    Shortness of Breath which peaked on around Day 10
    Fatigure
    Chest / Kidney / Heart / Lung Pains
    No appetite / Lost 12kg in FIRST 20 days
    Severe inflammation of intestines/stomach
    Lack of Taste/Smell
    Also impacted mental state and definitely caused some depression for a short period.

** Note I had NO sore throat or fever.**

So it's 156 days (over 5 months) since first symptoms and I'm about 90% recovered. I'm 46 and otherwise perfectly healthy.
    I've had a battery of tests done since - CT scans / MRI / blood tests / breath tests / heart-holter monitor and fortunately there isn't any permanent damage that these results show.
    I have various Medications for many symptoms which largely didnt really help.
    Plenty of supplements and healthy diet since too.

Persistent symptoms at this point are dizziness/tinnitus/gastritis and some ongoing chest pain. Thankfully fatigue has mostly passed..

The upshot is that doctors don't really have a clue on how to deal with this. I was probably unlucky to get it so early (but possibly lucky if TCell immunity is the result). I'm very confident that I will recover, but it may take another few months.

There was a New York Times article that came out a few months ago discussing "long haulers" and prolonged recovery, and there is a support group (using Slack) that you can request access to. I think they have about 7000+ members in there (from US/UK/Europe/Oz and even NZ!), where most are experiencing long haul recovery. There are some who were infected in Wuhan in December and are still not recovered - so that's tracking a 9 month recovery so far (not hospitalised - so a mild case according to WHO). The percentage of people in my situation is likely very small though - possibly 3 - 5 %.

I've only had the real flu once, back in 1999, and for me it was absolutely nothing like that.

Have you had it Annie? And have you recovered ok?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Did you get a positive test? I'm 99.9% sure I had it. Most likely infected on March 14th, first symptoms on the evening of March 18th when I had a short workout that would never normally have left me out of breath but I couldn't catch my breath for hours afterwards. I developed a sore throat at that point too. By the next day any exertion, like slowly walking to the kitchen or just talking would leave me gasping for breath. I had mild flu like symptoms for a few days but the shortness of breath on exertion and a heavy, tight pain around my chest lasted nearly 3 weeks. It was totally defined by exertion, I mainly stayed in bed for the three weeks where I could take shallow breaths without pain or "belly breathe" if I felt desperate for oxygen. Toward the end, I'd feel better, get up and do a few more bits and pieces around the house and end up feeling worse again very quickly.

On day 20 I suddenly recovered completely. I was wary because of the 2 steps forward 1 step back kind of recovery. But by day 24 I threw caution to the wind and had an extremely, extremely active day and ended up triggering post-viral inflammation all around my chest wall which started on Good Friday. Pleurisy in the right lung, costochondritis, mild myocarditis, esophagitis. I also have recurrent esophagial/oral thrush, partially from my immune system being low and party from the proton pump inhibitor medication I was was on. I'm 41 but was genuinely super fit. I figure that my fitness was actually my downfall as I started exercising too soon after recovery. If I'd been less anxious to get back to my normal high levels of exercise, I'd have rested for longer and never had the post viral inflammation. I'd also had the worst flu I'd ever had in January after a period of extreme stress. Completely different to my March virus but I guess my immune system was at a bit of a low after that.

Since the start of the July I've been recovered enough to live my life pretty close to normally. I still have the thrush and the costochondritis flares up, especially with driving. I have put on about 7kg (while losing a lot of muscle) which doesn't seem to be shifting and that can be as a result of inflammation so I'm mindful of not pushing myself too hard. But so far I'm back to quite intensive exercise levels and I'm not relapsing. I've had a number of tests at hospital which show no long term damage. I'm not sure how much longer it will take to recover I keep thinking I'm 95% recovered, recovering a bit but still assessing myself as 95% recovered. I figure I should be 100% fine at some point before the end of the year but I mightn't even notice when it happens.

My seven year old most probably got it from me too. But he just had a dry cough and stomach problems for a few days about a week after my symptoms started.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

I think I may have had it from February
    One day in Feb my face was burning, I had an awful pain in my head& it felt like I was coming down with a head cold. My nose poured mucous which has never happened to me before to the extent I had to hold tissues constantly up to nose for my entire shift that day, it just wouldn’t stop (sorry for the tmi!)
    Within 24 hours those symptoms were gone.
    Nearly exactly 2 weeks later I went to my GP as was having issues with my chest (I have asthma) so thought it was a flair up as my husband and one of my children had already been to the GP the week/ 2 weeks beforehand with coughs.
    He said I was probably getting the tail end of whatever virus they had.
    I was on reliever inhalers as well as several doses of oral steroids for over a month- no relief.
    It got quite bad on one or two nights where I nearly rang an ambulance for myself due to tightness in my chest and inability to get a proper breath (which lasted days and was beyond terrifying)
    Over a period of weeks I had continuous tightness in my chest, the most awful pains/ pressure in my chest and twice or so I had a terrifying sensation that my lungs/ back felt like someone had set a fire in them. Despite being a healthy weight I lost 14lbs & I have had heart palpitations and several headaches and sore throat on and off since
    I never had a fever but did have muscle aches and pains
    My GP referred me and another one of my children in March for a Covid test as they developed a cough. Our tests were cancelled as we did not have fevers so did not meet the criteria for a test at the time.
    My children only ever had a cough as did my husband- but his cough lasted months and was quite bad

However what makes me think that I might not have had it is that I was fine after the head cold and other symptoms didn’t manifest until 2 weeks or so after that
    My 1st symptom was in mid Feb when Covid wasn’t widespread (?)
    I also suffer from anxiety so I accept a lot of my symptoms could have been psychosomatic.
    I am asthmatic and i would also get many of these symptoms after attacks- such as chest pains/ pressure, palpitations and muscle pains

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I never got tested but I had very mild symptoms around paddy's day. I felt fatigued and had a bit of a fever. It was gone in a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,749 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I had some of the symptoms at start of March but no temperature so didn't meet threshold for test.
    I was having pain when breathing deep etc for maybe 4/5 days, also pain in my back weirdly. I also was wrecked and sore all over (not like me at all). Oh and my sense of taste weirdly!
    I am in my 30s and I'm in good health very rare I would get anything.
    But I did get pneumonia when I was 18/19 and hit bad by it so a tad worried at the time.
    Right as rain within about 5/6 days.
    So who really knows I guess.
    I was working from home at time so self isolated for the 14 days just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

There's antibody testing available now. Not 100% reliable, but would curiosity not get the better of yiz?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Laszlo Cravensworth

A very close family friend contracted it. He was more or less bed ridden for the better part of 6 weeks. This lad is 39 years old, no previous health issues, very competitive marathon runner and lives a very healthy lifestyle. He couldn't believe how badly it affected him. He's still not fully recovered but is 90% of the way there.

gabeeg wrote: »
    There's antibody testing available now. Not 100% reliable, but would curiosity not get the better of yiz?

I would have in April/ early May but the antibody seems to recede so quickly that it would most likely be a waste of money by the time they became available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I never got tested but I had very mild symptoms around paddy's day. I felt fatigued and had a bit of a fever. It was gone in a couple of days.

That's the really weird thing about Covid-19, just comparing your symptoms with those suffered by poster #2. Massive spectrum of variation from person to person :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Yeah I 100%, definitely had it, no doubt about it.

I was one of the asymptomatic sufferers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Yeah I 100%, definitely had it, no doubt about it.

I was one of the asymptomatic sufferers.

Eh... Never mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

One of our neighbours had it bad. She spent 9 days in hospital and lost around 2 stone in weight. She regularly walked her dog twice a day and I mean proper walks but is unable to walk for anymore than around 10 minutes now before almost collapsing. I take her dog out with mine now when I can as she has no family here in Ireland.

This woman is mid 40's and hasn't returned to work either as she's still in recovery. She described the symptoms of the virus to me a few weeks back and I want nó part of it. It sounds horrendous and a real life changer for some.

I hope she fully recovers in time but who knows the full extent of this fcuking thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AnnieOaks

Yes, I contracted it on 11th March, and experienced my first symptoms on 15th March (which I think for us in Oz was 11 days before lockdown).

I was never hospitalised overnight, but did go to the ER on three separate occasions.

Dizzy
    Light Cough
    Light Runny Nose
    Orange Urine
    Fatigure
    Lack of Taste/Smell
    Also impacted mental state and definitely caused some depression for a short period.

So it's 156 days (over 5 months) since first symptoms and I'm about 90% recovered. I'm 46 and otherwise perfectly healthy.
    I've had a battery of tests done since - CT scans / MRI / blood tests / breath tests / heart-holter monitor and fortunately there isn't any permanent damage that these results show.

Persistent symptoms at this point are dizziness/tinnitus/gastritis and some ongoing chest pain. Thankfully fatigue has mostly passed..

The upshot is that doctors don't really have a clue on how to deal with this. I was probably unlucky to get it so early (but possibly lucky if TCell immunity is the result). I'm very confident that I will recover, but it may take another few months.

There was a New York Times article that came out a few months ago discussing "long haulers" and prolonged recovery, and there is a support group (using Slack) that you can request access to. I think they have about 7000+ members in there (from US/UK/Europe/Oz and even NZ!), where most are experiencing long haul recovery. There are some who were infected in Wuhan in December and are still not recovered - so that's tracking a 9 month recovery so far (not hospitalised - so a mild case according to WHO). The percentage of people in my situation is likely very small though - possibly 3 - 5 %.

I've only had the real flu once, back in 1999, and for me it was absolutely nothing like that.

Thank you for the very detailed response. Sounds mental and I hope you do recover completely.
    No I have not had the virus but just curious as to others experiences with it. And as others have pointed out, and from what I have been reading for months is that this varies from person to person and there is no telling what way it will go with a person. Scary stuff indeed. I am pretty fearful of catching it as I have asthma and I smoke also 😭 (I know dumb but don’t grill me plz) but i just hope some sort of immunity is gained for the long haul in people.. and that people cop on and we alll get through this weird ass time together. Thank you all for your replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Dizzy
    Light Cough
    Light Runny Nose
    Orange Urine
    Fatigure
    Lack of Taste/Smell

Annie are you ok are you ok, are you ok Annie?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

AnnieOaks wrote: »
    If so how does it compare to the flu? And how are you now? Are you “completely recovered” or are you having any problems?

Yep, I had it. Was in hospital for two weeks in April. Was on oxygen for three or four days but avoided ICU thank god. I'm 60 and with a renal transplant so I'm well up the list of the 'oh bolloc*ks' patients. I suppose it is somewhat like the flu although I never felt like dying with the flu. With COVID I had at least one day where I absolutely wanted to die, it was so bad. Thankfully I didn't. Because I'm immunosuppressed I had lots of other stuff going on, as well as all the regular COVID symptoms that you hear about. E Coli in the blood, pneumonia, UTI, Hepatitis B and liver issues which probably took the longest to recover. I felt fine about three weeks after leaving hospital and really don't think I've suffered any lasting effects. But only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭seenitall

iguana wrote: »
    I would have in April/ early May but the antibody seems to recede so quickly that it would most likely be a waste of money by the time they became available.

A friend (not in Ireland) had it beginning of April, a positive test with a bit of sore throat, grand otherwise. He got tested for antibodies two weeks ago, yup, antibodies still there.

I’m pretty sure I had it in April as well, I described my experience of how I contracted it in a post of 8th April (I think), posting in Corona in Workplace thread (too lazy to go looking for the post). Anyway, woke up one day with a very sore throat, completely wiped out. The day prior I absolutely 100% felt major activity going on in lymph nodes. (I am very attuned to my body and take a sihtload of health supplements to balance the hormones and boost energy.)

Self-isolated for two weeks from that morning on, sore throat and major fatigue stayed the only symptoms, so couldn’t get tested. Done and dusted before the two weeks expired. I’m now happy if that’s what it was, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Interesting to see that, despite Boards being the busiest I've seen it in almost a decade, that there's just 17/18 replies to this thread so far

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MontyChips

Never officially diagnosed but back in March, around the time the lockdown was announced, I remember having a sore throat, a general feeling of unwellness and shortness of breath. I suspect it was Covid but then again nobody I lived with ever became ill. Six months later I still have chest/lung pain and intensive exercise takes a lot out of me. Spoke to my GP about this and they said that they are seeing a lot of people present with similar problems post-Covid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I think I may have had it from February
    One day in Feb my face was burning, I had an awful pain in my head& it felt like I was coming down with a head cold. My nose poured mucous which has never happened to me before to the extent I had to hold tissues constantly up to nose for my entire shift that day, it just wouldn’t stop (sorry for the tmi!)
    Within 24 hours those symptoms were gone.
    Nearly exactly 2 weeks later I went to my GP as was having issues with my chest (I have asthma) so thought it was a flair up as my husband and one of my children had already been to the GP the week/ 2 weeks beforehand with coughs.
    He said I was probably getting the tail end of whatever virus they had.
    I was on reliever inhalers as well as several doses of oral steroids for over a month- no relief.
    It got quite bad on one or two nights where I nearly rang an ambulance for myself due to tightness in my chest and inability to get a proper breath (which lasted days and was beyond terrifying)
    Over a period of weeks I had continuous tightness in my chest, the most awful pains/ pressure in my chest and twice or so I had a terrifying sensation that my lungs/ back felt like someone had set a fire in them. Despite being a healthy weight I lost 14lbs & I have had heart palpitations and several headaches and sore throat on and off since
    I never had a fever but did have muscle aches and pains
    My GP referred me and another one of my children in March for a Covid test as they developed a cough. Our tests were cancelled as we did not have fevers so did not meet the criteria for a test at the time.
    My children only ever had a cough as did my husband- but his cough lasted months and was quite bad

However what makes me think that I might not have had it is that I was fine after the head cold and other symptoms didn’t manifest until 2 weeks or so after that
    My 1st symptom was in mid Feb when Covid wasn’t widespread (?)
    I also suffer from anxiety so I accept a lot of my symptoms could have been psychosomatic.
    I am asthmatic and i would also get many of these symptoms after attacks- such as chest pains/ pressure, palpitations and muscle pains

I had a runny nose like that as well back in February. It was very unusual for me.

I had a runny nose like that as well back in February. It was very unusual for me.

I empathize somewhat with your worry over this Fairies, it's probably the most stressed I've been in my life too (or at least top 2). But you can't equate a runny nose on it's own as even remotely Covid like

Unless you were, runny nose aside, Asymptomatic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 AnnieOaks

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Interesting to see that, despite Boards being the busiest I've seen it in almost a decade, that there's just 17/18 replies to this thread so far

Tbh I’m quite surprised myself. Considering how “rampant” the disease supposedly is. And I comply with the restrictions have been trying to be as responsible as possible. Just thought with so many getting it surely a few more would of had something more to say about It.

I think this may be the second of these threads since April though

It's pages and pages back and I can't remember the wording of the title to do a search

I empathize somewhat with your worry over this Fairies, it's probably the most stressed I've been in my life too (or at least top 2). But you can't equate a runny nose on it's own as even remotely Covid like

Unless you were, runny nose aside, Asymptomatic

I had a bad flu (for the first time I can remember) back in late January and I had bad sinus symptoms with it. It was wholly different to what I experienced in March so there was a nasty flu doing the rounds in late winter. I'd had the flu vaccine in October, so it was most likely a strain not on that.

I think this may be the second of these threads since April though

It's pages and pages back and I can't remember the wording of the title to do a search

The "Have you been tested?" thread had a lot of us on it, especially once so many of us got bumped off the waiting list for a test. But it wasn't the only thread where posters who were ill at the time posted about it. The thing is that while this illness is pretty all encompassing when you have it, once you are mostly recovered, it recedes in importance. I still have lingering issues but they are mostly an irritant rather than something that takes up much space in my mind. And for those who didn't have months and months of illness but never got a test, it's really hard to know what happened. If I hadn't had all of the post-viral crap, being oddly sick for a few weeks back in March with no confirmation of Covid, would be something that I wouldn't be very sure of now.

Haven't heard of him before but apparently he's an American actor

Michael Yo explains his crazy experience with it here

Some takeaway points he makes:
    • "The pain was so bad that if someone had offered me an Eject button on life I'd have pressed it"
    • He passed it onto his mother, she had a fever for a day and that was it, versus his 8 days in ICU
    • Was told he survived because he wasn't put on a ventilator
    • Was told that 80% of those put on a ventilator didn't make it
    • Was told that if he had passed away that his migraines would've been listed as a per-exisiting condition

He starts describing his symptoms from here https://youtu.be/IgEUsIIhl0A?t=294

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Just a note to above video migraines are a neurological condition and may put you at an elevated risk of stroke, not just another headache...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭billyhead

I think I may have had it. Around the end of March I started suffering from fatigue and blister red rashes formed on both hands. The hands swelled up. I went to the GP and he put me on steroid antibiotics. Still had the hands problem 10 days later. He couldn't figure out the problem so I was send to A&E. After been referred to a dermatologist and having numerous blood, stool and urine tests the doctors couldn't diagnose what caused the hands to go that way. The results of the 1st blood test taken initially in A@E showed high levels of white blood cells which the doctor said was usually a sign of the body having overcome an infection. Hands are grand now and I feel fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

billyhead wrote: »
    I think I may have had it. Around the end of March I started suffering from fatigue and blister red rashes formed on both hands. The hands swelled up. I went to the GP and he put me on steroid antibiotics. Still had the hands problem 10 days later. He couldn't figure out the problem so I was send to A&E. After been referred to a dermatologist and having numerous blood, stool and urine tests the doctors couldn't diagnose what caused the hands to go that way. The results of the 1st blood test taken initially in A@E showed high levels of white blood cells which the doctor said was usually a sign of the body having overcome an infection. Hands are grand now and I feel fine.

Symptoms are so weird with everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭billyhead

Symptoms are so weird with everyone.

I know. The Dermatologists and doctors didn't have a clue what caused it. At the end of my final visit to the hospital I was asked was I ever tested for the virus. I have heard of children getting rashes from contracting the Corona though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

iguana wrote: »
    The "Have you been tested?" thread had a lot of us on it, especially once so many of us got bumped off the waiting list for a test. But it wasn't the only thread where posters who were ill at the time posted about it. The thing is that while this illness is pretty all encompassing when you have it, once you are mostly recovered, it recedes in importance. I still have lingering issues but they are mostly an irritant rather than something that takes up much space in my mind. And for those who didn't have months and months of illness but never got a test, it's really hard to know what happened. If I hadn't had all of the post-viral crap, being oddly sick for a few weeks back in March with no confirmation of Covid, would be something that I wouldn't be very sure of now.
    The lingering issues I can identify with. Mine was from early February. 3/4 days of breathlessness. Very difficult to breath for a certain 1/2 day period in which I nearly went to the hospital (and my head told me I should go, but I didn’t). The illness I had started with symptoms of cold, ie runny nose and finished with coughing. It took about 10 days to clear. The lingering symptoms started more like bad asthma, but it improved with time. I had to get sediment in my lungs cleared a month ago. After taking a course of tablets over 5 days I woke up one day and felt like I had a new pair of lungs. 2/3 days later I could feel the sediment return. It’s not causing me any real issues, I just find that I can’t run like I used to. It’s not fitness, it’s just I can’t get enough oxygen after running for a certain period, but not causing problems day to day.

As mine was very very early, I wasn’t tested, and actually didn’t even notify anyone at the time. But the docs I’ve seen since say it’s more than likely that it was Covid. My GP said she had people present with similar symptoms in January.

Advertisement