Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gareth O'Callaghan nails what many of us are thinking...

• 23-08-2020 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

I'm still shocked at the stupidity of those attending the "protest". I just can't seem to put into words the anger I feel.
    This man, I think, nails it on the head.
    From his Facebook post...

"This is a message to all those anti-mask protestors in Dublin yesterday. Like many others reading this, I have a serious illness, and this is how I spend mornings each week receiving treatment to keep my immune system strong and my body healthy. I don't want to catch Covid-19.

When I'm not on my own in this clinical treatment room I wear a face mask to protect me from idiots like you. Can you not show any care or compassion for the elderly and the most vulnerable who you scare, who might not be able to fight this virus if they catch it? People like your own parents?

Do you honestly think your parents or your children are proud of you for what you did yesterday, for behaving like a bunch of ignorant self-centred fools who seem to think there's some sort of solidarity in stupidity? You have been brainwashed.

Your actions yesterday are a direct slap in the face to our brave frontliners. Many of them continue to risk their lives to treat seriously ill coronavirus patients. Some of our frontliners are dead as a result of bravely putting their own lives on the line. They died tragically, and now you have the disgusting audacity to go and do exactly what could kill more of them by putting their lives at risk.

If you think you did something valiant and worthwhile yesterday, then you really need to take a long hard look at your life. Do you think your elderly parents will admire your behaviour yesterday? Do you think your kids will tell all their friends or their teachers about your protest when they return to school next week? No they won't. They're mortified by you, even though they probably won't tell you. You are a joke, even though it's not remotely funny.

Someday you might be staring up into the eyes of a paramedic, or a nurse, as they wheel you into ICU because you are critically ill with this virus. All you will be able to see is their eyes because they're wearing PPE gear to protect themselves against catching Covid-19 from you.

Do all of us who respect life, and how fragile it is and how uncertain these times are, a big favour: Grow up and get some sense.

Wear a mask. Wash your hands. Educate yourselves. Do something decent with your lives that your children will be proud of you for. Stop putting other people's lives at risk."

I have to say, I agree.
    Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

Your dealing with conspiracy theory believers and scrotes best of luck with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

Really shocked how popular this idiocy has become, more and more people seem to be getting on board with the anti mask nonsense.

The best thing to come out of this whole pandemic is that I now know who I can't trust when the going gets tough- from people breaking lockdown, hoarding, spouting conspiracy bull**** and generally being selfish. Plenty of people I have no interest in associating with anymore when this is all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭Treppen

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Your dealing with conspiracy theory believers and scrotes best of luck with that.

I reckon they're cut from the same cloth as barrets bootboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There is no talking to rent a mobs with an agenda to disrupt and defy everything. Sadly.

Treppen wrote: »
    I reckon they're cut from the same cloth as barrets bootboys.

Ah the patriots who like to try and bring 1916 revolutionaries into everything they spout, while being sub members of anti Irish English groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

But, but what about their sybil liberdees?

Bunch of fúckin idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

People are idiots...

Had to ask what the protest was about yesterday. When told I was sad.
    Have tools like that got nothing better to do...but I already know the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Autism causes vacation brigade

Yes that is the idea behind their argument in that styling

• Registered Users Posts: 28,091 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Professor Carl Hennigan giving advice to the Irish covid 19 special advisory committee a week ago. We'd do well to fact check mandatory government policy before blindly accepting it.

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/masking-lack-of-evidence-with-politics/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Really shocked how popular this idiocy has become, more and more people seem to be getting on board with the anti mask nonsense.

The best thing to come out of this whole pandemic is that I now know who I can't trust when the going gets tough- from people breaking lockdown, hoarding, spouting conspiracy bull**** and generally being selfish. Plenty of people I have no interest in associating with anymore when this is all over.
    That's been one of the saddest things about this for me. Finding out the people in my life who don't give a damn about anyone else. On the other hand, I've also seen the people who have been doing their bit, and particularly the ones who have just got on with it without making any fuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A protest over a mask, pathetic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    A protest over a mask, pathetic

Did I see pictures of some of them wearing masks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Same here. Seeing friends on Instagram out in pubs sitting close together, hugging each other while drinking away, having house parties etc
    I'm just sat here thinking you're a bunch of cunce without 2 brain cells to rub together.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭sibersha

I am absolutely astonished at how many people attended this protest and at how many support their "cause" on twitter.

Every country has their fair share of idiots but this conspiracy nonsense seems to be spreading at a very worrying rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,097 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

sibersha wrote: »
    I am absolutely astonished at how many people attended this protest and at how many support their "cause" on twitter.

Every country has their fair share of idiots but this conspiracy nonsense seems to be spreading at a very worrying rate.

It was only a thousand people or so, just to add some perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭JoannieG

Did I see pictures of some of them wearing masks?

Yep. If you look closely, there's a few wearing masks.

Jim Corr was there, so tells you all you need to know about that gathering really.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭sibersha

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It was only a thousand people or so, just to add some perspective.

It is indeed a relatively small portion of the population but I'm still astounded that 1,000 people would buy into this **** so much they would attend the protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

This is the Dunning-Kruger effect at play. The smartest most informed people generally have doubts about the extent of their knowledge. The confidence of these people suggests they're very early in the knowledge cycle. Besides the fact that what they're spouting is totally baseless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

JoannieG wrote: »
    Yep. If you look closely, there's a few wearing masks.

To show their support but not wanting to be recognised (one of the advantages of mask wearing).
    I suspect there would have been a lot more there but they fear for their jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

sibersha wrote: »

Every time our betters disregard the rules and best practice they impose on the rest of us they give oxygen to those idiots.

Every time special dispensations are made for certain protests they encourage these people to hold theirs.

That OP is full of the kind of nonsense, fear and hysteria that has led us to this point.

The death rate of Covid in Ireland is tiny. Only 1777 "deaths". Factor in that the government have openly admitted to overstating the deaths by a lot. And lots of the deaths are people that died WITH Covid as opposed to OF Covid.

Perhaps we should act like grown ups and accept that some people will get sick and some people might die. The same way lots of other illnesses kill people each year.

Time to get back to work while there is still an economy left to salvage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

i was there . I was there only for the masks/restrictions , i'd no interest in any other agenda.
    Any protest will bring people with different agendas and that's just how it is .

I don't know of O'Callaghans previous but we can see people like jedward (I know they aren't the greatest example but their stance was highlighted so it's a good example in that way) slammed the march yet went to the BLM march. These idiots justified it cos their concern mattered but the concerns they don't agree with don't matter.

I'm protesting because of the infringement on our civil liberties primarily.
    The recent decision that a garda can enter my house on their opinion that i've a few lads over is frightening. That's real police state stuff and if you don't see that then that's really weird. If your personal freedoms don't matter to you - that's fine but they are important to me.

I also don't believe the numbers and severity of the illness warrant the enforcement of lockdowns and restrictions.
    If you want restrictions that is fine. We can do like Japan - which has had similar restrictions to ours but they aren't law nor mandatory but guidelines. But that isn't what is here in ireland.

For people giving out about protestors (like me).
    What is your red line from the government?
    When will you say , that the restrictions have gone too far?

Chances are when you finally think that , it will probably be too late to reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,579 ✭✭✭✭walshb

DubInMeath wrote: »

And serious attention seekers..

A day out for their social media profiles for the absolute majority of them..

• Registered Users Posts: 54,579 ✭✭✭✭walshb

There is no talking to rent a mobs with an agenda to disrupt and defy everything. Sadly.

Nail on the head..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

That OP is full of the kind of nonsense, fear and hysteria that has led us to this point.

The death rate of Covid in Ireland is tiny. Only 1777 "deaths". Factor in that the government have openly admitted to overstating the deaths by a lot. And lots of the deaths are people that died WITH Covid as opposed to OF Covid.

Perhaps we should act like grown ups and accept that some people will get sick and some people might die. The same way lots of other illnesses kill people each year.

While there is a lot of truth in that , and the medical professionals have made large steps in treating those with serious covid , how much of the relatively low death rate is due to the major efforts to stop the spread of the virus ?
    Most of us are back or getting back to work .
    It's grand saying ah some people will die , untill it's your parents or grandparents who end up in the ICU .

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The Spanish flu pandemic 100 years ago took out 50 to 100 million people worldwide.
    We are not seeing those numbers thankfully because of the measures imposed despite the best work of the paranoid gimps on Saturday.
    Maybe if you contract the virus, come on here and tell us how it feels and how proud you feel to have been right :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Markcheese wrote: »
    While there is a lot of truth in that , and the medical professionals have made large steps in treating those with serious covid , how much of the relatively low death rate is due to the major efforts to stop the spread of the virus ?
    Most of us are back or getting back to work .
    It's grand saying ah some people will die , untill it's your parents or grandparents who end up in the ICU .

The death rate is low now because the new infections are concentrated among the young. We can keep it that way by keeping the elderly cooped up indefinitely.
    As a young person I think that's disgraceful, and I'll do anything I can to allow older people to live their life normally and without fear. Wearing a mask for a few short periods a day is not too onerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Don't be knocking Jedward!

Jedward for president, he's a great lad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

People flipping out over some minor restriction that are actually good for the health of the most vulnerable in our society is absolutely disgusting, whinging about their ‘freedoms’ and ‘civil liberties’ but not giving a **** about those very freedoms of the vulnerable who are actually affected by this disease.

Can only imagine the crying that would go on if there was an actually emergency.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement